5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DRL discussion recommendations

Jedi9

Reaction score
I have a grill with the four amber lights in it that I hooked up to the DRLs (factory). I want to change my drl look to run amber all the way across and currently set the turn signals for drls. I can't tap my grill leds into the turn signal lamps though because when I am using the turn signals I don't want my grill leds to flash on and off. I also replaced my bumper and the new one has led fogs. I'm thinking about putting these on a dedicated switch because I don't want to blind anyone and they currently come on for turning convenience lamps one side or another. Can I turn off the turning convenience function, program the fogs for DRLs and just connect my grill leds to the fog harness? Then I'll run the led fogs on a different switch altogether. Are there any other amber DRL functions I'm not thinking of? Sorry if it sounds convoluted, hope is clear enough to convey what I want to do.

Redz72

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You can tap your grill lights into the parking light feed and they won’t blink. Not sure what wire that is in the harness but a test light or meter would figure that out for you. Also, you can program the location of your DRL’s with JScan and AlfaODB (Maybe TazerDT too).

Jedi9

Reaction score
Nice, then I tap into the amber parking lights for the grill leds, then program the DRLs for parking lights.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Unfortunately, there isn't a viable option to use fog lights as DRLs. And fog lights won't blind anyone, LED or not. They should be aimed low, not at people's faces.

Jedi9

Reaction score
No worries I think redz72 gave me the info I need. I've adjust the cube led fogs as far down as I can on the RC front bumper and they are pretty bright, I know I'm blinding folks even when I have them turned off at stoplights when I am turning because of the cornering lights. I would have to rework the way they are mounted or perhaps put some sort of hood on them

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
No worries I think redz72 gave me the info I need. I've adjust the cube led fogs as far down as I can on the RC front bumper and they are pretty bright, I know I'm blinding folks even when I have them turned off at stoplights when I am turning because of the cornering lights. I would have to rework the way they are mounted or perhaps put some sort of hood on them
Ahh, didnt realize you replaced it with aftermarket bumper with light pods. Still if it's build properly it shouldn't be an issue. I know the light pods in my bumper are angles to the side enough to not cause a big issue with incoming traffic. At least not until they get right next to me. I've never been flashed with them on. But I generally don't run them anymore, and wish I could disable them coming on when turning into

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thoughts and pics of the RC bumper? I'm contemplating maybe grabbing later this year... :unsure:

Jedi9

Reaction score
Pros, comes with a skid, without a skid most high approach bumpers look ridiculous. It lets you use factory tow loops, or you can cheaply add tow loops. Comes with a light bar in the center and 2 cubes in the fog locations. Comes with wire harnesses for both. They are the plain old RC universal cubes and bars with mounts in the bumper to fit them. If you want to do something fancier you just replace them. They have sensor locations if your truck came with them. No more worries about deer. And now I can slide under the front a lot easier to change the oil. No regrets on this mod
Cons, they come with sensor locations so you have to plug the holes if you don't have sensors, they come with the plastic inserts and rubber stick on plugs, just like the rear bumper. I would have gone with a Barricade HD instead because it looks decent and has no sensor holes but also no skid available at this time and don't think you can use the tow loops. A little aggravating lining up the bumper, the adapter brackets adjust in 2 different directions and as you adjust one side the other side gets altered. Its a must to have 2 people here. The back bumper I installed myself no problem. You give up the air dam and auto air dam so mileage will take a little hit.

I like it, its not big and bulky, may look a little like it in the head on pic but its just the angle. Has a good fit. I had to wait months for them to get back in stock once I made my mind up to get one
ram1.jpg ram2.jpg

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Pros, comes with a skid, without a skid most high approach bumpers look ridiculous. It lets you use factory tow loops, or you can cheaply add tow loops. Comes with a light bar in the center and 2 cubes in the fog locations. Comes with wire harnesses for both. They are the plain old RC universal cubes and bars with mounts in the bumper to fit them. If you want to do something fancier you just replace them. They have sensor locations if your truck came with them. No more worries about deer. And now I can slide under the front a lot easier to change the oil. No regrets on this mod
Cons, they come with sensor locations so you have to plug the holes if you don't have sensors, they come with the plastic inserts and rubber stick on plugs, just like the rear bumper. I would have gone with a Barricade HD instead because it looks decent and has no sensor holes but also no skid available at this time and don't think you can use the tow loops. A little aggravating lining up the bumper, the adapter brackets adjust in 2 different directions and as you adjust one side the other side gets altered. Its a must to have 2 people here. The back bumper I installed myself no problem. You give up the air dam and auto air dam so mileage will take a little hit.

