5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Diff question for the gear heads

Techneck

Reaction score
I have a 2012 ram sport.... this is the original rear axle assembly

It has a 14 bolt diff cover, (100% not miss counted)
has 5 lug axles , with in diff keys for retention ( so non free floating)
Non tapered (single) outter axle bearings 1.7 inch
Side drain and fill plugs (like the post 2020 trucks) allen key, pipe fitting style (no orings)
9.25 ring gear. (Shop says that what it messured, they originaly assumed it was a 10.5 because of the 14 bolt pattern on the cover)

Wtf diff do i have? My truck has been in the shop for a month and every set of bearing parts they order will not fit the carrier.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 2012 ram sport.... this is the original rear axle assembly

It has a 14 bolt diff cover, (100% not miss counted)
has 5 lug axles , with in diff keys for retention ( so non free floating)
Non tapered (single) outter axle bearings 1.7 inch
Side drain and fill plugs (like the post 2020 trucks) allen key, pipe fitting style (no orings)
9.25 ring gear. (Shop says that what it messured, they originaly assumed it was a 10.5 because of the 14 bolt pattern on the cover)

Wtf diff do i have? My truck has been in the shop for a month and every set of bearing parts they order will not fit the carrier.

Match up your diff cover to the picture. Also, your build sheet/window sticker should show what axle you have. And check your glovebox. I know they used to have a sticker on glovebox with that information as well. Not sure if they still do or not

Techneck

Reaction score
I was looking at that website earlier... my diff plate isn't there. It looks like the 10.5 with 14 bolts but it lacks the fill plug. Both the fill and drain plugs are on the diff body themselfs like the newer 9.25

Its why both me and the shop are stumped. Its clearly an aam axle, most of the 9.25 bearings and seals fit (outters, pinion) but the carrier bearings seam to be a mystery. I remeber the drive line shop having issues changing my pinion seal a few months ago, because they thought it was a 10.5 as well based off the cover.

Techneck

Reaction score
Well its moot now... the shop on the sly dropped a used standard 9.25 axle onto my truck... i geuss they figured i wouldnt notice and were sick of trying to find parts to rebuild the diff with...

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Well its moot now... the shop on the sly dropped a used standard 9.25 axle onto my truck... i geuss they figured i wouldnt notice and were sick of trying to find parts to rebuild the diff with...
Are you happy with the repair now, or are you feeling you have a different fight on your hands?

Users who are viewing this thread