5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CO Wheeling with the '20 BH CC 6'4" ORP Locker - Cinnamon Pass, Corkscrew Gulch, Imogene Pass

MiiisterAnderson

Reaction score
We went wheeling with a group of friends through NM and CO last week in the Ram (BH CC 6'4" ORP Locker Laramie wheels + Vice hidden winch. It did well and there were two occurrences that slowed us down, but neither were the trucks issue. The first was after a particularly muddy river crossing in NM where mud dried on the inside of the wheel. When we returned to the highway the imbalance was bad enough that we couldn't get above 60 mph without a severe shimmy and we stopped to scrape the mud out of the wheels. The second issue came after a day of trail climbing on Cinnamon Pass. A post-ride inspection showed that we'd cut a sidewall pretty deep on the front passenger tire. We were 50 miles from any reputable tire shop and no one had any of the Falken Wildpeaks in 275/55/20 in stock anyway much less anything comparable in the right size. With a well equipped group and a good spare, we opted to wheel on it through Imogene Pass the following day. We picked our lines carefully and while it was a bit dicey just short of the summit, we made it through unscathed. We swapped in the spare for the drive home and arrived without issue.

We spent the majority of the trip in 4 Low and the truck did well. It surprised and even impressed the Toyota and Raptor guys that were with us. While the trails are really "Jeep" trails and aren't designed for a full size truck, we didn't have any issues until it came to some of the tight switch backs. The worst of it was that we had to make two or three point turns. We used the locker twice, the first to climb up a fairly steep rock face on Imogene, and the second was further up on a steep and loose rock section near the top. In retrospect, I don't think 4 Low would have had any issues, but the 'Yota guys all locked in and recommended the same, so I didn't debate it. We didn't get stuck anywhere and unfortunately (fortunately?!) didn't get to use the @VICE design hidden winch setup, but at least it got some positive commentary by fellow wheelers.

We traded off using Hill Descent Control with running the transmission manually in 1st or 2nd gear. On long descents we got the scent of heated brakes, not to the point of failure, but certainly from ones that were working hard. Running in 1st gear was fast enough for the stuff we were decending, 2nd gear was too fast to be safely controlled. For sustained hill descending the jury is out for me on HDC. In the end, the truck performed as expected, if not better. Picking the right line was the key to success. Some photos from the trek:

jb9zGL1.jpg

4s4locj.jpg

xkWyylt.jpg

sWLWzab.jpg

vEy8jAO.jpg

gHg8w4f.jpg

kcF4lOd.jpg

gNfwpxJ.jpg

Fz9ZIXX.jpg

3SsAXdR.jpg

kHwaVjZ.jpg

Omqpks5.jpg

SteCejM.jpg

j85Kseh.jpg

UJlzrIa.jpg

Last edited:

NordicNevs

Reaction score
Awesome. Looks amazing wow!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cease11

Reaction score
That looks fun! Awesome pics too! Love seeing people use their 4x4 trucks.

BostonBLS

Reaction score
Ouray is my favorite place in the US. I used to live out in Grand Junction spent a lot of time wheeling my FJ while I lived out there. Here are some of my favorite pictures. Wish work didn't take me back to Boston.

IMG_6537.jpg
IMG_6592.jpg
FJSummit2010115a.jpg
FJSummit2010133a.jpg

orange01z28

Reaction score
Awesome! Descents are always the most sketchy part for me. I really need to learn to use the HDC better. I just always stick it in low

Also, any reason why you didn't use your locker much? I just usually leave it on the whole time

MiiisterAnderson

Reaction score
Also, any reason why you didn't use your locker much? I just usually leave it on the whole time

We had lots of switchbacks and it's generally not great practice to turn with lockers engaged. I really wanted to see what the 4wd system would do on it's own as well.

Desert Dawg

Reaction score
Ouray is my favorite place in the US. I used to live out in Grand Junction spent a lot of time wheeling my FJ while I lived out there. Here are some of my favorite pictures. Wish work didn't take me back to Boston.

View attachment 63870
View attachment 63871
View attachment 63868
View attachment 63869

Yeah, I used to live in Ouray myself...great place. I take my wife back up every year for some sightseeing and four wheeling too. Just got back a couple weeks ago and did Ophir but really itching to go do Imogene again. Great write-up and photos...thanks for sharing!

Bobbybob

Reaction score
Man, so happy to hear / see this! Live in NoCO myself and love getting off-road. I removed the front valance and am adding the mopar lift with some bigger wildpeak tires to be able to handle a little more. Looks like even as a stock vehicle, they made it super capable. Thanks for sharing the pics and story!

Users who are viewing this thread