I like it, its not big and bulky, may look a little like it in the head on pic but its just the angle. Has a good fit. I had to wait months for them to get back in stock once I made my mind up to get one
View attachment 178917 View attachment 178918
Looks good and I have the sensors. I wonder if they would swap the lights for the DRL version with an upcharge. I'll ask before buying. I love the skid plate because personally looking at everything behind it looks like Sh*t I think. I love how it fits up to the body and doesn't stick way out looking dumb!! I have the tow hooks, so that's good. I'm doing a lift and 34's so already expecting a MPG hit. :ROFLMAO:

Redz72

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Looks sharp man. I might go this route down the road at some point. I’m a fan of the RC design and agree with @CHeYeNNe71 You have the RC rear to match it as well? What are the pros and cons of that bad boy?

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Looks sharp man. I might go this route down the road at some point. I’m a fan of the RC design and agree with @CHeYeNNe71 You have the RC rear to match it as well? What are the pros and cons of that bad boy?
Yeah, I'm also looking at the rear as well. I like the look of both and minimalistic look.

Jedi9

Reaction score
Pros of rear. Has large corner steps makes it a lot easier to climb aboard. Has the sensor holes if your truck is so equipped. Easy install. Also after lifting rear 2" added a factory style fold down step and it fits perfectly with this RC bumper. Comes with 2 led cubes to fit flush for a clean look. The tread plates are screwed on so can be removed for recoating if necessary. I've not had any issues with the powdercoat as of yet
bedstep 2.jpg
Cons: Has the sensor holes if yours is not equipped got to put the plugs in. Does not utilize the factory license plate lighting, instead the 2 screws that hold the plate on are lighted, actually work ok but you have to cut the old plug off and splice these on and if you change the license plate you'll have to resplice the wire.
No regrets on this bumper as well sold the old front bumper for $500 and rear for $300. Feel I may could've gotten more. It's a very clean fit and is notched just right for the exhaust

Redz72

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I like that it fits with the factory step. Not so thrilled about getting rid of the factory plate lighting but I suppose it’s a trade off. Have any pictures showing the dual exhaust I little better? That’s the first thing I notice when looking for a rear bumper. I’d like it to work seamlessly with my dual pipes.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Pros of rear. Has large corner steps makes it a lot easier to climb aboard. Has the sensor holes if your truck is so equipped. Easy install. Also after lifting rear 2" added a factory style fold down step and it fits perfectly with this RC bumper. Comes with 2 led cubes to fit flush for a clean look. The tread plates are screwed on so can be removed for recoating if necessary. I've not had any issues with the powdercoat as of yet
View attachment 178932
Cons: Has the sensor holes if yours is not equipped got to put the plugs in. Does not utilize the factory license plate lighting, instead the 2 screws that hold the plate on are lighted, actually work ok but you have to cut the old plug off and splice these on and if you change the license plate you'll have to resplice the wire.
No regrets on this bumper as well sold the old front bumper for $500 and rear for $300. Feel I may could've gotten more. It's a very clean fit and is notched just right for the exhaust
No need to cut the factory wires for the license plate light. Just buy the right connector and make a new harness.

Jedi9

Reaction score
Was able to center the pipes in the cutouts . The pass side was centered. the driver side I loosened the clamp on the exhaust extension and rotated slightly, 5 min fix. rb1.jpg rb2.jpg

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Those are on my list. I’d like the flat/matte black 5” Double Rolled tips. The ones I’ve seen so far appear to be gloss black.
Carven, but pricey. They came with my $500 new in box exhaust kit :cool: :ROFLMAO:

They run special, sign up for email.

Users who are viewing this thread