5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Driving with broken active shutter?

tom318

Reaction score
Hit a small deer on my way home today at 55mph and the truck took it like a champ. Broke the active shutter and seems stuck in the down position. I’m assuming it’s fine to drive, no towing or anything and it’s cold out. If anything I can probably jam it open.

What do you guys think? I’m sure I won’t get it fixed for months. Drives fine.
8A414F41-7CE0-4136-B914-DF6BF14D748C.jpeg

cskindt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I hope no one was hurt.
That sucks and I'm sorry it happened, but since it did, if you have FCW, did it help at all? Or did the auto emergency brake assist kick in?

tom318

Reaction score
I hope no one was hurt.
That sucks and I'm sorry it happened, but since it did, if you have FCW, did it help at all? Or did the auto emergency brake assist kick in?
I have those features turned off but the notice didn’t even come up on the dash like it does occasionally when I go around cars. It was a small deer and it came out of the woods at full speed along with me doing 55. Hit it dam near in the middle of the truck to......

I was driving home from work by myself. All is good, very impressed with how the truck took it. There are potholes on the roads that are more dramatic than that was.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hit a small deer on my way home today at 55mph and the truck took it like a champ. Broke the active shutter and seems stuck in the down position. I’m assuming it’s fine to drive, no towing or anything and it’s cold out. If anything I can probably jam it open.

What do you guys think? I’m sure I won’t get it fixed for months. Drives fine.
View attachment 148371
Had the exact thing happen only Bambi was pretty big and I was only going 25. Very similar damage. Had to drive with shutter stick closed for about two months until they could get it in the shop. No problems whatsoever. More good news is that they only have to basically replace bumper and they are found everywhere and they can pretty much reuse all the sensors.

Users who are viewing this thread