5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does This Exhaust Sound Stock to Y'all?

bpwj76

Reaction score
I am the second owner, so I don't know if the previous guy had work done on it. I've looked underneath the truck and it looks stock, but I may not be looking in the right places.

Nova90

Reaction score
Very hard to tell just listening to video of cold start up....although, it sounds fairly stock to me in the video. As posted above, grab a quick pic of underneath.

bpwj76

Reaction score
Thanks for showing me what to look for. I walked out to my truck a little while ago and peeked underneath. This is what I found. It's a Magnaflow of some kind. Now that we've discovered it's aftermarket... does anyone see any problems with the workmanship?

Muffler.jpg

bpwj76

Reaction score
Closeup, if that helps. It's not the highest of resolutions. As a matter of fact, that's a pretty crappy pic. Come on iPhone 11 Pro!

Muffler Closeup.JPG

Whoa_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Looks like it has a small leak on the right side of this picture. that black soot coming out at the bottom has me question it.

bpwj76

Reaction score
Looks like it has a small leak on the right side of this picture. that black soot coming out at the bottom has me question it.
If it is a leak, what can be done to fix it?

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
That’s a magnaflow muffler and what ever shop welded it on didn’t do a very good job. If it’s loud they may have removed the resonators before your tips as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bpwj76

Reaction score
That’s a magnaflow muffler and what ever shop welded it on didn’t do a very good job. If it’s loud they may have removed the resonators before your tips as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If the resonators are what's right before the exhaust tips, then they are still on there. It's louder than my next door neighbors stock exhaust on his '21 Limited, but it's not going to wake him up when I crank it.

Now that I think about it... I hope it's not waking him up when I crank it ;)

JJameSS

Reaction score
I am the second owner, so I don't know if the previous guy had work done on it. I've looked underneath the truck and it looks stock, but I may not be looking in the right places.

Sounds like my stock 21 prior to the Borla S. My 21 doesn't have the front resonator though.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
2019, 2020 trucks I think are the only ones with the pre-muffler resonator. The later trucks should only have the two "muffler looking" resonators before the tips.

Sounds pretty good to me, the welding doesn't look bad, but you do have a small leak as noted, any muffler shop can touch that up for a few bucks, have them run it and they can do a quick check to make sure there aren't anymore leaks.

bpwj76

Reaction score
2019, 2020 trucks I think are the only ones with the pre-muffler resonator. The later trucks should only have the two "muffler looking" resonators before the tips.

Sounds pretty good to me, the welding doesn't look bad, but you do have a small leak as noted, any muffler shop can touch that up for a few bucks, have them run it and they can do a quick check to make sure there aren't anymore leaks.
I think it sounds pretty good too for just a $120 or so muffler. It's just how I like it... a good throaty growl when I want it to and no drone on the highway.

I have a friend with a Bendpak lift and a Lincoln welding machine in his shop. He offered to fix it for me.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I think it sounds pretty good too for just a $120 or so muffler. It's just how I like it... a good throaty growl when I want it to and no drone on the highway.

I have a friend with a Bendpak lift and a Lincoln welding machine in his shop. He offered to fix it for me.

Nice, I think with that fix you should be pretty happy with your setup. I did something similar on my truck, I had the muffler replaced with a Flowmaster Outlaw, essentially the most aggressive muffler they have outside of a straight pipe. However, with my 3 resonators, it sounds perfect to me. No drone when cruising, but a nice 60's muscle car sound when on the pedal. Your exhaust sounds similar to mine on idle.

When cruising and MDS operating, do you hear any drone? If so, that's pretty normal for most aftermarket mufflers when the truck is in 4-cylinder ECO/MDS mode.

bpwj76

Reaction score
Nice, I think with that fix you should be pretty happy with your setup. I did something similar on my truck, I had the muffler replaced with a Flowmaster Outlaw, essentially the most aggressive muffler they have outside of a straight pipe. However, with my 3 resonators, it sounds perfect to me. No drone when cruising, but a nice 60's muscle car sound when on the pedal. Yours sounds not that dissimilar to mine on idle.

When cruising and MDS operating, do you hear any drone? If so, that's pretty normal for most aftermarket mufflers when the truck is in 4-cylinder ECO/MDS mode.
Yes, I am pleased with it. Like I said, previous owner did it and I didn't even know until yesterday that it had an aftermarket muffler.

Yes, when MDS kicks in it does drone. When MDS turns off and the other 4 cylinders wake up, it makes a brrrp sound. I don't like the way MDS drones like that, so I always hit the gear limit button when I put it in gear.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Yes, I am pleased with it. Like I said, previous owner did it and I didn't even know until yesterday that it had an aftermarket muffler.

Yes, when MDS kicks in it does drone. When MDS turns off and the other 4 cylinders wake up, it makes a brrrp sound. I don't like the way MDS drones like that, so I always hit the gear limit button when I put it in gear.

Yup, that's normal though, unless you get a tuned cat-back, like the Borla systems, which based on many reviews here don't drone on MDS.

Users who are viewing this thread