5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DIY Cargo Management Rails?

SShadow1974

Reaction score
I've done some searching and I just can't seem to find any reference...
Is there a rail that one could buy from like HomeDepot that could be bolted to the inside of the bed that could have after market cleats attached to?
In a search on YouTube, I found some cleats for Toyotas, but when I searched for RAM trucks, nothing came up. So I am wondering about a DIY solution for a rail that I'd be able to used these cleats with... Rather than spending over $300US on the system from Mopar, if they're even available.
Toyota Cargo Cleats

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I've done some searching and I just can't seem to find any reference...
Is there a rail that one could buy from like HomeDepot that could be bolted to the inside of the bed that could have after market cleats attached to?
In a search on YouTube, I found some cleats for Toyotas, but when I searched for RAM trucks, nothing came up. So I am wondering about a DIY solution for a rail that I'd be able to used these cleats with... Rather than spending over $300US on the system from Mopar, if they're even available.
Toyota Cargo Cleats
The Toyota cleats work with the Mopar rails (at least, the black rails). I took the cleats off of my Tacoma when I switched trucks, so now I have a mixture of Mopar and Toyota cleats, and they work just fine. I actually prefer the Toyota cleats to the Mopar ones.
That said, I don't have a suggestion for an aftermarket rail that works with the Toyota cleats. I'd suggest buying a set of rails off of someone who wants to get rid of theirs. For example, here's a listing from the TRX forum.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
There's probably something out there that could be modified. Might take some trial and error, and probably some fab skills as well. In the end you could end up spending more than what you can get the Mopar rails for if you factor in your time. Honestly I've never used the hold downs that came with the rails, and my only reason for wanting them is the tonneau cover we have mounts to them. Otherwise I could take them or leave them. You can probably find a used set pretty easily.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

SShadow1974

Reaction score
Not sure I'd recommend that one. I looked up the specs on it, and the capacity of those tie-off points is somewhere between "hungry puppy" and "angry kitten".
LMAO. Ok, well, I guess I'll just put the cargo management idea in the back of my mind for now. Already spent too much money on accessories already. :)

ej23

Reaction score
I've done something like this in my 2003 Tundra using unistrut, though I don't use cleats in the rail. I do use the unistrut nuts to fix items directly to the rail, including the L brackets for use with unitstrut, which provide a decent mounting point. FYI The Mopar rails are mounted with just a few nutserts - I have the mopar rails in my Ram. The Mopar rails look nicer for sure, but I believe the unistrut rails are stonger.

Steve263

Reaction score
The existing rail holes use M6 rivnuts and then i picked up some superstrut for the rails. All said $50. From there you can put anything you want anywhere. Just a quick trip to home depot instead of buying expensive mounting brackets. I put in 1 rail in each side and then put some quick fists for the bottom set.

I went with a 3/4 rail because I also use those nutserts for a fire extguisher and a propane bottle 20230402_200738.jpg 20230402_200728.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread