5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does etorque add torque?

Savagescott

Reaction score
I’ve read conflicting information about whether etorque adds “real, applicable” torque. The 5.7 provides about 410ft/lbs, right? I’ve heard etorque adds ANOTHER 130 ft/lbs, for a total of 540? I’ve also heard it doesn’t. What’s the truth?

Related question... which will have more effect on towing capability - etorque or the 3.92? Does etorque have any effect? Or is it the same as the non- etorque hemi? I’m towing a 8800# boat.

GATORB8

Reaction score
Etorque adds Start/Stop, better than most setups, but it does not add "real, applicable" torque under load.

3.92 will have more impact on towing performance.

Savagescott

Reaction score
Etorque adds Start/Stop, better than most setups, but it does not add "real, applicable" torque under load.

3.92 will have more impact on towing performance.

So what are the marketers and reviewers talking about when they say it provides 130ft/lbs?

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just like any other vehicle with start/stop... they just added torque assist for towing, it cuts out as soon as the engine assumes the load.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So what are the marketers and reviewers talking about when they say it provides 130ft/lbs?

I believe it's the torque used to start the engine. I can definatly feel it when the engine starts while still sitting at a stop light, I have to push the break down further to keep it from lurching forward.

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score

The eTorque electric motor does NOT add to the engine's maximum torque number, it only gives a small amount of torque boost at very low RPMs. As soon as the gas engine's torque output matches the 130 lbf*ft of the eTorque, the eTorque switches from being a motor and supplying torque to the crank, to being an alternator again and absorbing torque from the gas engine so it can generate electricity. If I remember correctly, by the time the gas engine gets up to maybe 1000 RPM at the most, the eTorque motor cuts out. So the 0-60 MPH times for eTorque and non-eTorque trucks will effectively be the same.

All eTorque was really designed to do is (a) save some fuel in stop-and-go driving via the stop/start capability, (b) keep the air-conditioning compressor running for brief periods when the gas engine turns off at stoplights, (c) smooth out the automatic transmission shifts. The fact that it can supply a very small, very brief pulse of torque imparted to the truck while the gas engine is restarting, is just a wee bit of a bonus, not really the intent of the device.

The best advice I can give regarding eTorque is this: Just leave stop/start turned on and ignore it. Pretend it doesn't exist, and let it do it's job in the background. That was Ram's intent, i.e. eTorque is a "silent partner" that saves a bit of fuel and smooths out transmission shifts - nothing more, nothing less. Don't over-think this.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The eTorque electric motor does NOT add to the engine's maximum torque number, it only gives a small amount of torque boost at very low RPMs. As soon as the gas engine's torque output matches the 130 lbf*ft of the eTorque, the eTorque switches from being a motor and supplying torque to the crank, to being an alternator again and absorbing torque from the gas engine so it can generate electricity. If I remember correctly, by the time the gas engine gets up to maybe 1000 RPM at the most, the eTorque motor cuts out. So the 0-60 MPH times for eTorque and non-eTorque trucks will effectively be the same.

All eTorque was really designed to do is (a) save some fuel in stop-and-go driving via the stop/start capability, (b) keep the air-conditioning compressor running for brief periods when the gas engine turns off at stoplights, (c) smooth out the automatic transmission shifts. The fact that it can supply a very small, very brief pulse of torque imparted to the truck while the gas engine is restarting, is just a wee bit of a bonus, not really the intent of the device.

The best advice I can give regarding eTorque is this: Just leave stop/start turned on and ignore it. Pretend it doesn't exist, and let it do it's job in the background. That was Ram's intent, i.e. eTorque is a "silent partner" that saves a bit of fuel and smooths out transmission shifts - nothing more, nothing less. Don't over-think this.
Well said, although I think the motor is advertised to assist up to a maximum of 1500 RPM.

Savagescott

Reaction score
Well said, although I think the motor is advertised to assist up to a maximum of 1500 RPM.

Thank you. Considering what I’m pulling, I’m intrigued by the additional power of the F-150s 3.5 Ecoboost. Drove it over the weekend and it’s definitely noticeable. It’s a plus over the Ram -trying to determine how much of a plus.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thank you. Considering what I’m pulling, I’m intrigued by the additional power of the F-150s 3.5 Ecoboost. Drove it over the weekend and it’s definitely noticeable. It’s a plus over the Ram -trying to determine how much of a plus.
I drove one too, and I do like the torque delivery of a boosted engine. But power isn’t everything...the Ram has a much more stable ride and larger brakes. If I was focused on power, I’d have purchased a GMC Sierra Denali with the 6.2L...or a 3/4-ton truck. The HEMI is a solid, proven engine, pulls well when paired with the 3.92, and it’s wrapped in the best package available right now.

Savagescott

Reaction score
I drove one too, and I do like the torque delivery of a boosted engine. But power isn’t everything...the Ram has a much more stable ride and larger brakes. If I was focused on power, I’d have purchased a GMC Sierra Denali with the 6.2L...or a 3/4-ton truck. The HEMI is a solid, proven engine, pulls well when paired with the 3.92, and it’s wrapped in the best package available right now.

I do agree. And thanks for mentioning the brakes. Haven’t looked real hard but I was wondering how they compare. Do you know the actual differences?

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I do agree. And thanks for mentioning the brakes. Haven’t looked real hard but I was wondering how they compare. Do you know the actual differences?
I don’t know about design specifics, but an F-150 has 13.8” front / 13.7” rear discs, whereas the Ram has 14.9” front / 14.8” rear discs. This is why Ram had to go with an 18” standard wheel.

Savagescott

Reaction score
I don’t know about design specifics, but an F-150 has 13.8” front / 13.7” rear discs, whereas the Ram has 14.9” front / 14.8” rear discs. This is why Ram had to go with an 18” standard wheel.

Definitely a part of the consideration. Thank you.

steveved

Reaction score
FYI about brakes... I test drove a 2019 GMC Sierra Denali before purchasing my Ram Laramie. While the extra power of the engine was noticeable, the GMC was still a tad bouncy and the brakes were pretty weak. While the stock brakes on my RAM are not quite as good as the aftermarket setup I had installed on my 2014 Chevy Silverado, they are way better than the stock brakes on the GMC I drove.

So, I bought the RAM. Still waiting on the aftermarket brake manufacturers to offer something for the new RAM. These brakes are good, but could be better. :)

whsk12

Reaction score
all i know is it will set you back in the seat with some throttle-damn rocket in town!

Users who are viewing this thread