5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

coyote 2" wheel spacers for 6 bolt wheels - shorter studs than OEM

saylor

Reaction score
hi all!

so i bought the coyote 2" 6 bolt pattern wheel spacers.

All this following info is from
Michael Miller
Technical Manager
Revolution Supply
[email protected]
2901 W. MacArthur Blvd. Suite 110/111
Santa Ana, CA 92704
Toll Free: 877.738.9990 ext. 6506 Direct: 657-200-6506

In a previous post, we discussed the hubcentrics and 77.8mm and/or 78.1mm diameter - so I emailed coyote - and they ensured the hub clearance was proper.

Which it was, and is, in fact. Fits nice.

So then I took them to my mechanic shop to get them installed while also doing a tire rotation for me.

We test fit 1 spacer, and they refused to let me do it. There is not enough wheel stud showing thru the wheel.

Here is what we saw in test fitment:

OEM:
20210310_111803.jpg

Coyote Spacer:
20210310_111627.jpg

you can easily see there are way less threads for you to work with

saylor

Reaction score
Here is our entinre email thread / discussion.

Saylor,
We do not offer any Wheel Adapter with different length lugs studs.
Regards,
Michael Miller
Technical Manager
Revolution Supply
[email protected]
Santa Ana, CA 92704

Sir!
Let me know if we can work anything out.
We are comparing BORA and Coyote spacers, and if they arent going to work, I need to note that in our review so people can be advised.
https://5thgenrams.com/community/
Thanks for your help!
- saylor

On 3/11/2021 10:44 AM, saylor wrote:Sir!Thank you for the detailed and informative response. I appreciate the time you took to actually check and provide real data. These rims are the OEM chrome clad 20x9 wheels as found on the new model ram 1500 crew cab 4x4 lone star/big horn edition so they will be quite common.
Taking your info and then researching the topic a bit for myself, I found:
"Open lug nuts are also widely used for racing applications since some rules will require a specific amount of threads protruding past the end of the lug nut. If your rules do not specify a number of threads protruding past the lug nut then we suggest two threads minimum past..."
https://www.speedwaymotors.com/the-toolbox/wheel-lug-nut-size-guide-torque-spec-chart/28890
and last column here in the below table is 'How Many Threads of Engagement'
14 x 1.5 mm85 - 907.5
14 x 1.25 mm85 - 909
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=107&
I don't know that I would be able to satisfy either of those requirement/suggestions - having enough stud length to have 2 thread minimum past the lug nut per speedway, or getting 8 turns/threads of engagement per tirerack.
Honestly, I am 5 days beyond my return thru amazon. I cannot return these thru that channel. My fault I couldn't get to them in a more timely fashion.
I'm hoping me and you can swap out for a model with longer studs. Ill be happy to pay the difference and/or shipping as needed.
I really like your math and understand that it is within 'SEMA' guidelines, but looking at everything overall compared to OEM spec giving almost 2x thread engagement, and I do go offroading a bit in a very remote location - I cannot afford to chance snapping a wheel off I'd be stuck and walking for miles.

This is a big ask - but - I really want to run these spacers :)
can your eng/lab guys actually throw some 2"s onto a new RAM and see what they see? just for grins? When we mocked up 1 wheel at my mechanic shop and we got 4 'no that aint gonna works' real quick as soon as everyone looked at it.
I have a brand new truck and I dont want to break it or kill anyone. Ive seen a loose wheel going down the highway before they bounce really really high :)
Do any of your crew run these now on their own ram?

Let me know what we can work out.
Thanks again for your time and help!
- saylor

On 3/11/2021 9:39 AM, Michael Miller wrote:
Saylor,
Sorry for the delay in response as I wanted to review an actual product from our inventory.

My Engineering Team measured a 2020 RAM 1500 6 Lug and found the lug length to be 39.32mm in actual length and found the Threadless area at the end of the stud to be 3.02mm. In addition, the hub mounting pad thickness is 10mm (this is the area between the bottom of the lug seat and the face of the mounting pad that contacts the hub)

Based on these measurements, 39.32 – 3.02 = 33.3mm of actual thread engagement from the factory. If you now subtract the mounting pad thickness of 10mm, 33.3 – 10 = 23.3mm of exposed threads available.

So for the actual vehicle you will have 23.3mm for actual lug nut engagement to provide for clamping the wheel onto the vehicle however, you also have an additional 3.02mm at the end without threads.

Please note that these calculation are based on my engineering departments data collected and not your actual vehicle.

6550-6550H-E sample adapter, I have measured and found the thread protruding from the surface to be 32.13mm. If I subtract the mounting pad thickness of 10mm, 32.13 – 10 = 22.13mm (1.17mm shorter than the factory measured by my engineering department)

In comparison the overall length of the stud protruding through the wheel is 26.02mm where as the 6550-6550H-E adapter would protrude 22.13mm.

SEMA suggest that required thread engagement to provide the necessary clamping force to attach the wheel to any vehicle is to be 1 times the width of the stud that is approximately 14mm. Based on current measurements and data collected, the 6550-6550H-E will provide just over 1.5 times of thread engagement which exceeds the requirements.

I have reviewed your pictures and based on what I see I agree why your mechanic raised these questions as well.

If you want to review my findings, I would suggest removing a wheel from you vehicle, attaching the Adapter to the wheel and measure the protruding stud length.

If you have any additional questions you are welcome to respond to my e-Mail.

Regards,

Michael Miller
Technical Manager

Revolution Supply
[email protected]
Santa Ana, CA 92704

Sir!
I just got back from my mechanic to get these spacers put on - he sent me back home :)
He didnt like the depth of the stud compared to stock - please see attached pics.
This is a 2020 ram 1500 with the stock chrome rims.
Please advise on how to proceed. my mechanic only installed 1 as a test and we did not proceed with the installation.
Do you have a 2" spacer set with longer studs that we can exchange for?

Thanks for your help!

- saylor

saylor

Reaction score
so at this point, I cannot recommend Coyote Spacers. If anyone else has had a different experience please post.

I, and my mechanic, are not willing to try.

Coyote acknowledges that their wheel studs are shorter than OEM, however they insist it meets minimum spec.

They do not offer a version with longer studs at this time.

I was 5 days past refund day at amazon.

They made no effort to help me out.

Be advised.

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
Question: is the wheel sitting flush? I don't feel like hunting down the previous thread etc. But if the spacer is set for 78.1, it will of course fit easily over 77.8 hub. A 77.8 wheel will not fit over the 78.1 spacer hub. So if the wheel has any wobble, there's your missing length. And I imagine it would be quite a ride until things came apart.

Last edited:

saylor

Reaction score
even if it wasnt flush ( i was on camera - my mechanic was holding the wheel up, so i can only hope it was flush)

the most-inside side still doesnt show enough threads, even if giving it the benefit of tilt.

Users who are viewing this thread