5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does Anyone Use Conventional Oil?

dandar

Reaction score
Dealer uses 5W-20 non-synthetic. Owner manual doesn't specify synthetic and given that changing oil yourself is a PITA I just let the dealer do it for $60.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I don't know where it came from either. But I do know I switched to synthetic in my 2 BMW (2003 K1200RS and GT) motorcycles and I had leaks. I'm not going for a third.

Better quality oils have better detergents, it's possible the better oil cleaned up some deposits or gunk and exposed a leak that was already there but hidden due to garbage. That's the only explanation I can think of. Same reason many people are afraid to change transmission fluid if it's really really old and never maintained.

If you put synthetic in your truck and it magically springs a leak, then something was horribly wrong and the dealer would have to fix it under warranty.

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Better quality oils have better detergents, it's possible the better oil cleaned up some deposits or gunk and exposed a leak that was already there but hidden due to garbage. That's the only explanation I can think of. Same reason many people are afraid to change transmission fluid if it's really really old and never maintained.

If you put synthetic in your truck and it magically springs a leak, then something was horribly wrong and the dealer would have to fix it under warranty.
Perhaps these newfound leaks after switching oil types is actually from poor re-installation of the oil filter or drainplug, etc?

Jako

Reaction score

Synthetic in my 2019 Ram, 2016 BMW K1300s and traditional in my 2001 Dodge Ram SLT and 2003 MCs. Don't have an explanation why they leaked, don't know if true or not but twice is enough for my experience.

HoosierTrooper

Reaction score
With the rollout last year of the new API SP service category and ILSAC GF-6 true conventional became a thing of the past, at least in the 5W-20 and 30 grades. Apparently it’s too difficult to build an oil that meets the tougher SP/GF-6 requirements using only Group II or II+ base stocks so they have to blend in some Group III or higher synthetic base stock to get a finished product that can pass all of the tests.

Personally, I wouldn’t be concerned with the percentage of synthetic in the finished product, it’s irrelevant as long as it meets the intended licenses and certifications and allows the oil to pass all of the required tests. If you don’t want to use synthetic for some reason you’re likely not going to find a 5W-20 or 30 oil that isn’t labeled as synthetic blend or semi synthetic unless you find some old stock of SN or SN+.

Jako

Reaction score
With the rollout last year of the new API SP service category and ILSAC GF-6 true conventional became a thing of the past, at least in the 5W-20 and 30 grades. Apparently it’s too difficult to build an oil that meets the tougher SP/GF-6 requirements using only Group II or II+ base stocks so they have to blend in some Group III or higher synthetic base stock to get a finished product that can pass all of the tests.

Personally, I wouldn’t be concerned with the percentage of synthetic in the finished product, it’s irrelevant as long as it meets the intended licenses and certifications and allows the oil to pass all of the required tests. If you don’t want to use synthetic for some reason you’re likely not going to find a 5W-20 or 30 oil that isn’t labeled as synthetic blend or semi synthetic unless you find some old stock of SN or SN+.
Thanks for the info.
Penzoil did have a traditional oil that met the Mopar specs. I went to look for it the other day and could not find a traditional oil. A while back I checked the Penzoil site to see what oil they recommended for the 5.7 Hemi and it did not include the traditional oil despite meeting the Mopar specs. I sent an email inquiring why it was not included for the Hemi and never received a reply.

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
I’ve always done conventional oil in my hemis and I’ve never had any issues honestly. On my challenger I even had the dealership telling me 7500 miles was fine for conventional (and that’s what I did sometimes) and it never had any issues. What are some reasons I should switch to synthetic?

HoosierTrooper

Reaction score
Thanks for the info.
Penzoil did have a traditional oil that met the Mopar specs. I went to look for it the other day and could not find a traditional oil. A while back I checked the Penzoil site to see what oil they recommended for the 5.7 Hemi and it did not include the traditional oil despite meeting the Mopar specs. I sent an email inquiring why it was not included for the Hemi and never received a reply.
YW. The Pennzoil oil finder leaves a lot to be desired.

HoosierTrooper

Reaction score
What are some reasons I should switch to synthetic?
Mainly price and availability. Since “conventional” 5W-20 doesn’t exist any longer under the API SP category you’re only choice now is synthetic or synthetic blend, unless you find some old stock SN. The price difference between synthetic and synthetic blend isn’t huge, and with sales, rebates and brands like Super Tech and Kirkland some synthetics can actually be cheaper than synthetic blends.

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
Mainly price and availability. Since “conventional” 5W-20 doesn’t exist any longer under the API SP category you’re only choice now is synthetic or synthetic blend, unless you find some old stock SN. The price difference between synthetic and synthetic blend isn’t huge, and with sales, rebates and brands like Super Tech and Kirkland some synthetics can actually be cheaper than synthetic blends.
No kidding? They don’t make that oil in conventional anymore? I just had my oil changed at valvoline a few months back and they did conventional and didn’t even mention anything about that. Wow, so moving forward my only option is something with synthetic unless I get old oil? Is using “old stock” bad or doesn’t really matter?

Jako

Reaction score
No kidding? They don’t make that oil in conventional anymore? I just had my oil changed at valvoline a few months back and they did conventional and didn’t even mention anything about that. Wow, so moving forward my only option is something with synthetic unless I get old oil? Is using “old stock” bad or doesn’t really matter?
Based on "inventory from my inheritance" (Dad went to yard sales) oil goes bad. I have 2 cycle mix that has settled in the bottom and I have white castrol containers that have never been opened and the containers have changed color at the oil line. Now the question is what is the life span. My mechanic will use "old" oil to do a kind of flush for someone who neglected their oil change interval and then change the oil again.

HoosierTrooper

Reaction score
If you find some SN or SN+ oil at an auto parts store it should be fine. SN+ was introduced in 2018 and SN in 2010, but it's hard to imagine an auto parts store or a place like Walmart having oil more than a couple years old in a popular grade like 5W-20. API SN will become obsolete on May 1, 2021 which means oil companies can no longer sell oil displaying the API certification if it's SN/GF-5. Since API SP has been in effect for a year now it seems reasonable to believe the companies have only been sending out SP/GF-6 labelled oil to retailers so finding SN or SN+ conventional 5W-20 might take a little digging, and I'd give the container a good shaking before pouring it in, but I do that anyway even with the latest stuff!

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
If you find some SN or SN+ oil at an auto parts store it should be fine. SN+ was introduced in 2018 and SN in 2010, but it's hard to imagine an auto parts store or a place like Walmart having oil more than a couple years old in a popular grade like 5W-20. API SN will become obsolete on May 1, 2021 which means oil companies can no longer sell oil displaying the API certification if it's SN/GF-5. Since API SP has been in effect for a year now it seems reasonable to believe the companies have only been sending out SP/GF-6 labelled oil to retailers so finding SN or SN+ conventional 5W-20 might take a little digging, and I'd give the container a good shaking before pouring it in, but I do that anyway even with the latest stuff!
Ok thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread