5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dash lights up with battery tender connected

wolf57

Reaction score
I have a 2018 Ram 2500 Diesel. Since I WFH and don't drive my truck very often. I installed the NOCO genius2d last year which seem to be working. This fall added a 2 way plug to this for the block heater. I started to notice that now the dash lights will turn on and off every 30 seconds when this is plugged in. I tried some troubleshooting on this by unplugging everything, dash lights stay off. Plug-in just the battery tender, dash lights on and off every 30 seconds. Brought I new NOCO genisu2d same issue. Plugged in my old dual rate battery charger set to 2 amp, dash lights on and off every 5 seconds. If set the dual rate charger to 6 amp, dash lights stay off.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's weird. I've not seen such a thing, but here's my thinking. If there is AC leakage current from one or both devices, the block heater will be leaking to the engine/frame, while the battery tender will be leaking to the battery, so it's possible the leakage current is passing through the battery charge sensor and being seen as a signal that keeps waking up one of the system modules.

Or you could have an electrical wiring problem that's floating the entire vehicle at 120VAC, that might cause some odd things. :unsure:

A couple things you could try to see if it makes a difference. Connect the battery tender to the ground side of the sensor instead of the battery side (if not already). Or reverse plug polarity on either the heater or the tender. Or reverse plug polarity on the whole thing.

Or make friends with a really good electrician and have him look at it. Suds may be required. 🍺

Users who are viewing this thread