5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dash speaker upgrade and some other questions.

staffdd

Reaction score
I have read tons of posts on the subject, but the answers I am looking for are burried and all over the place. Firstly; I have the 9 speaker alpine system. For reference only my front driver dash speaker was the only positive polarity 3.5" in the system. I have made them all positive now.

I recently replaced all the stock 3.5"s with JBL GX302s. I hate these things. They are way to shrill and tinny. I have moved fader to the back 3 spaces, and on the eq moved the mids down to -3 and treb to -4 just to listed to it. Has anyone else had this issue? I am trying to figure out how to rectify it. I would try a different speaker brand but that would modify the ohm rating to much. The JBLs are 2.3 ohm and the closest to factory I could find. At this point I was debating throwing a extra 1 ohm resistor on it to calm them down, but I still don't think that would be enough. Maybe try the JL audios?

This brings me to my second issue. I have a musical ear and have had fairly high end standards. Every vehicle I've owned for the last 20+ years has had a system in it. I thought the upgraded one might have been enough, but its falling short.

I see there is a DSP1 that seems to be nice, but it looks to completely remove the factory amp and ANC. Theres also the Pac AMPPro that has less EQ features that allows me to retain factory amp and add my own on top. Are there any other ones out there I am not finding?

At this route, I'm looking to replace all speakers and add a sub. I figure I can probably tap into the factory speaker wiring for everything at the factory amp so I dont have to run a bunch of wires. I'll probably end up choosing one of the Foxacoustics boxes so I can use the bigger subs. https://www.foxacoustics.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=DCC-212-V-19. Anyone ever find an alternative box that can handle larger subs? I ran one of these and a pair of sundown sa-10s in my old ram. 2k w amp on them. Wasn't quite enough for me still...

MrAndrewArnold

Reaction score
Super Crew Boxes suck, and don't fit properly, I bought one, returned it. Don't waste your time on them. Fox makes a fantastic box and fits perfectly, I'm running 2 Skar Audi VD-10 and they sound amazing. I recommend getting the PAC AP4-CH41, it makes installing sub amp a breeze and worth the price.

R

Rob5589

If you have a discerning ear, a stock system with 70 dollar speakers probably isn't going to work for you. Replacing the speakers will make a difference but, it may still not be up to what you are expecting.

staffdd

Reaction score
I think I would have to get some kind of EQ/DSP for after that Pac amppro. 3 bands of EQ doesn't allow for much customization. I'd like the option to tune each speaker individually, which i'm not sure if the rockford is capable. I have to look into that. I am trying to avoid purchasing a 3rds amp just for the 3.5s. I don't think I'll be able to avoid it for tuning purposes.

staffdd

Reaction score
Super Crew Boxes suck, and don't fit properly, I bought one, returned it. Don't waste your time on them. Fox makes a fantastic box and fits perfectly, I'm running 2 Skar Audi VD-10 and they sound amazing. I recommend getting the PAC AP4-CH41, it makes installing sub amp a breeze and worth the price.
I see you chose the shallow mount ones. What box did you use from fox? The front firing one with the storage in the back? Also what are you powering them with?

MrAndrewArnold

Reaction score
I see you chose the shallow mount ones. What box did you use from fox? The front firing one with the storage in the back? Also what are you powering them with?

I did the ported down-firing. It's a perfect fit, plenty of storage behind for straps, etc. I found a decent deal on amazon for Skar Amp, 2 - 10's, and wiring kit for $250.

staffdd

Reaction score
Nice! I just purchased the seat firing box that needs the seat lifted. Also grabbed 2 skar vvx-10s. RP-1500.1D to power them. A RP-150.4 AB to power doors, and a RP-75.4AB for the 3.5's. Not sure where im putting all these amps... Usually a Sundown fan, but Ill give Skar a shot.

Hackmunch

Reaction score
i used fatal pro neo 3" in the dash. i had to trim tabs on the speaker to get the holes to line up. they are 4 ohm but very high sensitivity (louder than the jbl i had in the dash). they sound amazing. on my rta they went to 20khz with easy and sound great. now i am running the rockford drs1 with all after market amps so its easy to dial everything in.

staffdd

Reaction score
Found a great deal for the dr1 on Amazon. 260 for the unit, harness, and extension cable.

It seems the dash speaker harshness is only when playing Xm radio. The system must have a hidden equalization for that. Any other source sounds just fine.

Hackmunch

Reaction score
Found a great deal for the dr1 on Amazon. 260 for the unit, harness, and extension cable.

It seems the dash speaker harshness is only when playing Xm radio. The system must have a hidden equalization for that. Any other source sounds just fine.
xm radio has there own equalization built in to there radio channels. thats to make up for the ****ty highly compressed audio signals.

Users who are viewing this thread