5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do I have a chip in my windshield?

Jake1050

Reaction score
Odd question to ask in here I know. After I bought my 2021 (used) I noticed "something" in the blacked out area in front of the rearview mirror (from the outside) that looks like a rock chip. It's hard to tell and I guess it could be some sort of rain sensor or camera or something. I know there should not be a camera in that blacked out area.
Can any of you guys see anything in that area or is it just black? I'm worried that if it is a chip it could start to grow. I'm not even sure if a chip repair will even stop a chip from growing.

Attachments

• Ramwind.jpg
    Ramwind.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 35

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Odd question to ask in here I know. After I bought my 2021 (used) I noticed "something" in the blacked out area in front of the rearview mirror (from the outside) that looks like a rock chip. It's hard to tell and I guess it could be some sort of rain sensor or camera or something. I know there should not be a camera in that blacked out area.
Can any of you guys see anything in that area or is it just black? I'm worried that if it is a chip it could start to grow. I'm not even sure if a chip repair will even stop a chip from growing.
Can't see anything in that picture. Don't you have better, closer shot? There is a sensor and possible camera in that area. But need a better picture.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's not a chip. It's a bubble from where a sensor is glued to the inside of the windshield.

I noticed the same thing the day I got my truck and called the dealer.

Below is what mine looks like.

IMG_3058 (1).jpg

Jake1050

Reaction score
OMG thank you guys so much. I'm so relieved. :) What is that sensor for? I didn't think my truck had automatic wipers.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What is that sensor for? I didn't think my truck had automatic wipers.

I think it's a humidity sensor used by the automatic AC system to help avoid window fogging.

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
OMG thank you guys so much. I'm so relieved. :) What is that sensor for? I didn't think my truck had automatic wipers.
I think it's a humidity sensor used by the automatic AC system to help avoid window fogging.
It is the humidity sensor for trucks with auto climate control and the auto wiper sensor for trucks equipped with it. It is the same module but may only have one sensor in it. You can replace it for $50 with the one with 2 sensors and enable auto wipers with AlfaOBD.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
i know several have given good answers
but it would help if you could tell us about your truck.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have that same sensor, seven chips and one crack...

Users who are viewing this thread