5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Diablo T2 PCM swap or kit?

M3forged

Reaction score
Hello, new to site and I'm learning quite a bit. I'm new to all things mod and I haven't come across an answer to my question in the threads yet so here it goes...

What are the benefits to keeping the OEM PCM instead of doing the swap? I just purchased my 21 Rebel and bought the warranty so I'm not going to be dealing with factory warranty restrictions as far as I understand it. I should be able to take it to my guy who won't care about mods. Should I keep it to reinstall it in the event I trade in the truck? Should I keep it in case there's an issue with the unlocked one? Is there anything I'm not considering?

Thanks, your input is greatly appreciated!

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hello, new to site and I'm learning quite a bit. I'm new to all things mod and I haven't come across an answer to my question in the threads yet so here it goes...

What are the benefits to keeping the OEM PCM instead of doing the swap? I just purchased my 21 Rebel and bought the warranty so I'm not going to be dealing with factory warranty restrictions as far as I understand it. I should be able to take it to my guy who won't care about mods. Should I keep it to reinstall it in the event I trade in the truck? Should I keep it in case there's an issue with the unlocked one? Is there anything I'm not considering?

Thanks, your input is greatly appreciated!
If you don't mind the extra cost, it's never a bad idea to have a spare in hand. But if you are missing the truck enough to need a custom tunes the stock PCM won't do you much good.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Swap is cheaper.
And if you already own a tuner you you need to buy the entire PCM yourself which is expensive.
I just sent mine to them for an unlock.

M3forged

Reaction score
No tuner yet, yeah it's $450 cheaper to do the swap, that's why I started this deep dive. I'm thinking I'd rather have the extra and not need it vs needing it one day and not having it. I figured you experienced guys would know if it's worth holding onto.

edgarrian

Reaction score
Just know the canned tunes won't give you much but when you get a guy that knows how to tune you will be better off. As far as the warranty is concerned. No warranty can be denied just bc you have aftermarket parts. Just bc you went through a third party doesn't mean they will say warranty a blown motor with a tune on it. They would have to prove the tune caused the catastrophic damage. These situations are a rarity but do happen. Some fight it. Some dont. For the most you should be fine.

I bought a Mustang 2007 GT new. I modified as soon as I got it. I didnt worry about warranty issues. I just went through a reputable tuner. Its far from Stock. Nothing on it anymore is really stock and I never kept any of the OEM parts. I sold them. To each his own when it comes to this. My advice is go through a reputable tuner.

The only thing I've done to my 2019 rebel was I have installed side steps and I installed the pedal commander. At first I thought it was a gimmick but I research it. Then purchased it. Surprisingly it does have a noticeable effect. I may get electric side steps here in a few but thats it for modding my truck

M3forged

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I talked to Diablo directly today, the guy said the usual reason people keep the stock PCM is because the one they send in the swap program is not brand new. He went on to assure me the swapped PCM's they send are extensively tested to ensure they don't have any issues.

He also said the tuned PCM will have a backup of the stock settings if I wanted to revert back for dealership repairs. Like I said there's both sides to every coin but for $450 less I'm just going to do the swap.

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just curious, are you going custom tuned? or using the canned tunes?

M3forged

Reaction score
Canned at first until I get in contact with someone reputable. Seems alot of guys use J. Greene? Not sure if that's correct, will have to find his contact info. I figured I'd do the exhaust first though so he has the current data logs.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Canned at first until I get in contact with someone reputable. Seems alot of guys use J. Greene? Not sure if that's correct, will have to find his contact info. I figured I'd do the exhaust first though so he has the current data logs.
Jay Greene couldn't even get my truck to start for the first 10 tunes.
Some of his tunes also didn't allow my truck to shift out of some gears and would rev limit driving normal at 50mph
I would avoid him like the plague.

I have heard great things about Diablotoona

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There is a guy that just posted great things about J Greene, so guess continue your research. I know many have used J Green in the 4th Gen community with no issues.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
There is a guy that just posted great things about J Greene, so guess continue your research. I know many have used J Green in the 4th Gen community with no issues.
From what I read was he used to be good until "he got busy". There's threads with people that are out thousands of dollars due to bad tunes YMMV but I trust canned tunes over him.

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
From what I read was he used to be good until "he got busy". There's threads with people that are out thousands of dollars due to bad tunes YMMV but I trust canned tunes over him.
Everyone has their own opinion. Like I said someone just recently posted on here how great he was to work with and the tunes.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Everyone has their own opinion. Like I said someone just recently posted on here how great he was to work with and the tunes.
Yes everyone has their own opinion. I was stating fact not opinion.
I could post my entire email chain with him here, I'm sure he would love it (joking about him loving it)
Here's another thread about someone who got tunes from him My Jay Greene Cam job is.. uggh, done

But as always do your research for everything and don't trust 1 or 2 people on the internet for anything for yourself

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yes everyone has their own opinion. I was stating fact not opinion.
I could post my entire email chain with him here, I'm sure he would love it (joking about him loving it)
Here's another thread about someone who got tunes from him My Jay Greene Cam job is.. uggh, done

But as always do your research for everything and don't trust 1 or 2 people on the internet for anything for yourself
Anecdotal evidence to support your issues doesn't necessarily mean everyone will have the same results. As mentioned, another member recently posted how good of an experience they had. Your one bad experience isn't more relevant than another person's good experience. They may cancel each other out, but one does not weigh more than the other when it comes to quality of service and results.

I'm not advocating for him, or against him, as so have no first hand experience. But for every good, or bad, experience with a specific tuner, I can find ateast one experience to contradict either the good or bad.

Users who are viewing this thread