5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Driver seat problems?

Pnorth

Reaction score
I have a bad back - a seriously bad lumbar section, L1- L5, and hence seats are important. I thought the driver seat in the Limited would be great, but I am in real pain.

My lumbar section is ok in the Ram and not what creates the problem, as usual.

But, my driver seat feels blown up as if it bulges out in the middle of the seat downwards from the upper cross seam in the seat. It feels like sitting with half a football in my back and it gives me serious discomfort and pain. This keeps me constantly changing seating position - chasing to find a comfortable position and get away from the pain.

Yes, I have played with the seat support and everything is set at its lowest - no air.

Has anyone else experienced or heard of anyone else experiencing the same?

Ranchram

Reaction score
I have a bad back - a seriously bad lumbar section, L1- L5, and hence seats are important. I thought the driver seat in the Limited would be great, but I am in real pain.

But, my driver seat feels blown up as if it bulges out in the middle of the seat downwards from the upper cross seam in the seat. It feels like sitting with half a football in my back and it gives me serious discomfort and pain. This keeps me constantly changing seating position - chasing to find a comfortable position and get away from the pain.

Yes, I have played with the seat support and everything is set at its lowest - no air.

I am fused L3 to S1 (also L2 to L7), too many years jumping out of airplanes and humping klicks in the army and playing rugby). I have found the seats in my limited to be quite comfortable. If anything, I would wish for a little more lumbar support from the adjustable controls. I have not experienced the issue you are describing other than the lumbar controls can go up fairly high on my back at their highest setting.

Pnorth

Reaction score
Sorrry to hear about your problems. Mine are a bit from similar activities... Funny you should say you find them comfortable. My best friend says the same about his Ram seats... A little why I wanted to post also, to hear more experiences from other owners.

Last edited:

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I notice the same thing in my Laramie; my back is very sensitive to pressure. I have adjusted it all the way down and I still feel it. To make it more comfortable I recline the seat back some, lower the rear part of the seat and raise the front part of the seat. This puts me in a cradled position (sort of) and keeps the pressure off my spine.

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I notice the same thing in my Laramie; my back is very sensitive to pressure. I have adjusted it all the way down and I still feel it. To make it more comfortable I recline the seat back some, lower the rear part of the seat and raise the front part of the seat. This puts me in a cradled position (sort of) and keeps the pressure off my spine.
Bad back from rugby and weightlifting injuries. I do find the seats fairly comfortable however when adjusted as you suggest. The lumbar adjustment is a bit weird. It feels like a football. Overall seats are not bad.

Pnorth

Reaction score
Thanks! So I am not alone after all... was afraid I was getting worse... I’ll try your adjustments.

Pnorth

Reaction score
Bad back from rugby and weightlifting injuries. I do find the seats fairly comfortable however when adjusted as you suggest. The lumbar adjustment is a bit weird. It feels like a football. Overall seats are not bad.
Yes, it is a bit weird... and yes, the seats looks like a million and feels like a football... guess they forgot to consult the team physical therapist ;)

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes, it is a bit weird... and yes, the seats looks like a million and feels like a football... guess they forgot to consult the team physical therapist ;)
Cant argue that the seats are beautiful looking for sure.

Love2driveRAM19

Reaction score
Another Army dawg here with fused back.

The seats feel comfortable to me depending on the day and the level of pain that moment...you all know how that goes!!! I actually wish the heated seats got warmer. I have Bighorn, no leather was hoping they were warmer like my girlfriend's Dodge Caravan GT. Now her seats fit me better and get hotter!!!

I think the reason the Caravan GT seats feel better because they hold me like a V and I wedge into the top of the "V" with the sides pushing in to give support and not placing all the pressure straight back on my (middle back spine) back if that makes sense. Like if you wedged yourself into the corner of a triangle your weight is distributed along more on the sides that meet/contact the walls versus direct pressure on spine.

Maybe roll two towels and put them on each side to see if this works or get a pool noodle and slice it into long halves to fit down each side of your back. Believe me I have tried some strange ways to get the back at a rest/less pain state!!!

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Another Army dawg here with fused back.

The seats feel comfortable to me depending on the day and the level of pain that moment...you all know how that goes!!! I actually wish the heated seats got warmer. I have Bighorn, no leather was hoping they were warmer like my girlfriend's Dodge Caravan GT. Now her seats fit me better and get hotter!!!

