5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Common issues with 2.5-3 inch level

Adjutant

Reaction score
Hey all,
Newbie question here. I want to do either Bilsteins set to 2.6front/1.0rear, or Belltech 3in strut, eibach springs in rear.
Ive only seen/read one report of some guy killing his front diff with "excessive angles". However, he had a 2012, so age was probably a large factor in the diff going.

Anyway, are there any common mechanical problems with a shock/strut level? Ive still got warranty on my truck (about 57K more miles of coverage). I dont mind paying for little "ticky tack" issues, but are there any serious/catastrophic issues you have heard or experience with a level

Ill be doing aftermarket UCAs

mplaramie

Reaction score
Try not to over think it (i did). My 23 non ORP had the Icon Stage 2 Kit and got 3" in front and 1 1/2" rear lift. Drove great and no issues. Since you already have the front end links (great choice), you may want to look at the rear end links and go with something like Core 4x4 +1" rear end links. From there you should be good front to back.

TalleyHo

Reaction score
Following. I'm considering the Eibach 2.0 (not R) system for when I finally burn thru these stock tires. Ultimately this pavement princess will never see any serious off road other than some dirt roads to the barn, but I miss the vis I had in my previous vehicle. At least my road rage is justified when I can see the AH in front of me on their phone.

H2OMAN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
30k and no issues. Had 140K on my 2012 with no issues. Just buy proven components instead of cheap one's and you'll be fine. I can't understand how people pay 60K for a truck and then cheap out on parts. It makes no sense.

Adjutant

Reaction score
30k and no issues. Had 140K on my 2012 with no issues. Just buy proven components instead of cheap one's and you'll be fine. I can't understand how people pay 60K for a truck and then cheap out on parts. It makes no sense.
Thanks man! I just have visions of something drive train related happening, and getting screwed on my warranty.
I know Im being neurotic. Something about the dealership finding any excuse not to honor a warranty.

Basically, you confirmed that a "quality" level is a pretty neutral change to our trucks. Now, if I was jacking it 6inches, then yes, Id expect more issues

H2OMAN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks man! I just have visions of something drive train related happening, and getting screwed on my warranty.
I know Im being neurotic. Something about the dealership finding any excuse not to honor a warranty.

Basically, you confirmed that a "quality" level is a pretty neutral change to our trucks. Now, if I was jacking it 6inches, then yes, Id expect more issues
Millions of us have done it. Over time stuff wears out modified or not. Do what you want to do. Just do it with quality parts from proven companies.

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
only time i see and hear about mechanical problems with lift kits are people cheaping out and buy spacers.
You'll be fine with Bilsteins unless you do high speed offroad and send your truck in the air.

We've done tons of trucks and SUVs with all kinds of suspension lifts (Bilsteins, Icon, Fox, King, Ironman 4x4 Foam Cell Pros, Falcons, RC, etc) across different platforms (Toyotas, Lexus, Jeep, Ram) and no diff or driveline problems. Only ones we have problems are Icons and Falcons due to shock leaking within ~6 months and shock sheering off. RC just ride like crap.

Users who are viewing this thread