5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Converting Your Rambox Cargo Divider Into a Bed Extender

HydroRebel

Reaction score
A lot of people are aware already that the 5th gen rambox cargo divider no longer functions as a bed extender from the factory. However, for those who are unaware the bed extender function can be added very easily. All you need is:

68054997AA x2
68054997AB x2

I ordered these from a Mopar parts vendor through eBay.

Pop out the plastic caps:

20200829_130324.jpg

Thread in the handle and grommet:

20200829_130953.jpg

Repeat for the other side and voila, you now have a bed extender!

20200829_132602.jpg

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
A lot of people are aware already that the 5th gen rambox cargo divider no longer functions as a bed extender from the factory. However, for those who are unaware the bed extender function can be added very easily. All you need is:

68054997AA x2
68054997AB x2

View attachment 70489

View attachment 70490

View attachment 70491
Thanks for sharing, but have you seen the huge threads that already exist on this subject?

HydroRebel

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing, but have you seen the huge threads that already exist on this subject?

Thank you and yes I did come across the subject in a few threads but found the info buried within them when I personally went to do this mod. I never found a thread specifically dedicated to converting the divider into an extender, please forgive me if there is one (or more). My intent was to have the info to do the conversion right in the beginning of a thread for others interested in performing this mod.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Understood. This was my first search hit, but I did have to go to page 2 for part numbers:

HydroRebel

Reaction score
Aye! Post #27 in that thread was the one I referenced when I bought the parts in August. The info is out there but it's scattered a bit as most of those threads are primarily about the divider no longer being an extender. That blind sided me as well. Luckily it's an easy fix for relatively cheap for those who need a bed extender. Much cheaper than going out and buying an aftermarket extender ;)

CJR28

Reaction score
Just got the parts in today, Rams reasoning for not including them makes zero sense. Its nice to have this feature IMO

HydroRebel

Reaction score
Just got the parts in today, Rams reasoning for not including them makes zero sense. Its nice to have this feature IMO

It sure is nice to have this feature though it's hard to believe these days who to blame. All it takes is a small complaint and once the lawyers get a hold of it, well that's it. I certainly don't think it impedes the taillights no more than any other bed extender but once a complaint is brought forward the liability is all on FCA. If that is true than it's hard to blame them. All automakers have to deal with a lot of BS from so many organizations. Recall this recall that so much that I pity them sometimes.

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It sure is nice to have this feature though it's hard to believe these days who to blame. All it takes is a small complaint and once the lawyers get a hold of it, well that's it. I certainly don't think it impedes the taillights no more than any other bed extender but once a complaint is brought forward the liability is all on FCA. If that is true than it's hard to blame them. All automakers have to deal with a lot of BS from so many organizations. Recall this recall that so much that I pity them sometimes.
Just to let you know that I got my FAC dealer to pay for the bed extender/divider handles and grommets to fit the extender to the truck, I just told them they forgot to put in on the truck. Look at the sticker that was attached to the bed extender, it is called a bed extender/divider, it’s not only called a bed divider.

Attachments

• 7575DF42-5017-412C-8690-FC6DB4425A34.jpeg
    7575DF42-5017-412C-8690-FC6DB4425A34.jpeg
    103 KB · Views: 32

HydroRebel

Reaction score
Just to let you know that I got my FAC dealer to pay for the bed extender/divider handles and grommets to fit the extender to the truck, I just told them they forgot to put in on the truck. Look at the sticker that was attached to the bed extender, it is called a bed extender/divider, it’s not only called a bed divider.

Good story! Certainly good on your dealer to get you the parts. Hopefully other people that are about to pull the trigger on a rambox equipped truck read your post beforehand so they can get their dealer to throw the parts on before committing to buy.

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You got lucky with a dealer that didn't read the bulletin. The bulletin they sent to deers letting they know they were no longer included and not forgotten and not to submit for warranty reimbursement.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score

68054997AA x2
68054997AB x2

View attachment 70489

View attachment 70490

View attachment 70491
I appreciate your thoroughness in your posting of photos & Mopar part numbers. However, when I copy & paste your PNs above into Mopar search, for the -AA part it says that -AB is the replacement:
2023-06-03_2009-2022_Mopar-Pivot-Joint-Grommet_68054997AB .jpg

2023-06-03_2009-2022_Mopar-Pivot-Joint-Grommet_68054997AB_supercession-info.jpg
Also, elsewhere on that Mopar webpage is states the -AB PN is only for the right side. 2009-2022 Mopar Pivot Joint Grommet 68054997AB | Mopar Estores
By chance do you have any insight as to whether ordering four of the 68054997AB will allow me to use my divider as a bed extender?
UPDATE: Never mind, I'm ordering this kit from Amazon. It's not genuine Mopar, but in 58 ratings it has 5/5 stars:

Last edited:

PrdCdn

Reaction score

68054997AA x2
68054997AB x2

View attachment 70489

View attachment 70490

View attachment 70491
HA !!! thats exactly what I did. I understand why they deleted but I do not think it was smart.

HydroRebel

Reaction score
I appreciate your thoroughness in your posting of photos & Mopar part numbers. However, when I copy & paste your PNs above into Mopar search, for the -AA part it says that -AB is the replacement:
View attachment 160098

View attachment 160101
Also, elsewhere on that Mopar webpage is states the -AB PN is only for the right side. 2009-2022 Mopar Pivot Joint Grommet 68054997AB | Mopar Estores
By chance do you have any insight as to whether ordering four of the 68054997AB will allow me to use my divider as a bed extender?
UPDATE: Never mind, I'm ordering this kit from Amazon. It's not genuine Mopar, but in 58 ratings it has 5/5 stars:
Honestly, no idea why the Mopar site is showing that. I did check your Amazon link and that kit should do the exact same thing and for a little cheaper!

Mpgrimm2

Reaction score
View attachment 160098

View attachment 160101
Fyi... The last 2 letters after the first 8 numbers generally don't matter with mopar PNs... AA , AB, AD, AE, etc

** Did the same to my truck via Amazon knockoff parts. Works great when I need to use it. **

Users who are viewing this thread