5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DIY Ceramic

Tmsmedic

Reaction score
I thought I’d share my experience detailing my new 2021 Ram 1500 Limited Midnight Edition. This is my 3rd ram and 1st Limited and I love it. So for starters, this was prepped by the dealer with that Super Prosteel junk that I did not pay for but was applied prior to purchase. It’s nothing more than a wax as far as I can tell. So I’ve detailed many vehicles and have been into ceramic for the past 5 years. My first attempt was with a semi professional product from Wolfgang. Quality product but not for beginners (which I was). End result turned out ok to good, but not perfect. On other vehicles (my wife’s) I have experimented a bit...between Amazon cheap ceramic to Turtle Wax Ceramic. Each has some good and bad points...and all better than traditional wax.
With the purchase of my new truck, I decided to give a product a try I’ve seen on a lot of automotive YouTube channels...Avalon King. I did a lot of research and tried to find something bad to offfsetting, and honestly I couldn’t. So, I decided to pull the trigger. I bought a kit (two actually) and went to work.

So the key to any success in a ceramic coating is the prep work. Today, my truck took just over 8 hours start to finish. First, I washed the truck in Dawn, to remove the wax that was applied by the dealer. I followed that with a clay mitt wash with dawn to remove oxidation and deposits (and also left over wax). Side note...yes it was new, but it did have fallout on the paint. Here is a test...take a ziplock bag and use it as a mit over your freshly washed car. I have yet to feel a car that hasn’t been clay barred recently to not feel like sandpaper. Made the clay bar seem totally worth it.

Next, I polished the paint with Meguiar’s #9 swirl remover. This is key to make the paint pop. After that, I wiped with alcohol and began the ceramic coating process. The Avalon King product was the easiest I have ever used and was very forgiving. The additional gloss was immediately apparent. Also, the paint feels like butter. Anyway, I recommend it, look them up. Will make you smile if you like satisfaction for a days long work.

Attachments

• 58617A8F-F817-45F2-9049-57726613F7A9.jpeg
    58617A8F-F817-45F2-9049-57726613F7A9.jpeg
    125.8 KB · Views: 188

Jeeper

Reaction score
I thought I’d share my experience detailing my new 2021 Ram 1500 Limited Midnight Edition. This is my 3rd ram and 1st Limited and I love it. So for starters, this was prepped by the dealer with that Super Prosteel junk that I did not pay for but was applied prior to purchase. It’s nothing more than a wax as far as I can tell. So I’ve detailed many vehicles and have been into ceramic for the past 5 years. My first attempt was with a semi professional product from Wolfgang. Quality product but not for beginners (which I was). End result turned out ok to good, but not perfect. On other vehicles (my wife’s) I have experimented a bit...between Amazon cheap ceramic to Turtle Wax Ceramic. Each has some good and bad points...and all better than traditional wax.
With the purchase of my new truck, I decided to give a product a try I’ve seen on a lot of automotive YouTube channels...Avalon King. I did a lot of research and tried to find something bad to offfsetting, and honestly I couldn’t. So, I decided to pull the trigger. I bought a kit (two actually) and went to work.

So the key to any success in a ceramic coating is the prep work. Today, my truck took just over 8 hours start to finish. First, I washed the truck in Dawn, to remove the wax that was applied by the dealer. I followed that with a clay mitt wash with dawn to remove oxidation and deposits (and also left over wax). Side note...yes it was new, but it did have fallout on the paint. Here is a test...take a ziplock bag and use it as a mit over your freshly washed car. I have yet to feel a car that hasn’t been clay barred recently to not feel like sandpaper. Made the clay bar seem totally worth it.

Next, I polished the paint with Meguiar’s #9 swirl remover. This is key to make the paint pop. After that, I wiped with alcohol and began the ceramic coating process. The Avalon King product was the easiest I have ever used and was very forgiving. The additional gloss was immediately apparent. Also, the paint feels like butter. Anyway, I recommend it, look them up. Will make you smile if you like satisfaction for a days long work.
did you also apply the ceramic to the wheels, glass and all plastic trim? I am considering having my local detailer do an application.....I am pretty good at detailing but have yet to dabble in ceramic products

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

Tmsmedic

Reaction score
did you also apply the ceramic to the wheels, glass and all plastic trim? I am considering having my local detailer do an application.....I am pretty good at detailing but have yet to dabble in ceramic products

All but the glass (I did do the pano roof as a test and if it holds out well I’ll do the others). First time doing the plastic trim, but I saw reviews online about this product and it lives up to all expectations. If you’ve ever used a orbital buffer, I’d highly recommend doing it yourself with this stuff...for about $100 and a full weekend you can get a great looking truck. The key is prepping the surface. Applying this product was super simple. It leveled better than any other ceramic I’ve ever used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Most of DIY coatings success is in the prep and paint correction as beginners (like myself) will make more mistakes in these stages rather than the coating stage. Do your research, prep thoroughly, paint correct correctly and use a decent ceramic and you’ll get great results. Nice work OP, truck looks fantastic!

AmericanRebelution

Reaction score

Dude - go for it. Follow directions on the product exactly and you will be fine. Do some research and watch some videos. You'll save a ton of money. If you have the time, go for it!

~Ocho1~

Reaction score
A few weeks ago I ceramic coated my truck too. I used Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Elite coating kit that I got from Autogeek, which is where I usually order all my detailing stuff.

As said before, prep work is everything!! Mine was a 2 day ordeal. Day one I washed, clay barred & polished the truck. Day two I quickly went over it with Black Fire Spray Detailer to remove any dust & pollen that had accumulated on it. Then went over it with the surface cleaning polish that came with the kit & then proceeded to apply the ceramic coating.

The kit also came with a wheel coating & a glass coating, but I was simply too tired to apply those that day. Maybe next time I wash the truck I'll go ahead & apply those.

I have noticed that the truck seems to stay cleaner longer (& I work on a construction site!). So far I'm very happy with the ceramic coating.

Users who are viewing this thread