5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drained Water/Fuel - Forgot to prime fuel pump

KOOPS

Reaction score
Wondering if I did any damage...

Today, I drained the water from the fuel filter. It was a decent amount (almost 16oz water bottle full of yellowish water which smelled like fuel). I did not change or remove the fuel filter or fuel filter housing. However, I didn't realize that I needed to prime the system after draining the water. So, when I went to start up the truck it made a terrible sound cranking etc, and didn't start. That incident lasted for about 2-4 seconds. I instantly realized it must be because I didn't prime the system before starting the engine.

After that, I primed the system as you would normally do after changing the fuel filter. The truck started up and ran fine, as far as I can tell.

Question: did I do serious damage? I think I read afterwards in the manual that if you drain more than 2oz of water you need to prime the system before starting the engine.

Edit: based on responses, it appears I drained mostly fuel, and little to no water.

Last edited:

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
What fuel filter did you drain? I thought ours was in the tank.

KOOPS

Reaction score
What fuel filter did you drain? I thought ours was in the tank.
The EcoDiesel's have a fuel filter housing that you need to drain the water from occasionally and replace the fuel filter after every other oil change. It is located under the front driver's side underneath the truck.

This is what it looks like.
1698115804068.png

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Ah I didn’t realize this was the ED forum. I would bet it’s primed and good now since you finally got it primed, cranked and running good. The air should be cycled out of the lines

KOOPS

Reaction score
Ah I didn’t realize this was the ED forum. I would bet it’s primed and good now since you finally got it primed, cranked and running good. The air should be cycled out of the lines
Do you know if I could have somehow damaged anything? Like I said, it failed to start the first go around and the engine was cranking for a good 4 secs..... before I went through the priming process the second time around.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry too much. Are you sure you didn't just drain a bunch of fuel out? I can't see there being 16oz of water in there or you would have serious issues.

Even if you prime the pump properly after a filter change it still cranks for a few extra seconds the first start after. I usually prime it 5-6 times after a filter change.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

KOOPS

Reaction score
I wouldn't worry too much. Are you sure you didn't just drain a bunch of fuel out? I can't see there being 16oz of water in there or you would have serious issues.

Even if you prime the pump properly after a filter change it still cranks for a few extra seconds the first start after. I usually prime it 5-6 times after a filter change.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk
Crap. Yeah, maybe it was only fuel then....idk.

It was my first time doing it myself so I wasn't sure what to expect. Is water and fuel expected to flow from that drain port when you open up the valve? I was thinking maybe it was a mixture of both.

I turned the valve (circled in red picture below). Nothing came out at first. So, I kept turning it until I got it just right and fluid started to flow out of the drain port. Maybe I didn't have any water, and I just drained the filter housing of all the fuel... 😩

I am attaching the picture I took below of the bottle I filled up.

Just hoping I didn't do any damage not priming the system on the first failed startup with the cranking. That's my main concern.

1698125581816.png

1698125527418.png

Last edited:

2021EcoDiesel

Reaction score
If it only cranked for just a little bit, you should be fine. If you were trying to start it for more than a minute or so, then yes you could possibly do some damage. The high pressure fuel system is more susceptible to damage when the engine is running and the pump is spinning much faster than the starter speed. Imagine an engine losing some oil pressure at idle vs at 7,000 RPM, massive difference. As for your water bottle, that appears to be mostly fuel. When you drain water out of that fuel filter it will separate from the fuel very quickly. After just a few seconds you will see a definitive line where the fuel and the water meet but do not mix. Attached is a quick photo I just took of some off road diesel with some water in it. The red dyed fuel makes it easy to see the line!

Attachments

• IMG_6368.jpeg
    IMG_6368.jpeg
    93 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Do you know if I could have somehow damaged anything? Like I said, it failed to start the first go around and the engine was cranking for a good 4 secs..... before I went through the priming process the second time around.
I doubt it. I’ve done similar things on tractors and generators. You should be good

O'Town Ram

I know less and less about more and more
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Crap. Yeah, maybe it was only fuel then....idk.

It was my first time doing it myself so I wasn't sure what to expect. Is water and fuel expected to flow from that drain port when you open up the valve? I was thinking maybe it was a mixture of both.

I turned the valve (circled in red picture below). Nothing came out at first. So, I kept turning it until I got it just right and fluid started to flow out of the drain port. Maybe I didn't have any water, and I just drained the filter housing of all the fuel... 😩

I am attaching the picture I took below of the bottle I filled up.
The water and fuel will separate. Water to the bottom. It looks like no water in that pic. If you let it sit for a minute it is obvious if there is water in the fuel.

Users who are viewing this thread