5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Decent clip on towing mirrors?

RichCNY

Reaction score
I haven't actually towed with them yet but I did test fit them and the vehicle specific ones work/look nice.

The title on the amazon product is different but the product and carrying bag are exactly the same as the ksource page.

Cross88

Reaction score
I haven't actually towed with them yet but I did test fit them and the vehicle specific ones work/look nice.

The title on the amazon product is different but the product and carrying bag are exactly the same as the ksource page.

I second these. Purchased and test fit only. Fit and finish are great. I’ll be towing with them next weekend and can report on visibility/performance.

Helmetface

Reaction score

Have you electronically retracted the mirrors with these caps in place? The stock mirrors get very close, so that's where my concern lies

Otherwise, these actually look fantastic.

JiffyLueb

Reaction score
Have you electronically retracted the mirrors with these caps in place? The stock mirrors get very close, so that's where my concern lies

Otherwise, these actually look fantastic.
They retract with no problems. My major complaint is the instability of the extended mirrors themselves. Driver side ends up pointing straight up and the passenger side points straight down after a mile or two of driving, making them useless.

Helmetface

Reaction score
They retract with no problems. My major complaint is the instability of the extended mirrors themselves. Driver side ends up pointing straight up and the passenger side points straight down after a mile or two of driving, making them useless.

Lol well that's not good.

So, the mirrors themselves are overall just too loose?

JiffyLueb

Reaction score
Lol well that's not good.

So, the mirrors themselves are overall just too loose?
Yes. They seem to be stable enough as you adjust them, but as I said, after a few minute of driving, I'll look at one of them and they are completely out of position.

RichCNY

Reaction score
My pair (not sure if this on all similar models) did seem loose at first but there is a set screw inside that pushes against the mirror swivel point that can be adjusted that seems to have solved the issue for me , granted these are small drives so far so I might end up playing with them more later.

Cross88

Reaction score
I just got home from weekend camping trip about 1.5hrs away. I have the aforementioned clip on mirrors, right out the box the driverside was great with no issues. The passenger side needed to be tightened, and after that no issues. Also happy to report my timbren ses bump stop replacements did their job and worked flawlessly. Much better ride, more control, less sway and bounce. 2 thumbs from me on both towing mirrors and timbren ses.

Attachments

• D109FC31-19F3-4F0A-81F2-67B8F15261E3.jpeg
    D109FC31-19F3-4F0A-81F2-67B8F15261E3.jpeg
    132.6 KB · Views: 45
  • F9F6DE5F-C669-4245-AD1E-FAED443CAD9A.jpeg
    F9F6DE5F-C669-4245-AD1E-FAED443CAD9A.jpeg
    63.9 KB · Views: 44
  • 545DB1C8-84AE-4C05-99B4-2789C9FAE411.jpeg
    545DB1C8-84AE-4C05-99B4-2789C9FAE411.jpeg
    106.2 KB · Views: 43

JiffyLueb

Reaction score
I have the aforementioned clip on mirrors, right out the box the driverside was great with no issues. The passenger side needed to be tightened, and after that no issues.
I never noticed the screw behind the mirror assembly...granted I didn't look too hard. But after tightening them up, the tow mirrors worked great.
Also happy to report my timbren ses bump stop replacements did their job and worked flawlessly. Much better ride, more control, less sway and bounce.
I'm interested in this...looks like installation is really easy. Was that the case for you?

Cross88

Reaction score
I never noticed the screw behind the mirror assembly...granted I didn't look too hard. But after tightening them up, the tow mirrors worked great.

I'm interested in this...looks like installation is really easy. Was that the case for you?

it was a stupid easy installation. They have 2 different “models” for different applications. The ones I got are technically for “severe duty”, and only got those and not the ones they recommended because I needed the shorter ones due to my lowering kit. I even had to take off the 1” optional spacer. But I got it right in spec, and installation was a breeze. Using a floor jack I lifted one side at a time, pulled out factory bump stop, put a little soapy water on the timbren then pushed and twisted into place (not all the way seated but enough to hold in place, then put a small piece of 2x4 on the axle pad and lowered the truck. I bounced on the bumper a little to ensure proper seating. Repeat on the other side and done. I have about 3/4-7/8” of clearance with no load. I will say that some big bumps make contact and it’s stiff like a 3/4 ton truck. But overall unladen ride is untouched. I like how they are maintenance free also and don’t have to worry about inflating and deflating. The ride quality with my family of four, 3 dogs and about 7k worth of travel trailer behind us was much better than without. Worth every penny in my opinion.

JiffyLueb

Reaction score
it was a stupid easy installation. They have 2 different “models” for different applications. The ones I got are technically for “severe duty”, and only got those and not the ones they recommended because I needed the shorter ones due to my lowering kit. I even had to take off the 1” optional spacer. But I got it right in spec, and installation was a breeze. Using a floor jack I lifted one side at a time, pulled out factory bump stop, put a little soapy water on the timbren then pushed and twisted into place (not all the way seated but enough to hold in place, then put a small piece of 2x4 on the axle pad and lowered the truck. I bounced on the bumper a little to ensure proper seating. Repeat on the other side and done. I have about 3/4-7/8” of clearance with no load. I will say that some big bumps make contact and it’s stiff like a 3/4 ton truck. But overall unladen ride is untouched. I like how they are maintenance free also and don’t have to worry about inflating and deflating. The ride quality with my family of four, 3 dogs and about 7k worth of travel trailer behind us was much better than without. Worth every penny in my opinion.
Thanks for the info. This is definitely my next purchase. My 6500 lb dry weight TT introduces a little sag. It still pulls easy and the ride isn't awful, but this sounds like it'll eliminate that sag and probably improve the ride a bit too. Thanks again.

Cross88

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. This is definitely my next purchase. My 6500 lb dry weight TT introduces a little sag. It still pulls easy and the ride isn't awful, but this sounds like it'll eliminate that sag and probably improve the ride a bit too. Thanks again.

Not a problem, that’s actually the dry weightof my travel trailer and it definitely helped me out.

Users who are viewing this thread