5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Diesel additives “POWER SERVICE” brand name

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Has anyone used the fuel additive brand name Power Service, Diesel Kleen + Cetane Boost, it is endorsed by Cummins, and is available at Canadian Tire, Walmart…. it’s not concentrated like Hot Shot edt meaning it will take 8 ounces to treat 25 gallons, and is comparable in pricing if you were to add 2 ounces of Hot Shot to treat 25 gallons (performance dose). The price comparison is when buying a 64 oz bottle of Power Service and a 16 oz bottle of Hot Shot. Not cheap at around $4.50 per tank full. Canadian pricing.
I will be doing a 500 mile highway trip soon and will be adding 8 oz of Power Service to my full tank of fuel, 100 litres or 26 gallon. I honestly would have preferred to get the Hot Shot but I can’t buy it in town, it would have to be ordered from Amazon.ca and might not arrive in time for my trip. I know my truck’s highway mpg and performance, summer and winter, and have done the next trip many times in all weather conditions, hopefully I will see a noticeable improvement, someone will probably say it will take a few tank fulls to clean the injectors before seeing improvements, but my truck is mostly used for highway driving so I don’t think my injectors would be really bad.

I will post the results soon after my trip.

5A452DA2-32FA-45D3-A691-46C1F0828348.png

Reactions: c3k

bikemancs

Reaction score
I used the grey PS in my Cummins for years. I usually put ~8-12 oz in every couple of fill ups. tends to burn a tad heavy initially and then clears up. The white doesn't come in as frequently needed here in NC (although this last week might have bene useful). I do pour it in before filling up if I have it with me in the truck, otherwise, I've poured it in at home and then gone to fill up.

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I used the grey PS in my Cummins for years. I usually put ~8-12 oz in every couple of fill ups. tends to burn a tad heavy initially and then clears up. The white doesn't come in as frequently needed here in NC (although this last week might have bene useful). I do pour it in before filling up if I have it with me in the truck, otherwise, I've poured it in at home and then gone to fill up.
Did you ever have problems regarding your Cummins engine or problems with your fuel/pump/injectors system? Did you use the fuel additives to prevent engine/fuel system issues? or did have problems with the engine/fuel system that made you decide to use the fuel additives, to prevent the problems from happening again.

Last edited:

mdirads

Reaction score
Does it matter if the additive is added before fueling or after fueling? Seems to me it does not matter.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There's a bunch of reviews on them all.

In my TDi days I used the grey powerservice.

Now I use the Hotshots Secret EDT. I carry a 60ml syringe and I can draw up a full syringe and shoot it right into the fuel nozzle before I pump.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Does it matter if the additive is added before fueling or after fueling? Seems to me it does not matter.
from all the digging I’ve done online, I’ve gathered that it doesn’t really matter. I add hot shots right before I put the nozzle in to fill up.

I use power service in my diesel kubota tractor. It’s worked well, and even stood up to 9 months of sitting in the tractor’s fuel tank.

Since Aseras mentioned how he adds EDT, the way I use mine from a half gallon container is I got a 32 ounce Stabil container, cleaned it out, and poured in EDT. Now I just measure out 1-2 ounces from the Stabil quick measure and pour it in the tank.

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
To use 8 oz of Power Service, I will use the funnel that came with the truck and keep it in the Rambox, I will also keep a measuring container filled with the Power Service.

bikemancs

Reaction score
Did you ever have problems regarding your Cummins engine or problems with your fuel/pump/injectors system? Did you use the fuel additives to prevent engine/fuel system issues? or did have problems with the engine/fuel system that made you decide to use the fuel additives, to prevent the problems from happening again.
Nope. 233,xxx miles and going strong. I use it because it was recommended by someone I trust years ago. Like I posted, It does seem to blow a bit more soot out after it works into the fuel system. A bit more soot and such for about a quarter to half the tank I treat. Calms down/goes back to normal after that. I then usually go a few tanks, then add it again.

I try to remember to have a bottle with me, so I add it in before I add fuel, as it logically will mix better that way, but I've added it when I get home, or sometimes before I go.

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nope. 233,xxx miles and going strong. I use it because it was recommended by someone I trust years ago. Like I posted, It does seem to blow a bit more soot out after it works into the fuel system. A bit more soot and such for about a quarter to half the tank I treat. Calms down/goes back to normal after that. I then usually go a few tanks, then add it again.

I try to remember to have a bottle with me, so I add it in before I add fuel, as it logically will mix better that way, but I've added it when I get home, or sometimes before I go.
The 5.9L Cummins is bullet proof, I understand what your saying about blowing black smoke from your 2006 5.9L Cummins, your truck does not have all the emissions control like my 2020 Rebel 3L Ecodiesel, I sincerely doubt I would ever see black smoke coming from my exhausts.

raj

Reaction score
I have used Power Service Diesel Klean in my motorhome withe the Cummins 8.3 since it was new in 2012. After 127,00 miles I have had no issues. I use it in my Ecodiesel also. 27,500 miles and no fuel related issues eithe.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've used Power Service in several diesels. Grey or white, depending on the temp. About 1 1/2 million total diesel miles. All good.

For my EcoDiesel, I'm using Amsoil. Why change? Well, I'm curious. I'm -still- using the Power Service in my TDi, but my truck gets a 50/50 mix of the Amsoil cetane boost/clean/lubricator products.

I add it to my fuel tank after I get home from filling up.

Don't sweat when to toss in the additive.
Every modern diesel and every modern gasser "overfuels" the fuel rail, whether boost pump or HPFP. That extra fuel goes back into the fuel tank. There's always a flow from tank-to-engine-to-tank when running. That'll mix the additive just fine within just a few minutes of turning on the engine.

And, sometimes I add extra additive, sometimes (rarely) I'll run a tank or three with none, if I'm on a long road trip, or I get caught out.

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have added the Power Service to every fuel tank during a 2,000 km trip towing my 8x16 enclosed trailer, I bought a CNC router machine it has 49”X50” table cutting size, I did 19.5 mpg on the way down with a slight tail wind, mostly in 8th gear, 17 mpg on the way back, 7th gear for a good part of the trip, it was cold, snowy and with a headwind. I don’t know if the Power Service helped. My last long trip was 10,000km towing a small 14 1/2 foot travel trailer and got 20 mpg but I was not using the Power Service additives, I will be leaving soon with the same travel trailer for a long trip and will be adding the Power Service, I will post the results when I get back.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I ran PS in my 04.5 5.9L cummins for 16 years.

It's endorsed by Cummins.

PS white = winter
PS silver = summer

Not much more needs to be said.

Currently using XPD but when it's gone I may switch to EDT. That said, since my potential glitterbomb CP4.2 pump was replaced by a tried and true CP3.3 I'm not too concerned about any of it other than fuel gelling in the winter.

Reactions: c3k

Users who are viewing this thread