I think the reason the Caravan GT seats feel better because they hold me like a V and I wedge into the top of the "V" with the sides pushing in to give support and not placing all the pressure straight back on my (middle back spine) back if that makes sense. Like if you wedged yourself into the corner of a triangle your weight is distributed along more on the sides that meet/contact the walls versus direct pressure on spine.

Maybe roll two towels and put them on each side to see if this works or get a pool noodle and slice it into long halves to fit down each side of your back. Believe me I have tried some strange ways to get the back at a rest/less pain state!!!
My heated seats (Laramie/Leather) will set your butt on fire! I have to turn them off after about 10 minutes just to cool down.

Pnorth

Reaction score
My heated seats (Laramie/Leather) will set your butt on fire! I have to turn them off after about 10 minutes just to cool down.
Haha! My Limited seats are the same... on fire. I can stand level one for a while before I turn it off. I wish the seats had more side support though. Especially when they feel like a football in the middle and since I tend to lean over to one or the other side to avoid the middle. We got an Audi A6 Allroad with sport seats... well something could be learned for comfort and support...

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Haha! My Limited seats are the same... on fire. I can stand level one for a while before I turn it off. I wish the seats had more side support though. Especially when they feel like a football in the middle and since I tend to lean over to one or the other side to avoid the middle. We got an Audi A6 Allroad with sport seats... well something could be learned for comfort and support...
Yeah they could definitely use more side support in the thigh area. They seem to be too flat across the seat. My Volvo seats are heaven and cradle your butt and thighs.

cbushon67

Reaction score

The situation I'm having with my 2020 Limited is the piece of leather that they have stitched towards the top of the seat rubs on my back and is uncomfortable. Anyone else have this happened to them?

Fightfire456

Reaction score

I am dealing with the same thing. I only have a partially that lower back and I can’t seem to find a comfortable position. It’s like I’m constantly adjusting every setting in order to get a little relief just to feel the pain come back a minute later. It feels like the back is bulging out as to help with lumbar support but it’s too high up the back so it just feels uncomfortable. I’ve triedDeflating the lower lumbar and inflating the upper back portion but even still it never seems to even out and there’s always an odd bulge.

Fightfire456

Reaction score
When I try that it just moved the pain to a different part of the spine lol

Kenny4

Reaction score
I just drove a 2021 Bighorn 80 miles on Deluxe bucket seats that I paid $600 extra for and it was miserably uncomfortable. Stiff as a board and made both my hips ache. Now looking for seat covers that may remedy the situation.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
For me, I would get lumbar back pain after about 20-30 minutes, after an hour I didn't want to drive anymore. I couldn't get enough lower lumber support, likely because of how the top of the seat back was shaped. It pushed my lower body too far away from any lumber support.

Luckily I realized after reading the manual that the seat also pivots at an angle. I just don't mean leaning the top of the seat back, but the bottom of the seat as well as one unit. I didn't realize that the control switch than raises and lowers the seat height, also pivots it. The rear part of the switch raises & lowers the whole seat. However, the front of that same switch also pivots it backwards or forwards.

I found that pivoting the seat backwards a few degrees & moving the seatback forwards actually helps my lower back conform to the seat better, literally forcing my lower body back against the lumber points on the seat.

As Billy James mentioned in his post above, it puts me in kind of a "cradle" position. I haven't had back pain ever since, I can drive in comfort all day long now.

Last edited:

41magmag41

Reaction score
Sorry you guys find the seats uncomfortable. Like most of you I have a bad back but because of my type 2 diabetes surgery isnt in the cards instead every 4 to 6 months I get steroid injections into my spine to give me a little relief. What does give me relief is sitting in my 2019 Ram and going for a ride. The seats fit me perfectly and I spend a lot of time there, hence the 45000 miles on her since April of 2019 when she was bought. Hope you can find some series of adjustments to get comfortable.

perch1386

Reaction score
Has anyone replaced the seat in a 2021 Laramie for an older model. My wife will not ride in the passenger seat due to the fact there is a football In her back. She would like the same seats I had in my 2017 Laramie

chewmeista

Reaction score

did the seat position adjustment alleviate your issue? I know this is an older post, but was curious what you did to fix your issue.

Users who are viewing this thread