5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Coating/sealant used on door panel plastic?

Ratchet

Reaction score
Very random question:

Does anyone know how or what is used to seal the cosmetic plastic on interior door panels? Reason asking, I had a windshield replaced recently and apparently it wasn't a smooth job for the glass shop. Seems they got urethane all over everything and the door panels suffered the most. Looks like they wiped them down with acetone which stripped the coating from the plastic at the upper most portion of the door panel. Rather than having to deal with the place that caused the carnage, I'd just rather recoat them myself. Anyone have any ideas what is used or what would work best?

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Very random question:

Does anyone know how or what is used to seal the cosmetic plastic on interior door panels? Reason asking, I had a windshield replaced recently and apparently it wasn't a smooth job for the glass shop. Seems they got urethane all over everything and the door panels suffered the most. Looks like they wiped them down with acetone which stripped the coating from the plastic at the upper most portion of the door panel. Rather than having to deal with the place that caused the carnage, I'd just rather recoat them myself. Anyone have any ideas what is used or what would work best?
Did you use insurance at all for the windshield?

Ratchet

Reaction score
I did, but due to my schedule, it's easier for me to respray them.

MannyN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The glass shop's insurance should pay for a new door panel. Have them order one according to VIN, pick it up and install yourself or have them doing it, probably not.

Ratchet

Reaction score
It's not worth replacing the door panels nor having to deal with insurance months later. I'm just now getting around to having some free time back and want to get them sealed before the good ol NC summer sun shows up. I just need to reseal the top most portion (where you would rest your arm if the window is down) and I'd prefer to do it myself since it was a major ordeal with the place that did the glass replacement. My panels are somewhat custom as I modified them for some audio upgrades.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Try denatured alcohol. Acetone will probably chew it up. Denatured is much safer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ratchet

Reaction score
Try denatured alcohol. Acetone will probably chew it up. Denatured is much safer.

Maybe there is a misunderstanding. I'm wanting to reseal the plastic, not clean/strip it. It's clean currently. Judging by the lack of shine and the abrasive feel of it, I'm suspecting acetone was used as a quick cleanup.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Oppps lol ignore that recommendation

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
What makes you think the plastic is sealed? I wouldn't expect any sealant was used on the plastic surfaces. I suspect the acetone etched the plastic, and the only way to get it to look right is to replace the panel.

Ratchet

Reaction score
What makes you think the plastic is sealed? I wouldn't expect any sealant was used on the plastic surfaces. I suspect the acetone etched the plastic, and the only way to get it to look right is to replace the panel.
It's just a wild guess. I'm an electrical/powertrain guy. I'd suspect it would have some sort of UV protection applied to it. Maybe it's just the way the plastic is molded that makes it shiny and smooth to the touch compared to what I'm seeing now. I am honestly not sure. I've revived plastic trim in the past with a heat gun, but I think this might not be the case here. Just putting out some feelers before I go for the physical trial and potential error.

Ratchet

Reaction score
Got it sorted out. Plastic was clean, but appeared very dry, very dull, and was extremely rough to the touch compared to the rest of the wonderful plastic in the truck. Broke out the heat gun and 10 minutes later, looks like brand new.

Users who are viewing this thread