5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Desparate need of help, 2019 Rebel 50 000 km won't start

ImaRebel

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm desperate for help and hoping someone here will have an idea of what I could try.

Yesterday I went to go to the store and the doors wouldn't unlock (I tried both key fobs). So I used the key. Everything was normal until I tried to start it. No power, no sound telling me it's trying to start, just a whole lot of nothing.

I thought maybe it's the battery so I charged it over night (nothing), a neighbor tried boosting it with his pickup but it still wouldn't start.

Eventually, the brake light in the dash came on and the message: Autopark engaged, shift to P then shift to gear showed up. Since I couldn't release the brake, I pulled on the red release cord. Nothing happened, the message didn't go away. I still tried to start the truck but nothing. I decided to leave it alone for a while.

When I came back, that message was now gone and the regular press brake to start message showed up... Again, nothing.

I called to have it towed but the dealership is closed and they don't have parking for towed cars so I have to wait until it opens to call back back.

I tried everything I could think of or saw online (fuses, starting it in neutral things like that) and nothing worked. I'm out of town right now (was supposed to head back today) and there are no mechanics around here (I'm at a cottage in the woods). Does anyone have any ideas? A quick temporary fix?

Thank you in advance

Edit in case someone else ends up looking up for a similar situation.

We finally got the truck started after 36 hours and we drove home. When we got there, it wouldn't turn off. After what seemed to be an eternity, we managed to stop it but of course, it wouldn't turn back on so off to the dealership on a tow truck.

They called a few days later to tell us it was the battery... We were very sceptical and didn't really believe but, we aren't the mechanics. We took it home after having issues starting it at the dealership (we were told both keys had de-programmed themsleves....).
The next day, we were driving and it just turned off, in a roundabout with a city bus coming right behind us. We managed to get out of the way. Then it started again, wouldn't start, wouldn't stop over and over. We called FCA and opened a case so we would have records (extended warranty). They sent us back to the dealership. They were not able to reproduce the events but they said "they found a fault in the ignition data". The dealership got error code: B1A7D-2A: start button stuck. So they replaced the kin switch. Fingers crossed it solved the problem.

Last edited:

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm desperate for help and hoping someone here will have an idea of what I could try.

Yesterday I went to go to the store and the doors wouldn't unlock (I tried both key fobs). So I used the key. Everything was normal until I tried to start it. No power, no sound telling me it's trying to start, just a whole lot of nothing.

I thought maybe it's the battery so I charged it over night (nothing), a neighbor tried boosting it with his pickup but it still wouldn't start.

Eventually, the brake light in the dash came on and the message: Autopark engaged, shift to P then shift to gear showed up. Since I couldn't release the brake, I pulled on the red release cord. Nothing happened, the message didn't go away. I still tried to start the truck but nothing. I decided to leave it alone for a while.

When I came back, that message was now gone and the regular press brake to start message showed up... Again, nothing.

I called to have it towed but the dealership is closed and they don't have parking for towed cars so I have to wait until it opens to call back back.

I tried everything I could think of or saw online (fuses, starting it in neutral things like that) and nothing worked. I'm out of town right now (was supposed to head back today) and there are no mechanics around here (I'm at a cottage in the woods). Does anyone have any ideas? A quick temporary fix?

Thank you in advance
go buy a new battery and you should be good to go.

ImaRebel

Reaction score
go buy a new battery and you should be good to go.
Thank you for such a fast reply. I was under the impression that if it was a dead battery, the boost or charging would have helped... I'm assuming it's not always the case? I've had an 05, 10, 15 and 2019 Ram and never had any issues where a boost or charging the battery didn't give it enough "juice" to start.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
Thank you for such a fast reply. I was under the impression that if it was a dead battery, the boost or charging would have helped... I'm assuming it's not always the case? I've had an 05, 10, 15 and 2019 Ram and never had any issues where a boost or charging the battery didn't give it enough "juice" to start.
there has been a dozen posts here that stated the same thing you are experiencing and did the same thing.

once they replaced the battery, they were good to go.

these factory batteries are just not lasting

ImaRebel

Reaction score
there has been a dozen posts here that stated the same thing you are experiencing and did the same thing.

once they replaced the battery, they were good to go.

these factory batteries are just not lasting
Thanks again :). Its the other posts with similar issues (like this one:2019 Ram Completely Dead (Possible Battery Issue) or this one Won’t start) where the battery may or may not have been the culprit. I'm in the woods with no taxi, uber or anything to go buy anything so was hoping it was something simple (a wire something).

billpierce

Reaction score
Thanks again :). Its the other posts with similar issues (like this one:2019 Ram Completely Dead (Possible Battery Issue) or this one Won’t start) where the battery may or may not have been the culprit. I'm in the woods with no taxi, uber or anything to go buy anything so was hoping it was something simple (a wire something).
I have a 2019 ram 1500 and my issue was the rfh module got wet because of the third brake light on top of the cab leaking. Once I figure this out I was able to dry it out by removing the brake light and letting it air in there I also sealed it with silicone once it was dry. I was able to start the vehicle but the battery had been drained by this issue with that module. Jumpstarted drove the truck for a while and everything is fine now.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Thank you in advance

Edit in case someone else ends up looking up for a similar situation.

We finally got the truck started after 36 hours and we drove home. When we got there, it wouldn't turn off. After what seemed to be an eternity, we managed to stop it but of course, it wouldn't turn back on so off to the dealership on a tow truck.

They called a few days later to tell us it was the battery... We were very sceptical and didn't really believe but, we aren't the mechanics. We took it home after having issues starting it at the dealership (we were told both keys had de-programmed themsleves....).
The next day, we were driving and it just turned off, in a roundabout with a city bus coming right behind us. We managed to get out of the way. Then it started again, wouldn't start, wouldn't stop over and over. We called FCA and opened a case so we would have records (extended warranty). They sent us back to the dealership. They were not able to reproduce the events but they said "they found a fault in the ignition data". The dealership got error code: B1A7D-2A: start button stuck. So they replaced the kin switch. Fingers crossed it solved the problem.
Definitely a bad battery. If it had a bad cell or two, charging won't work, and jump starting, depending on quality of cables used, and vehicle used, may not give enough amperage to overcome the bad cells in battery.

Users who are viewing this thread