5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dog Mode?

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've discovered that I can lock the doors with the fob while the engine is running and no one is in the truck. So, on a warm day if I needed to run in somewhere quickly, I could leave the truck running with the A/C on and the dogs in the back seat, staying cool.

I'm pretty sure someone breaking the window and opening the door from inside would set off the alarm, but since the vehicle is running, would it keep them from shifting into drive? If the transmission is connected electronically, it seems like an alarm system would disable putting it in gear, but I was curious if that's the case.

In truth, as upset as I'd be that the truck was stolen, I'd be devastated if the dogs were stolen.

I've discovered that I can lock the doors with the fob while the engine is running and no one is in the truck. So, on a warm day if I needed to run in somewhere quickly, I could leave the truck running with the A/C on and the dogs in the back seat, staying cool.

I'm pretty sure someone breaking the window and opening the door from inside would set off the alarm, but since the vehicle is running, would it keep them from shifting into drive? If the transmission is connected electronically, it seems like an alarm system would disable putting it in gear, but I was curious if that's the case.

In truth, as upset as I'd be that the truck was stolen, I'd be devastated if the dogs were stolen.
If I remember right, you can drive away without the fob but once you shut it down you couldn't restart. I seem to remember someone that drove to work one day on here - they went out and started the truck, then ran back inside to get something and forgot the fob, drove all the way to work, shut it down and then had to have their wife bring them the fob. If you used remote start, I don't think it's an issue because I think the fob has to be present in order to switch from remote running to regular running.

In any case, I'm with you - I wouldn't give 2 ****s about the truck being gone - I have insurance - but I'd be insane if my dog was stolen.

You can definitely drive away without the fob once you've started it with the dash button. I doubt that changes just from locking the doors, but it's easy enough to test. Just roll the window down, remove the fob from the vicinity, and reach in to open the door from inside to see what happens.

As jdm said, if you remote start it instead you definitely can't drive away without the fob. The only catch is when the remote start cycle ends, the truck will shut off. Assuming you'll be back within 10-15 minutes that shouldn't be a problem.

In my example, they've broken the window with the doors locked, and I know (at least on older vehicles) if you lock with the fob and open the door from inside, the alarm goes off. Would the alarm going off disable shifting into gear? It used to disable starting the vehicle on my 95 Grand Cherokee.

Doubt it, but again, just go outside and try it (minus the broken window part).

If the vehicle is running I doubt locking the doors would arm the alarm system

So, my curiosity got the best of me. I went out, started my truck, lowered the drivers window, got out and locked the truck. Took my FOB in the house. Went back outside, reached through the open window and opened the door. Got in and drove away (a few feet). No alarm, just a message in the dash that the key FOB wasn't detected.

So, don't lock your truck with the motor running and think nobody can steal it.

This is my public service for the day ;)

Supposedly the alarm system my truck has installed lills the engine if the window is brokem or detects theft ????? Bunch of questions i know.

Secondly , the person who took my fur babies better drive long and far . And make sure i dont get em.... lol gotta love animals.

So, my curiosity got the best of me. I went out, started my truck, lowered the drivers window, got out and locked the truck. Took my FOB in the house. Went back outside, reached through the open window and opened the door. Got in and drove away (a few feet). No alarm, just a message in the dash that the key FOB wasn't detected.

But can you do that with remote start ? I thought you had to have the fob present in order to press the ignition button to run position .

But can you do that with remote start ? I thought you had to have the fob present in order to press the ignition button to run position .
Wh remote start, you can't even put in in gear unless you hit the brake and hit start button again, which requires the fob inside the truck.

Remote start… that locks the truck and the gear shift…. Can’t drive away.

Thanks, I lost track of this thread and just got back to it. Your test (less a broken window) is what I was curious about.

Oh, and my dogs may bark if the truck is stolen with them inside, but they are beagles and really wouldn't do much more. And like jdmartin said, they'd probably just be happy to be going somewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back