5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Door rattles

$chlitz

Reaction score
Recently traded in my 2010 Sport for a 2019 Laramie. Loving the truck so far...except for those dang door rattles! I've read many threads about it already, and will be removing door panels and trying to quiet things down as best I can soon. The rear passenger side door however, has a "flapping plastic" sound that you really only hear when closing the door, or if you open the door and move it back and forth. Anyone know what that might be? I pulled the door panel off and it's definitely behind the inner door panel. Sounds like it's right behind the exterior door handle. Handle still functions just fine. I started to remove the inner door panel, but after watching a video to see just how involved it is with the window regulator and door latch/handle, I didn't have time to pull it off today to fully investigate. Just figured I'd ask to see if anyone is familiar with the "flapping plastic" noise behind the exterior door handle and if they know what might be causing it. Thanks!

Alter Ego Trip

Reaction score
It's really tough to say. I've recently had all my doors apart for deadening, and there really aren't any smoking guns behind that panel. I had issues where the door beam wasn't even attached to the outer door skin, which was causing some vibrations, but nothing really "flapping". A lot of rattles come from the clips holding the door on, and then just contact points between the individual pieces of the door panel.

Does the "flapping" happen with the window up and down? Could be a loose window track possibly.

$chlitz

Reaction score
It's really tough to say. I've recently had all my doors apart for deadening, and there really aren't any smoking guns behind that panel. I had issues where the door beam wasn't even attached to the outer door skin, which was causing some vibrations, but nothing really "flapping". A lot of rattles come from the clips holding the door on, and then just contact points between the individual pieces of the door panel.

Does the "flapping" happen with the window up and down? Could be a loose window track possibly.
I'll have to give it a try with the window down. Window goes up and down fine. It really sounds like a flat piece of plastic, like a small plastic flap or door that is loose and just flapping back and forth right behind the handle as the door moves. It doesn't really seem to make any noise when the door is closed/while driving, only when moving the door while it's open or right when you close it. If they didn't have literally every mechanical part of the door all attached to that one inner panel, I would have pulled it and investigated further. Guess I'll just have to do it when I have more time, or live with the noise, which is probably what the previous owner did. I was just hoping someone else might have dealt with this same noise.

Users who are viewing this thread