5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

did anyone "Test Drive"your truck before "Purchase"?

Goatmann

Ram Guru
Reaction score
i test drove mine as well. not a repair like Danielle, i went in for an oil change for my Eco Diesel, left with my DT Laramie.

JohnUSA

Reaction score
I didnt test drive my rebel before purchase. I put down 500 to lock it in my name and picked it up. Its been a good decision thus far. I understand the thought process on test driving before purchase but you could have problems after only 1000 miles so I don't think a test is really that big of a deal.

Back in 2007 when the economy was cracking a Ford Dealer was offering a free fill up if you test drove a vehicle. I had time to kill so I went and test drove premium mustang. I was gone for maybe 15 minutes and came back. The salesman asked me if I wanted to take it for the weekend. I said sure. Hell I ended up buying the **** thing. I still have it. Ive done all kinds of work to it. It puts down 550 at the wheel and is a fun weekend car. I have ran 10.9 in the 1/4.
I agree, you could have problems down the road, no way to avoid that. I don't want to take ownership of a squeaky ride, or noisy ride, or mechanical issues straight out of the box. I have other things to do than buy a car with problems, and then go back and forth to the dealer to resolve. And, they don't put their top mechanics on warranty issues. Top mechanics are the "money makers", not going to do menial warranty repairs unless the junior mechanic just can't get it done. That also means a new guy fumbling around with my body parts and panels, and can you be sure they get put back together correctly?

DraKhen99

Reaction score
I test drive every vehicle I buy, sometimes multiple times. I took a used 2004 Mustang GT Convertible home to test the convertible top, to my mechanic to give it a once-over, and then on the highway before going back to the dealer. LOL, it gave me so many problems over the next 2.5 years - $1500 warranty paid out over $6000!

I test drove a 2019 Limited back in December, but it had the regular 5.7 in it, and I wanted to try the eTorque out. Last week I took my truck out twice before purchasing - the first test drive was to go home and show the wife (she liked it) and the second one was the next day when I bought it, we went out to lunch in it and then a quick highway jaunt.

My 2015 F-150 that I just traded in, I took it on a test drive and tried to put a deposit on it so I could think on it for a day or two, but the dealer only took non-refundable deposits... I said NOPE and started to walk. The sales guy freaked out and said, "Sir, we can't sell a truck we physically don't have. Why don't we put a dealer tag on it and send you home overnight?" I bought that truck the next day.

My wife bought her 2015 Escape without a test drive, IIRC. She had driven another identically-equipped one (wrong color) and then the dealer flat-bedded hers to our location for her to buy.

-John

Users who are viewing this thread