5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

E-torque charging mod-idea floating

Panhandle Ram

Reaction score
So, I haven't heard of any talk about modding this new E-torque setup on FCA products. Probably for good reasons, but maybe not!
I see potential in 3 mods to the new E-torque systems that don't seem too unrealistic but not for electrical novices either. What do you guys think?
# 1) Add a method of charging other than the stock charging method of idle/downshift+upshift/regen braking/cruising.
Specifically I had the idea of a tri-fold tonneau cover made of solar panels sending a slow charge to the e-torque batteries through out the day.
1a)Figure out if RAM already regulates battery charge while OFF or create a controller to cut charging when full while truck is off and parked. (power controller off standard battery under hood?) Just like what we have on our phones and other chargers to protect the batteries.
Truck sat in sun the whole day prior to me getting in it too. I see potential!!
#2) If able to generate surplus power from additional charge method, ADD another identical battery in PARALLEL to increase total potential energy stored without increasing the output.
#3) (Less important to me and sounds more like needing rams helping cracking ECM/PCM or w/e else hinders this idea)
Modding when e-torque battery assist is activated (maybe a manual e-torque button overriding RAM stock settings) A mini nitrous button minus the nitrous!

Last edited:

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So, I haven't heard of any talk about modding this new E-torque setup on FCA products. Probably for good reasons, but maybe not!
I see potential in 3 mods to the new E-torque systems that don't seem too unrealistic but not for electrical novices either. What do you guys think?
# 1) Add a method of charging other than the stock charging method of idle/downshift+upshift/regen braking/cruising.
Specifically I had the idea of a tri-fold tonneau cover made of solar panels sending a slow charge to the e-torque batteries through out the day.
1a)Figure out if RAM already regulates battery charge while OFF or create a controller to cut charging when full while truck is off and parked. (power controller off standard battery under hood?) Just like what we have on our phones and other chargers to protect the batteries.
Truck sat in sun the whole day prior to me getting in it too. I see potential!!
#2) If able to generate surplus power from additional charge method, ADD another identical battery in PARALLEL to increase total potential energy stored without increasing the output.
#3) (Less important to me and sounds more like needing rams helping cracking ECM/PCM or w/e else hinders this idea)
Modding when e-torque battery assist is activated (maybe a manual e-torque button overriding RAM stock settings) A mini nitrous button minus the nitrous!
I like the ideas. I’d also like to know whether a higher-output motor (generator) or additional gear reduction can be applied without belt slippage.

Panhandle Ram

Reaction score
I'd imagine they will expand on e-torque's design and functions as they tinker with it.. but will our 19's be able to add the changes?
Also thinking of making my own window sticker for Ram E-torques for those who may have ideas on a design. Funny or serious, I wanna hear it!
I may be able to make some duplicates of what I make for members on my off time if interest is high and time is available with some shipping compensation.
I had a funny idea for sticker. Sideview of Ram logo with human body with a duracell half up the rear and lightning style effects. LOL
Another being- text: RAM E-TORQUE with modified Ram logo below.
another: Energizer bunny faceswapped with Ram logo. LOL

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'd imagine they will expand on e-torque's design and functions as they tinker with it.. but will our 19's be able to add the changes?
Also thinking of making my own window sticker for Ram E-torques for those who may have ideas on a design. Funny or serious, I wanna hear it!
I may be able to make some duplicates of what I make for members on my off time if interest is high and time is available with some shipping compensation.
I had a funny idea for sticker. Sideview of Ram logo with human body with a duracell half up the rear and lightning style effects. LOL
Another being- text: RAM E-TORQUE with modified Ram logo below.
another: Energizer bunny faceswapped with Ram logo. LOL
Note that it’s “eTorque”, not “E-Torque”.

I’ve posted this before, bu I think FCA missed the opportunity to do some branding here, even if it were just a small lightning bolt or electric charge symbol on the hood badging (e.g. HEMI with a battery or “+” symbol after it).

Panhandle Ram

Reaction score
Good catch, I agree, and something that subtle probably would have been a win.
I'm not ashamed of "hybrid" style tech designed to assist the largest drawback of the hemi. Fuel economy. Ram thought most of us were apparently.. Its not a moped, its fun even when your friends see you riding it. lol

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Note that it’s “eTorque”, not “E-Torque”.

I’ve posted this before, bu I think FCA missed the opportunity to do some branding here, even if it were just a small lightning bolt or electric charge symbol on the hood badging (e.g. HEMI with a battery or “+” symbol after it).

A year ago I did some searching looking for a logo to put on my truck so I could park in hybrid spaces. I think the closest I got was the blue leaf from a Chrysler minivan. At least it's in the family.

Panhandle Ram

Reaction score
ram 1500 in the hybrid parking. Love it. I never heard of or seen Hybrid spaces b4. what state Edwards?

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
ram 1500 in the hybrid parking. Love it. I never heard of or seen Hybrid spaces b4. what state Edwards?

TX. They are disappearing fast and being replaced by electric only spaces so I missed my window!

Users who are viewing this thread