5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does anyone have an 8.4" UConnect 5 that works?

Ramisgood

Reaction score
Tuesday, our radio was replaced because the original did not retain the presets. Thanks to RamCares, Destane, the work was done much quicker than the dealership would have done it. They never called when the replacement radio arrived.

We have two dealerships in the nearest town both lie and provide subpar service. The original radio did not work from the very onset and we had to bring it in for a refresh which was supposed to correct it. That didn't correct the issue and we opted to use the second dealership because of the lies from the first. Took the truck into the second dealership and was told the radio needed to be replaced and it would be two weeks for a replacement. After waiting 7 weeks, we were the informed to bring the truck in for a diagnostic so the dealership could order out a replacement.

The dealership never tested the replacement radio which is worse than the original. The service agent told me they always test everything out but if they did they did, it was without any time used on the radio as it read Jan. 1, 0001 when I was given the keys to my truck. A serviceman at the dealership told me there were numerous issues with the UConnect 5 systems. I'm wondering if this is the reason both dealerships are providing subpar assistance as they know it's a waste of their time.

One wonders what must be done to have a truck with everything working correctly. This is not what my 07 and 18 models gave me; I had no issues with them. We spend lots of $$$$ for these things and Chrysler should give us a truck without bugs. I don't know if a lawyer would help but am considering taking an alternate route to have a working rig.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
mine works fine as far as I know
my thumb drive songs start up where they leave off and when I am on radio it is on the same station as before. all presets are there.

update dec 30, 2022
sometimes the thumb drive starts at the beginning.
it is random so I never know when it will happen

Last edited:

skyhawk42

Reaction score
Mine only holds presets for a short while at a time. Now the volume settings started changing on their own as well. Get in and start driving only to find out the CarPlay volume has dropped down to 12 when I keep it at 20. I never have been able to play music from a flash drive. I just gave up on anything preset on this thing

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Only minor gripes with mine. Nav repeatably tells me the speed limit is 35 on some of the unposted country roads around here, but I'm pretty sure that's just poor map data, and the system is actually doing what it is told. Had to replace the telematics box under warranty, but it was just complaining about its battery being bad while it was actually working.

Mr.Grid

Reaction score
I have an early build 2022 Laramie 8.4 Nav with 18k miles and use Android Auto. It just updated software/firmware on Dec 19th while driving and everything continues to work correctly. I use usb drive (formatted to NTFS), Sirius and FM for all my audio listening.

Tinshield

Reaction score
My 8.4 Nav unit, other than a few times CarPlay not connecting has been really good. Never lost a preset. I’m pretty sure the Nav units are a different head unit all together. Haven’t heard of the Nav units losing presets.

rossn2

Reaction score
Have had my truck almost a year and since day 1 the 5.4 system hasn't worked correctly. The Weather App and Navigation Gas Prices work whenever they feel like it. I've rebooted and it works, then stops working. The so-called Level 4 tech at Dealership actually told me the Gas Prices within the Navigation app only work if the gas stations participate in the program. What a crock. I rebooted the system in front of him and the prices showed up and he shut up. I Put in ticket thru Ram Care and basically given up trying to get things fixed. Also, the Car Play sometimes doesn't work with iPhone so I turn the radio on and off to get it to work. I should have kept my 2019 North Edition truck,,,

clb5335

Reaction score
Is everyone still having a lot of problems with this system? It is a big selling point if/when it works. I'm wanting to buy a 2022, but I really want wireless android auto and carplay to connect and work well

Ramisgood

Reaction score
Is everyone still having a lot of problems with this system? It is a big selling point if/when it works. I'm wanting to buy a 2022, but I really want wireless android auto and carplay to connect and work well
No resolution on mine. The dealership told me last fall that an upgrade would be coming out the first quarter of 23 to resolve the issues. Stellantis not only fails to honor their warranty but they don't know the calendar as well. I recommend you check the other manufacturers to see if they are the same way.

Cool Dad

Reaction score

Very minor glitches with mine, but I'm happy with it. It is the 8.4 w/ Nav. And that's integrated with the upgraded 7" gauges, if that means anything. Mine has not lost any presets and works great 99% of the time. Probably about 3 or 4 times since I've owned it (7 months), the wireless Carplay (Pandora) skipped around for about 20 seconds and then eventually rebooted itself, which fixed it. There were two over the air updates that came through awhile back that seemed to help this problem. It has skipped a couple more times, but never rebooted itself after that update.

Garvanzo

Reaction score
mine works fine as far as I know
my thumb drive songs start up where they leave off and when I am on radio it is on the same station as before. all presets are there.

update dec 30, 2022
sometimes the thumb drive starts at the beginning.
it is random so I never know when it will happen
Mine too, and the shuffle never stays on so I have to choose that again every time the truck is restarted. Uconnect 4 in my Challengers didn't do that.

clb5335

Reaction score
Fwiw, uc5 in my 2022 has been nearly flawless. I'm very happy with it

irishwake63

Reaction score
mine in my 22 has been nothing but problems they replaced and new one has same issues either doesnt respond to touch or starts flashing or doesnt come on at all its been ok for the last month so now since I mentioned it it will start up with the issues again

Users who are viewing this thread