5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Compass Disappeared (Pretty Sure Its Fixed!)

TimG

Reaction score
Howdy folks! Been a while since I posted because I was in the middle of moving to Maryland. Anyway, on my drive from Montana, my compass disappeared. It is now just a circle with "--" in the middle of it, and if you try to look for the app in the uconnect it isn't there. I'm sitting in a dealership now trying to figure it out, but they aren't getting anywhere. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Try changing the compass zone from the map? Drive around in circles 3-4 times to see if it will recalibrate?

TimG

Reaction score
Edwards, what map? I dont have nav, just the normal 8.4. I tried driving in circles and in figure 8s for a while over the last 3 weeks or so with no luck. It's almost as if the uconnect dropped the app.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Edwards, what map? I dont have nav, just the normal 8.4. I tried driving in circles and in figure 8s for a while over the last 3 weeks or so with no luck. It's almost as if the uconnect dropped the app.

In the manual, there is a map that shows the compass magnetic zones. You then pick the correct one so that N=N where you are. You may need to do that for the move, but it might also wake it up again.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Here's the map from the manual:
1544824661684.png

And then you should have compass settings in the setup menu somewhere:
1544824726322.png

TimG

Reaction score
Well, no dice on that either. We are now able to get the compass to show a direction about 10% of the time, but it won't stay functional more than a few minutes. Also, there is no option to calibrate or adjust settings for it anywhere. We put in a call to the uconnect folks, but they were about as helpful bag of rusty hammers. So, as I find out more about getting this fixed, I'll post it up.

rudyyoko

Reaction score
Have you tried disconnecting the battery and letting it sit for about half hour before you reconnect the battery? It cleared my compass and carplay location issues. My iphone location was always wrong. After the battery disconnect, everything has been working great.

TimG

Reaction score
Have you tried disconnecting the battery and letting it sit for about half hour before you reconnect the battery? It cleared my compass and carplay location issues. My iphone location was always wrong. After the battery disconnect, everything has been working great.
I have not tried this (not sure if the dealer did or not). I will give it a shot this evening. Sometimes the simplest fix is the best!

TimG

Reaction score
Well, that didn't work either. On a different subject, does anyone else find it impossible to get into "dealer mode"? When I hold the lower corner icons, nothing happens except it wanting to change the location of the icons. Am I just doing it wrong?

TimG

Reaction score
So I saw a connection process for phones on another thread so I figured "what the hell" and decided to try the process. And...…. It seems to have fixed things!!!!

It completely reloaded the android auto app to my phone. Then it ran through the get-started portion of the setup on the 8.4. When maps opened on the big screen, it showed my "Home" as still in Montana (I live in MD now, and already had this updated on the google maps app on the phone). So, once I cleared that out of memory, and drove around for about 30 mins, my location seems to be accurate and the compass has been visible (and accurate) after turning the truck off and back on multiple times.

Now, why this seems to have worked, I have no idea. Nor do I know why the engineers from Uconnect that Ive been working with for the last month never thought to try this. Im going to enjoy my call with them tomorrow (our regularly scheduled test time)

Guess it just goes to show that there really is no such thing as a bad idea when it comes to cause/effect troubleshooting.

Smearieryeti

Reaction score
So I saw a connection process for phones on another thread so I figured "what the hell" and decided to try the process. And...…. It seems to have fixed things!!!!

It completely reloaded the android auto app to my phone. Then it ran through the get-started portion of the setup on the 8.4. When maps opened on the big screen, it showed my "Home" as still in Montana (I live in MD now, and already had this updated on the google maps app on the phone). So, once I cleared that out of memory, and drove around for about 30 mins, my location seems to be accurate and the compass has been visible (and accurate) after turning the truck off and back on multiple times.

Now, why this seems to have worked, I have no idea. Nor do I know why the engineers from Uconnect that Ive been working with for the last month never thought to try this. Im going to enjoy my call with them tomorrow (our regularly scheduled test time)

Guess it just goes to show that there really is no such thing as a bad idea when it comes to cause/effect troubleshooting.

What process? I have this problem in my rebel, AndroidAuto and Maps thing I'm in Sterling, Michigan at all times and the compass never works. Took it in to the dealership but they were not following my complaint (thought I was talking about the Nav).

Users who are viewing this thread