5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do I need LT tires?

daberk

Reaction score
I am looking at new tires and trying to decide if I should upgrade to LT tires or if the XLs are fine for my use.

I have a boat that I tow (no long distances) that on the trailer weighs ~5,000 lbs. I am also on gravel roads, off road some (mostly farm type conditions) and on the beach when hunting/fishing/training dogs. Would it be better to have LT tires for these type activities or are the XLs fine?

I currently have Toyo Open Country AT3s (XL) and they have been good tires.

ObxKyle

Reaction score
As far as sand goes, I live in the outer banks in Carova. I have a set of KO2's on my 2019 RAM they are great on soft sand at 20psi and I have no complaints on the highway not aired down.

PM-Performance

Reaction score
I have been towing on the ****ty oem 22” Goodyears for 3yrs. Not a single complaint and those are SL’s
I am putting on Continental terrain contact ht’s this week in xl as well.
I do tow my decently sized boat longish distances at times and 70-80mph speeds at times. It’s all good

Last edited:

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I am looking at new tires and trying to decide if I should upgrade to LT tires or if the XLs are fine for my use.

I have a boat that I tow (no long distances) that on the trailer weighs ~5,000 lbs. I am also on gravel roads, off road some (mostly farm type conditions) and on the beach when hunting/fishing/training dogs. Would it be better to have LT tires for these type activities or are the XLs fine?

I currently have Toyo Open Country AT3s (XL) and they have been good tires.
As long as your towing doesnt exceed the load rating for the tires that shouldn't be an issue. For your other conditions, tread design would play a bigger part.

Users who are viewing this thread