5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Diesel Additive

Uga40

Reaction score
I have a 2020 ED with 3k miles. Should I be using an additive to the diesel when filling up? If so, what brand?

Daverous

Reaction score
I use hotshot edt. Modern diesel has very little in the way of lubrication, among other faults, and it gives me some piece of mind. I don't have years of experience with it like some do, but it seems to come out on top in many people's book. The diesel mechanics at work also recommended it and I trust my guys. Before this I used diesel kleen. I like the measuring system on edt more for sure. Not a bad price either. I grabbed a case on sale with free shipping for under 100 bucks.

jimchi

Reaction score
From the owner's manual, diesel fuel requirements section:
Commercially available fuel additives are not necessary for the proper operation of your diesel engine.

Biodiesel specific:
Biodiesel fuel may gel or solidify at low ambient temperatures, which may pose problems for both storage and operation. Precautions can be necessary at low ambient temperatures, such as storing the fuel in a heated building or a heated storage tank, or using cold temperature additives.

Remember that the motor is engineered for the type of diesel you'll be filling it up with. In my opinion any additives are mostly snake oil (with the exception of what's outlined above), but then again I'm not a mechanical engineer and your results may vary.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I believe that the owner's manual language is there because they want to make these 1/2 ton trucks as convenient and easy as possible for the consumers who shop them, and the lower the maintenance the better it makes the product sound.

However, any diesel with a Bosch CP4 injection pump can use all the help you can give it. And since lubricity is generally the thing that can be the difference between a CP4 surviving or grenading and resulting in a $10k repair bill, I personally think using an additive is a good idea.

I use Hot Shot's EDT in mine because in testing that I saw on YouTube, it destroyed every other brand.

alamgirian6329

Reaction score
Another vote for EDT.

Now 2oz is the performance dose - having a 33 gallon tank, its somewhat hard to do exact math. So I have been using 4 oz for 33 gallon tank. 4 oz is performance dose for about 50 gallons of fuel - and I usually refill diesel when I have quarter tank left.

So my leftover 1/4 tank is treated fuel - and then I add 4 oz EDT to about 25 gallon fuel - I changed my first Fuel Filter myself at 15K miles, and there was about a cup of water in the fuel filter. I guess the EDT is doing its job !

I emailed EDT, and they said that 4oz at fill-ups should NOT harm/hurt the engine - I read online that it can clog the filters, but the manufacturer said it wont harm the motor and that its helping separate the water BEFORE it gets to my engine - which is true, because water in engine would be bad !

Open to hear thoughts/criticism - yes I am using more than recommended treatment, the cost is not an issue to me, so even if I am "wasting" extra, thats fine by me. I am only interested in knowing if it is harmful in any way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online