5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dip stick sucks

Rebel_driver

Reaction score
Anyone else having trouble reading their oil level on the ED dipstick? I did an oil change about 2 weeks ago, filled to spec. Hard to see any oil level when I check.
A friend has a 19 hemi and the dipstick on that engine is different than on the ED.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
After a few hours the oil should be black and easily visible. Make sure you are level and checking cold. If you have no oil on the dipstick, you need more oil. Mine took over 9 quarts to show on the stick.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
keep putting oil in until it shows on the stick. That's what it is there for.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I HATE this style of dipstick with the bulb on the end. Very hard to read, especially when the oil is new. One of these days I'm going to find a normal flat dipstick of identical length and switch it over.

Rebel_driver

Reaction score
I HATE this style of dipstick with the bulb on the end. Very hard to read, especially when the oil is new. One of these days I'm going to find a normal flat dipstick of identical length and switch it over.

I agree 100%! The hemi dipstick is flat I believe. Would that fit in our ED?

EugeneYYZ

Reaction score
After a few hours the oil should be black and easily visible. Make sure you are level and checking cold. If you have no oil on the dipstick, you need more oil. Mine took over 9 quarts to show on the stick.
Nope , oil gets dark after few weeks , new engines are different . i checked oil every day on mine new truck , it gets dark after 1000k

oldtimer

Reaction score
There have been cases where the dipstick was the wrong length. Unusual, but I'd have it checked out at the dealership service dept. Worth it.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I agree 100%! The hemi dipstick is flat I believe. Would that fit in our ED?

It probably would, but obviously the main thing is to verify that they are identical in length, and I doubt they are. It would probably take some trial and error and a little research to find a dipstick from another vehicle that's the exact same length, but I bet it's doable.

NewLove

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I never saw a dipstick so long also!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You should see the one for my V10 in the RV. It's two dipsticks welded together. it's ridiculous, I have to coil it up to get it out and read it without chucking it in the dirt.

gene

Reaction score
Where the hell is the dipstick on the ed? I don't see one!

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Passenger side. Round yellow ring buried in the middle.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I measured a Cummins stick today and it's slightly too long. Darn. The Cummins stick is orange on the end. Very easy to read.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Too long is an easy fix compared to too short. Cut it down and use a dremel or jewelers pick to mark it with holes/ crosshatch or your preferred measuring method.

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I saw a bunch of replacement Dipsticks at O'Riellys Auto Parts that look like the factory
one with the yellow ring. I don't have my truck yet to compare them.

Malodave

Dragonmaster13

Reaction score
Grab an older 4th gen hemi dipstick, they are two pieces riveted together in the middle. Drill out the rivets, cut to length and rivet back together, problem solved.

Users who are viewing this thread