5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dust kicking up issues

radar09

Reaction score
Does anyone else have a lot of dust collecting on the rear window and tailgate with the new body style?
I’m having dust in cab issues but notice that the dust settles on my back window and between the box and cab as well as the tailgate and rear bumper like crazy. Wondering if anyone else has this same issue? FYI I live on 1/2 mile f gravel only.

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Get the wheel liners for the rear. A friend showed my massive dust accumulation on his truck right after he washed it and drove it. I drove further than he did and had nothing on my bumper. The wheel liners are inexpensive and probably do more than just prevent mud collection behind the wheels.

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Even with wheel liners dust always builds up on my tailgate and bumper first just like it has any of my trucks in recent history except when I ran a topper. Must have disrupted the airflow over the truck differently.

radar09

Reaction score
I’ve got a 2015 1500, a 2016 3500, and a 22 1500, the only one that collects dust all over the exterior (and interior) is the 2022.
wondering if this is being noticed by others.

boogielander

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
probably aerodynamic things happening that i don't really know how to properly explain but something to do with turbulences happening after a straight drop (ie, back window and tailgate)

With my RTT and bed rack I don't see much dust settling on my back window. I don't see them at all. With the RTT sticking out a bit pass tailgate, I only have dust settle on the rear bumper and the bottom quarter of the tailgate. Even then, it is still minimum and not as crazy as the trucks without RTT and bed rack.

mynameisante

Reaction score
My parents live on a mile long gravel road. Every car and truck they own, every car, truck, and equipment I own, all collect dust on the back. Seems like a normal thing to me🤷🏼‍♂️

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have to clean the backup camera lenses on all my vehicles that have one pretty often. It's not just a truck thing. Yeah, aerodynamics and where the dust drops out.

Morenar

Reaction score
Does anyone else have a lot of dust collecting on the rear window and tailgate with the new body style?
I’m having dust in cab issues but notice that the dust settles on my back window and between the box and cab as well as the tailgate and rear bumper like crazy. Wondering if anyone else has this same issue? FYI I live on 1/2 mile f gravel only.
Take a look at this TSB for dust in cab

Another thing to look at is that you have these seals.

radar09

Reaction score
My parents live on a mile long gravel road. Every car and truck they own, every car, truck, and equipment I own, all collect dust on the back. Seems like a normal thing to me🤷🏼‍♂️
I have 3 of these trucks and live on 1/2 mile of gravel. In 1 trip the back of the truck is layered in dust. The other tucks can be driven all week without that much dust build up. The only difference is the new body style, so maybe the aerodynamics cause it to kick up more dust. If it’s happening to me I trying to determine if other Ram owners are experiencing something similar.

radar09

Reaction score
Take a look at this TSB for dust in cab

Another thing to look at is that you have these seals.
Thanks for these link’s the dealership has replaced the exhauster’s, but I’m sure they didn’t try the sealant. My truck has the cab-box seals, there is so much dust and small rocks that collect in that area that I thought about taking them out to see if that would allow that area more air flow alowing to to carry the dust past the back window/exhauster area.

radar09

Reaction score
probably aerodynamic things happening that i don't really know how to properly explain but something to do with turbulences happening after a straight drop (ie, back window and tailgate)

With my RTT and bed rack I don't see much dust settling on my back window. I don't see them at all. With the RTT sticking out a bit pass tailgate, I only have dust settle on the rear bumper and the bottom quarter of the tailgate. Even then, it is still minimum and not as crazy as the trucks without RTT and bed rack.
Maybe a dumb question, but what is RTT?

mynameisante

Reaction score
I have 3 of these trucks and live on 1/2 mile of gravel. In 1 trip the back of the truck is layered in dust. The other tucks can be driven all week without that much dust build up. The only difference is the new body style, so maybe the aerodynamics cause it to kick up more dust. If it’s happening to me I trying to determine if other Ram owners are experiencing something similar.
I have a two pickups, one SUV, and two dump trucks. My parents have a pickup, an SUV, and two dump trucks. Every one of these vehicles collects dust like crazy from the 5mph ride. Except my dad. He flies like a bat out of hell down the messed up road. The smaller vehicles I had (MB C-class and VW Golf) got dusty after their first shot up the road, too. I did realize that the lower vehicles pick up much more dust. I chalk it up to aerodynamics. Assuming that the sportier ones give way to more airflow around the body. Idk, just my observation on it

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online