5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DO I HAVE A LIFTER PROBLEM OR IS THIS NORMAL?

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm looking for some input from other members here to determine if I have a problem or if it is completely normal. I'm pretty sure the RAM Service Department would tell me that its normal and I don't want to waste my time. When I am driving my truck and taking it easy, I can hear a slight rattle that almost sounds like a light pinging detonation sound. I usually notice this when when MDS/Eco is active. Sometimes I think it sounds like a diesel or an exhaust leak if that helps explain it better. It isn't a fuel problem as it occurs whether I use 87, 89, or 93; and I always use Top Tier (Mobil, Shell, or Sunoco) gas. My truck runs fine; but the sound concerns me. It isn't very loud; I just think my ears are a little sensitive to that frequency so I become preoccupied with it. I owned one vehicle with MDS previously (a 2009 Pontiac G8 GT) and I never noticed a pinging sound; it would just make a low hum/buzz going in and out. I'm just curious if anyone else has noticed this. I understand how MDS works and that it could make some noise; but I keep feeling that maybe there is something wrong. Is this just the normal sound for a Hemi MDS system?

cotonymopar

Reaction score
my 12 would really sing when I started it up in the morning,until it got warm... found I had a warped and cracked manifold. got it replaced, and no more morning (cold) startup noise... now they do make a sound like that... just the nature of the beast... I have had 3 now, 03 first hemi, 12, and now 19... the fan is louder because it is an efan instead of mechanical.

RamLink83

Reaction score
I'm looking for some input from other members here to determine if I have a problem or if it is completely normal. I'm pretty sure the RAM Service Department would tell me that its normal and I don't want to waste my time. When I am driving my truck and taking it easy, I can hear a slight rattle that almost sounds like a light pinging detonation sound. I usually notice this when when MDS/Eco is active. Sometimes I think it sounds like a diesel or an exhaust leak if that helps explain it better. It isn't a fuel problem as it occurs whether I use 87, 89, or 93; and I always use Top Tier (Mobil, Shell, or Sunoco) gas. My truck runs fine; but the sound concerns me. It isn't very loud; I just think my ears are a little sensitive to that frequency so I become preoccupied with it. I owned one vehicle with MDS previously (a 2009 Pontiac G8 GT) and I never noticed a pinging sound; it would just make a low hum/buzz going in and out. I'm just curious if anyone else has noticed this. I understand how MDS works and that it could make some noise; but I keep feeling that maybe there is something wrong. Is this just the normal sound for a Hemi MDS system?
I know this is an old thread, but my new 2020 with 500 miles has a similar noise. Did it since I got it with 36 miles on it, so I assumed it was normal. Does yours still do this or did you end up going to a dealer to see if it was normal?

Danny_TheHouseCook

Reaction score
My Hemi (1st new gen when they reintroduced the Hemi) pinged. I used to think it was a lifter but dealer said all is well. Nothing ever happened to it so I guess the dealer was right.

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m curious if these noises People hear are MDS related or not. It will definitely ping and do some funky stuff when you are accelerating in MDS with too much load

RamLink83

Reaction score
I’m curious if these noises People hear are MDS related or not. It will definitely ping and do some funky stuff when you are accelerating in MDS with too much load
I would assume it's MDS related because I really only notice it when it's in ECO and under a slight load. It almost reminds me of when you have a manual car or motorcycle and are in too high of a gear going up a hill and it's lugging along, close to the point of stalling. I think I can also hear a similar sound when it's not in ECO mode when accelerating up a hill, but it's definitely a lot quieter.

I would hope nothing is wrong with the engine since it made that sound brand new and currently only have 500ish miles on it, but who knows. I seem to have bad luck when it comes to vehicles. My previous truck, a Tundra, had a major oil leak at 4000 miles.

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yep that’s just what it does in MDS/eco, all my trucks have done this. I’ve probably got somewhere around 65k miles of combined hemi mileage with no issues. I wouldn’t sweat it.

RamLink83

Reaction score
Yep that’s just what it does in MDS/eco, all my trucks have done this. I’ve probably got somewhere around 65k miles of combined hemi mileage with no issues. I wouldn’t sweat it.
Ok good. That makes me feel better. The rattle sound (kinda like a faint diesel engine sound) had me nervous.

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ok good. That makes me feel better. The rattle sound (kinda like a faint diesel engine sound) had me nervous.

ive always wondered if running 87 has something to do with it, but I’ve never cared enough to try 93 lol.

RamLink83

Reaction score
ive always wondered if running 87 has something to do with it, but I’ve never cared enough to try 93 lol.
I might try 93 the next fill up. I'm only on my second tank of gas since I got it. Not sure what the dealer put in it when I got it, but when I filled it up, I used 89.

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I know this is an old thread, but my new 2020 with 500 miles has a similar noise. Did it since I got it with 36 miles on it, so I assumed it was normal. Does yours still do this or did you end up going to a dealer to see if it was normal?
Yes, mine still does it. I have 17,000 miles on the truck now. It is the MDS that does it; I just wanted to know if other forum members thought it was unusually loud. However, after driving a couple rental RAMS I decided myself that it was normal. My truck runs well; so I just turn up the stereo when it bothers me. The difference between using MDS and not using it is about 2-3 MPG for my everyday driving; so I'll live with it.

jabara572

Reaction score
Yes, mine still does it. I have 17,000 miles on the truck now. It is the MDS that does it; I just wanted to know if other forum members thought it was unusually loud. However, after driving a couple rental RAMS I decided myself that it was normal. My truck runs well; so I just turn up the stereo when it bothers me. The difference between using MDS and not using it is about 2-3 MPG for my everyday driving; so I'll live with it.

Mine does the slight rattle too in MDS, so did the loaner that I had, i dont think its really pinging just some weird MDS noises. I only run 87 myself and also dont really care enough to try 93. Ive got 7yr/100k so it can throw a rod through the hood for all i care :p

Lit_AF

Hardware Geek - Pro Detailer
Reaction score
Mine was very noticeable after changing to long tube headers.. Shortly after the tune, I disabled the dod lifters and they failed. Was on a 5.3 ls engine. Yes dod or msd lifters are ticky by nature.

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
Mine sounds like it has "Exhaust Brake" when the MDS is on... sounds weird but it's normal

HEMI19

Reaction score
Yep, my 2019 Ram 1500 does it, especially when under light load and in Eco Mode, it pings pretty loud (to me at least, no one else can hear it but me) in 3-4 gear at around 3,000 RPM under moderate / heavy load especially when going up hill.

Last edited:

Bdacamano

Reaction score
I went to two different dealerships on about four different occasions for this exact noise. I was able to finally get a really good tech at one who confirmed it was the MDS. Ram's home office techs then sent me for a ride with the manager at the other dealerahip (to confirm) who drove with me for a while and I was able to recreate it - He also said MDS. I, like you, have ears that pick up this sound easily. I think ram has the MDS turned up a little too aggressively on the 2019s+, so it doesn't want to kick off when you get some engine load. It's especially bad where I live bc we have a lot of small hills so it's enough to stress the drive train but not enough to kick it off. When I take it on a road trip to somewhere flat, it's a great system. I've just gotten into a habit of using the +/- when I hear it kick on and make that noise.

Users who are viewing this thread