5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Disable one side of Power Running-Boards

bropp

Reaction score
Hey All,

I'm looking to purchase a 2021 RAM 1500 Longhorn. This truck is for myself and my grandfather who has some mobility issues. He sits in the passenger seat and needs a step on the ground to get into his current truck. The Longhorn trucks we've looked at all have the power-deploying running boards, which sit too low to the ground for him to be able to hoist himself into the truck. They also prevent a step from being placed on the ground because they swing far away from the truck.

I know the running boards can be set to always be stowed in the settings of the infotainment, but is there an easy way to cut the power to one side of the running boards so that the driver's side still works, but the passenger's stays stowed all the time? We've tried to find out if we can factory delete the power running boards and replace them with standard ones, while keeping the Level 1 Equip. Group, but the dealer says that isn't possible. The dealer recommended we have them replace the boards with standard ones after purchase, but that just seems like a waste of money.

I'm fairly handy, but am cautious about pulling wires on a new $60K+ truck. Any thoughts on how to do this relatively easily, while being able to restore the passenger's side if we ever want to sell the truck?

Thanks!

–Brian

Last edited:

ZombieSlayer

Reaction score
FWIW I don't have power running boards, but I would think you could unplug the passenger side ... somewhere. Don't know if it would throw a code(s) either :D

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
Remove it and leave the motor plugged in and tucked away...

RebelWraith

Polymath
Reaction score
Climb under the passenger side of the truck. Behind the front wheel you will see the motor assembly for the power running board. Disconnect the plug from the motor and it will not function on that side. Find a way to seal the male and female connections from the weather.

nought

Reaction score
Not the answer you're looking for but of if you decide you don't want them i am looking to add them to my truck and I'm sure others are too so you could sell them to offset the cost.

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Seems to me you could either find or make a step that could be used and fit over the boards. There seems to be plenty of space between the step and the truck frame.
The first pic is an example of what I'm suggesting though the step is obviously not tall enough. It was easy to place it over the runningboard without risk of damage to the truck.

The second pic is at a slight angle from vertical and the third pic is looking straight-ish down.

I assume you would set the step over the board, help your grandfather in, then put the step in the back seat.

step3.jpg

step1.jpg

step2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread