5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do I need air suspension?

N0cturnal

Reaction score
Hello, I have been lurking on these forums as I have set my mind on Ram 1500 Hemi 2022/23. I currently have 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Ecodiesel with air suspension and I love the comfort of air suspension on annual road trip over 2000 miles (and many 500 mile ones),which is the primary purpose of the JGC, and rarely gets driven locally.

I will probably never tow but I do drive on beach. I am now looking for something to replace JGC, but also want to go with system with least expensive repairs and most reliability (btw, zero issues with air suspension on my JGC) as I plan to keep the truck for as long as possible. I will buy Ram to replace SUV as I am running out of space when doing long trips with family. Are coil springs without much payload doable or air suspension has spoiled my family and me? It is difficult to tell on short test drives. Thanks for any inputs you may provide.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The air suspension does not help the ride quality unluss loaded with weight in bed.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Coil springs are progressive rate, softer when unloaded. Air suspension not so much, but lets you lower to get in/out and raise for offroad clearance.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Coil springs are progressive rate, softer when unloaded. Air suspension not so much, but lets you lower to get in/out and raise for offroad clearance.
Also handy for hooking up to trailers and auto leveling.

The only time I noticed a difference in unloaded ride quality was when “jumping” over some rough railroad tracks. The AS handled that a little better. But the coils rode great in typical driving conditions.

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have had a 19 ram w/o air ride and now a 21 with air ride. Driving empty and not pulling anything I don’t think the ride is much different. However when fully loaded with coolers, bikes, kayaks etc…. The air ride is definitely a better ride and the truck is always level, no rear end sagging. Also I pull a large pop up camper, it’s so much better with the air ride, again as soon as that weight is added to the truck it levels out, which results in a much better ride, even my kids who sit in the back seat will say how much nicer it rides than any other truck I’ve had. This would be a tough choice for me, but I’d say if you don’t ever really plan on pulling anything, I think I’d say skip the air ride that’s my thoughts👍🏻 Unless your going to be putting items in the bed often that are heavy? Because as soon as the rear end starts sagging your ride quality will drop! Good luck in whatever you decide!

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was a little upset at first that I didn't get the air ride, but after reading a lot of complaints (probably more 4th gen though) I'm not so sure. There are aftermarket options though.

Bpebler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I put just over 58k on my 21 Laramie with coils & at 28k on my 22 Limited with air. Personally, I can tell the difference in n the air even when unloaded, BUT - wheel/tire size & tire type, as well as standard or Off Road Group, will play a major factor in the plush feel. The best air suspension trim is one that I test drove - a Longhorn Limited with air suspension & Off Road Group package was the smoothest while unloaded, especially over railroad tracks & bumpy roads in town.

I downsized the wheels on the Limited from 22” to 20” which match the Longhorn size & went with Michelin Defender LTX MS tires again & it’s definitely smoother than my 21 Laramie with coils, even unloaded.

As far as issues, air suspension is a matter of when, not if, it will fail. Personally, I opted for a different warranty other than Mopar to make sure the air suspension repairs will be covered for the type of use I utilize my truck for & the amount of miles I drive. As stated, there are aftermarket options if you go the coil route - Timber Grove has an excellent reputation.

As far as “need” as you stated in the title - that’s subjective. I don’t make 2k mile long trips like you do, but I do drive 60k per year on various types of roads in different parts of the Midwest & I notice the air suspension makes a difference for me even unloaded compared to the coils. When I had the 22” wheels & factory Pirelli’s, not so much when the tires reached around 15-20k. I only tow about once per year & looking forward to what kind of difference that will make. As far as loading the bed, I hardly ever put any substantial weight there. Small amounts of lumber every once in a while. I have a tonneau cover & HD rack & had a slight amount of luggage weight in the rear this past week for family vacation on a 12 hour one way drive. If I had to guess, maybe 200lbs with cover, rack, & luggage included. Made a difference in smoothness for sure compared to last year, but again, both the 21 & 22 came with 22” wheels due to the Night Edition packages & downsizing to the 20” wheel before this trip with a reputable tire made a big difference.

Sorry if this post is all over the place. We just got back late last night & had a busy day today. I’m tired AF. 😁

Last edited:

Neil McCauley

Reaction score
The thread title is amusing. The air suspension is very handy but it's a ticking time bomb, and there's nothing you can do about it.

N0cturnal

Reaction score
Sorry if this post is all over the place. We just got back late last night & had a busy day today. I’m tired AF. 😁
No, your response is great. Thank you! I do feel the difference with air ride on my GC, especially when it is loaded in the back with stuff. I usually take a hitch mounted carrier and put a big box on it with stuff in it and that’s when the suspension really shines. Passing through NY bridges is not even noticed🤣

I think this will be a more difficult decision for me to make than it was to go for Hemi over Ecodiesel (which I love).

Thanks everyone who replied.

N0cturnal

Reaction score
I am in Maryland and it doesn’t get very cold. My garage is consistently 13 degree warmer than outside temp in winters and my JGC is always garaged. Keeping two cars in two car garage is very important to me and that is why considering 1500. Otherwise,my dream truck will be 2500 Cummins Megacab 😁

Users who are viewing this thread