5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drive shaft and rear axle fail

Steele713

Reaction score
My 2wd 2019 ram 1500 went into shop. Diagnosis so far, drive shaft component failures as well as rear axle failure with metal in differential fluid. Have 58k on Ram. Also multiple failure codes in radio that are causing other issues with Ram so this too needs to be replaced. Still haven't diagnosed my engine tick to determine what that is(exhaust or lifter or who knows. Honestly cant believe all of this with 58k, but and still under the 5 year 60k power train warranty...and I did get an extended warranty and now am glad I did. I thought noise I was hearing was a bearing, never would have thought all this. I gave dealer a laundry list of things as I want it all done in 1 visit🤞

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
One visit? So Christmas it'll be done then? :ROFLMAO:

Good luck with all the repairs, and thankful for the warranty too!

RVTRKN

Reaction score
With the new electronics and computerized engines, I always get the extended warranty. Even the used 2020 1500 I just bought, my first used vehicle purchase since 1993. I bought the Mopar extended warranty on it, plus the dealer includes lifetime power train warranty, as long as I maintain proper maintenance on it.

What engine does your truck have? After my purchase, I found out that Hemi exhaust manifolds crack and bolts break on the exhaust manifold, and it starts out as loud ticking.

Steele713

Reaction score
With the new electronics and computerized engines, I always get the extended warranty. Even the used 2020 1500 I just bought, my first used vehicle purchase since 1993. I bought the Mopar extended warranty on it, plus the dealer includes lifetime power train warranty, as long as I maintain proper maintenance on it.

What engine does your truck have? After my purchase, I found out that Hemi exhaust manifolds crack and bolts break on the exhaust manifold, and it starts out as loud ticking.
I also got an extended warranty. Have the 5.7 etorque and it is in for the engine ticking at start up also. They haven't diagnosed if exhaust or lifter. Maybe find out today

Steele713

Reaction score
One visit? So Christmas it'll be done then? :ROFLMAO:

Good luck with all the repairs, and thankful for the warranty too!
Lol, maybe with everything being on backorder these days. Further diagnosis, also have broken exhaust manifold bolt.
This is what I meant, I wanted them to find and fix everything in 1 visit. I think I gave them like 10 things to look at, diagnose and repair...and they are still diagnosing...but it will all be done at once...I hope🤞

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Had the axle fluid ever been changed with 58k on the clock? I always pull the inspection cover and clean the metal off the magnet at around 15k and you'd be surprised how dirty the fluid already is. It's twice as bad on the Jeep pickups, something about the new Dana AdvanTek axles likes to chew up fluid.

Steele713

Reaction score
Had the axle fluid ever been changed with 58k on the clock? I always pull the inspection cover and clean the metal off the magnet at around 15k and you'd be surprised how dirty the fluid already is. It's twice as bad on the Jeep pickups, something about the new Dana AdvanTek axles likes to chew up fluid.
Not that I know of, but that is great info. I will be from now on

Steele713

Reaction score
Well here we are on July 19th and have still been without my Ram since June 12th. Waiting on the axle to show up and no one has an ETA. Was set for the 16th, but that came and went and now I cannot get an answer to what when why or how. Dealer also tried to hit me up for $1500 for the rental car, which is a jeep compass 😆 but at least I have some type of wheels. They finally took over the rental and extended the time for rental until August 4th @ a projected cost of $2480. Jeez...and they thought I should pay for that when part is covered under factory power train warranty. Crazy to me. I remember when I had a Ram 1500🤔. Guess all I can say is I am keeping the miles down. Rams service is not good and communication even worse

Steele713

Reaction score
Well after 10 weeks I have my truck back...finally. was a lot of back and forth with dealer, but in the end they made it right. They put about 4 door dings in truck and gashed the rear fender flare. I had some dings and had pics to show what was there. Dealer got a pauntless dent guy to fix dings, and had him fix every ding on the truck and charged me nothing, not even a penny for any of the repairs or the rental car. Like a brand new truck. Got it back and put 275/65r20 recon grappler on it with some built to serve rims I polished. Went 4ply as it does no off reading. Ride is great now with the bilstein 5100s for a 2" level. Missed my truck! Put 3600 miles on rental and not my truck and now it is like a brand new truck. The dealer stepped up in the bottom of the 9th and came away with a win. Very happy the did

Attachments

• 20230826_115001.jpg
    20230826_115001.jpg
    335.7 KB · Views: 10

Users who are viewing this thread