5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Clear coat scratches

ILikeBalloons&Cheese

Reaction score
Hey guys I need some help!

I bought a nice, well what I though was nice microfiber brush to wash the truck with and a fresh bottle of Chemical Guys soap. I washed the truck and noticed that the stupid brush I bough was scratching the clear coat right off the bat. When washing the truck I always decontaminate it first with a gentle rinse and soap cycle to rinse off anything that could potentially scratch the finish before using my usual wash mitts. On this occasion I stopped immediately once I saw the scratches being laid into the clear coat with this new brush. I am beyond upset, yes I know it's a truck, but I want to keep it mint as possible. Is there any ways I can buff these clear coat scratches out by hand or is this going to require a rather expensive paint correction at a shop?

5thGenRebel_AMK

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I use this buffer, along with a "one step polishing pad" from Adam's Polishes. You could get a meguiers polish pad from autozone if you prefer. Then just make sure you get a good polish/light compound, something like meguiers or adams or griots, most of which you can find at autozone or amazon. Should come out pretty easy assuming they are only in the clear coat. if they dont come out, you might need to use a courser compound. then top with a wax/sealant. goodluck!!

5thGenRebel_AMK

Ram Guru
Reaction score
and definitely look into getting a good wash pad. I use an all-wool pad from Adam's polishes. lots of other good ones out there tho.

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
First off, no brushes on your pant. Only use the standard wash mitts. I’m not sure what you used but whatever it was shouldn’t leave swirls. Research some standard paint correction videos on YouTube and learn up on them. Start with the least aggressive lad and polish and move up the chart until you see results you want. Once you get them do the entire area and if you end up compounding you will need to polish afterwards. I’d recommend using a dual action polisher. I got one from amazon for about $70 that worked perfect when I paint corrected my truck prior to ceramic coating it. Best of luck and post up any questions you might have!

Rsorrell2

Reaction score
I would look at Griots garage Or Autogeek as places to get detailing equipment that you might not get at the local auto parts places.

there are also a lot of vids on YouTube to help with scratches, polishes and waxes

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
How deep are the scratches? If they are light, a quality cleaner wax and a microfiber towel will usually get them out with just a little elbow grease, you won't even have to use a machine polisher for it.

ILikeBalloons&Cheese

Reaction score

ILikeBalloons&Cheese

Reaction score
I use this buffer, along with a "one step polishing pad" from Adam's Polishes. You could get a meguiers polish pad from autozone if you prefer. Then just make sure you get a good polish/light compound, something like meguiers or adams or griots, most of which you can find at autozone or amazon. Should come out pretty easy assuming they are only in the clear coat. if they dont come out, you might need to use a courser compound. then top with a wax/sealant. goodluck!!

Adams is about an hour and a half ride from me. I thought about going up there to their actual shop to see what they suggest. I know it will get scratches on it periodically but this is just annoying. I'm also going to lay 3M clear coat on the rocker panels before winter sets in.

5thGenRebel_AMK

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Adams is about an hour and a half ride from me. I thought about going up there to their actual shop to see what they suggest. I know it will get scratches on it periodically but this is just annoying. I'm also going to lay 3M clear coat on the rocker panels before winter sets in.
that's awesome you live so close, id love to visit their shop but im on the east coast. theyre super helpful though, ive talked to them a few times about their products. youll be in good hands!

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
They are light enough to where I cannot hang my fingernail on them. The brush I used wasn't really a brush, but it's a mop type thing on a stick. Looks like this https://www.walmart.com/ip/Microfiber-Wash-Mop-with-48-Extension-Pole/45016324

No worries then, will be easy to remove with a quality cleaner wax. On your next wash, try using Meguiar's cleaner wax first. This is the lightest less invasive way to remove/hide very light scratches. If it meets your results, stop there. If not, move on to slightly stronger methods.

AmericanRebelution

Reaction score
First, No Brushes on paint. Ever. I'm glad some people who have responded are having good luck, but this is an unnecessary risk.

There are many many ways to accomplish paint correction. My truck had some clear coat marring when I bought it, then I ended up with a few more clear coat scratches after last hunting season. This spring, I completed paint correction. Here is what I used:

Griot's Garage G9 Random Orbital Polisher
Griot's Garage BOSS Correction Correcting Cream with Lake Country blue (light polishing) pad
Griot's Garage BOSS Finishing Sealant with Lake Country black (finishing) pad

I was very happy with the results. I was able to work out the light clear coat scratches I had and left a silky smooth, highly reflective surface.

autogeek.net is a great place to find some of this stuff. They offer lots of coupons and sales too. The polisher I mentioned is around $150, but you can use it for maintenance waxing if that is how you plan to maintain your paint. Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread