5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dually Wheel Corrosion

Deadmanzrevenge

Reaction score
Hi, new to the forum. I have a 2019 Ram 3500 Dually Laramie Longhorn (with the premium wheels). Low miles, as in 15k. I got it new, and haven't had many issues. I discovered corrosion under the clearcoat on back wheels on both sides beginning at the valve stem and it is spreading. It is most definitely under the clearcoat and is not from any damage done to it. The corrosion is starting to pop up in other places on the rims now. I tried going to the dealer and submitting it as warranty work. FCA said no way as it could be from whatever they put on the roads. Here in Idaho they use sand. Not sure why they wouldn't honor their warranty as my last 5 trucks I had with them they took care of things.

Thoughts? Next steps? Looking for input from anyone who has been thru this already.

Thanks in advance...!

Fight more with 15k miles it should be covered ...

Hi, new to the forum. I have a 2019 Ram 3500 Dually Laramie Longhorn (with the premium wheels). Low miles, as in 15k. I got it new, and haven't had many issues. I discovered corrosion under the clearcoat on back wheels on both sides beginning at the valve stem and it is spreading. It is most definitely under the clearcoat and is not from any damage done to it. The corrosion is starting to pop up in other places on the rims now. I tried going to the dealer and submitting it as warranty work. FCA said no way as it could be from whatever they put on the roads. Here in Idaho they use sand. Not sure why they wouldn't honor their warranty as my last 5 trucks I had with them they took care of things.

Thoughts? Next steps? Looking for input from anyone who has been thru this already.

Thanks in advance...!
Just found exact same issue on my 2020 Laramie. Will be fighting that battle Soon myself. 30K miles and wheels are junk.

Attachments

• 2B1A691D-D92B-4B0B-BC93-7CD07837A244.jpeg
    2B1A691D-D92B-4B0B-BC93-7CD07837A244.jpeg
    85.2 KB · Views: 11
  • C751226A-540E-4CCC-B468-E88A8CD6AA0C.jpeg
    C751226A-540E-4CCC-B468-E88A8CD6AA0C.jpeg
    100.2 KB · Views: 12

Thanks in advance...!
That looks like what happens to wheels when you drive in winter in Eastern WA. They apply magnesium chloride on the highways as a de-icer, which quickly eats clear coated aluminum wheels. Many a Chevy wheel has been destroyed where I live, as that's pretty much the only type of wheels you could get for a lot of years (besides steel). I either run winter wheels or don't run clear coated aluminum wheels on anything I drive. People have tried filing claims with the state DOT, and haven't been very successful. The local Chevy dealership laughs when people try to claim warranty on their wheels after even one winter. Not sure where in Idaho you're located, but do you do any driving in Eastern WA?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back