5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cleaning engine compartment?

orange01z28

Reaction score
I have some mud splatter under the hood. What's the best way to clean it? Can I just spray it down?

5thGenRebel_AMK

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have some mud splatter under the hood. What's the best way to clean it? Can I just spray it down?
you shouldnt have a problem doing that, but i always try to stick to wiping everything down without blasting water. not sure how dirty yours is though if thats even possible haha

AmericanRebelution

Reaction score
This is a constant debate...to spray or not to spray? I've spraying engine bays for years. Just try to be careful to not flood electrical components, alternator, and air intake. A little water is okay. Spray down the engine with an all purpose cleaner or degreaser, wipe as much as you can with a wash mitt or rag, and then I like like to use an old paint brush to agitate tight areas. Rinse, then I blow dry with air compressor or leaf blower.

TheGoogleNinja

Reaction score
I have also been spraying my engine bay for years. That said, we're talking newer cars where most of the electronics are pretty well protected. I wouldn't do that on an older car. Also, I should say, I don't blast with a pressure washer, we're talking a garden hose at most and I do my best to use either a leaf blower or an air hose to get the majority of it out of there afterward.

bwsRam19

Reaction score
You will be fine, just take it to a car wash and soap and rinse, they do this every day at the detail shops. Older fords were notorious for getting water in the plug holes, but thats another story.

JackWaggon

Reaction score
The other day I was replacing my drop in air filter and added a catch can. While I was there I decided to do a quick wipe down. I used a rag and plain old water to get all the crap off and then I used Chemical Guys Silk Shine to spruce it up. Probably a 15min job, but that depends on your soil level of course.

Attachments

• Before.jpg
    Before.jpg
    187.6 KB · Views: 132
  • After.jpg
    After.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 131

Ramguy90

Reaction score
I’ve been wiping down the plastics with a micro fiber cloth and then spraying a tiiiiiiny amount of wd40 on that cloth and going over the plastics and stuff with it. Helps shine it up a bit and keeps it clean a tad bit longer

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I get a bucket, fill with soapy water and use old microfiber towels, rung out of excess water, and wipe everything down. Use small brushes for little nooks and crannys.

I finish off with Lemon Pledge and a dry microfiber towel on all plastics and rubber. Lemon Pledge is an amazing quick detailer and protectant for cars and motorcycles. Mountain Bikers and Motorcyclist have been using it for use as a quick detailer. Works great on clear plastic, lenses, rubber, leather, chrome and painted surfaces. Just make sure to use a microfiber towel with it.

Neil McCauley

Reaction score
I get a bucket, fill with soapy water and use old microfiber towels, rung out of excess water, and wipe everything down. Use small brushes for little nooks and crannys.

I finish off with Lemon Pledge and a dry microfiber towel on all plastics and rubber. Lemon Pledge is an amazing quick detailer and protectant for cars and motorcycles. Mountain Bikers and Motorcyclist have been using it for use as a quick detailer. Works great on clear plastic, lenses, rubber, leather, chrome and painted surfaces. Just make sure to use a microfiber towel with it.

Seems like the way to go. Looked up the composition of Lemon Pledge....a mixture of hydrocarbons but also silicones, which would be good for all the vinyl and plastic in our engine bays now.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Seems like the way to go. Looked up the composition of Lemon Pledge....a mixture of hydrocarbons but also silicones, which would be good for all the vinyl and plastic in our engine bays now.

There are so many positive uses for it, even around the house, I absolutely love the stuff. A few years ago they came out with a line of all-purpose products for that reason, it's essentially the same thing but in a different can so people realize it's not just for wood.

tdager

Reaction score
There are so many positive uses for it, even around the house, I absolutely love the stuff. A few years ago they came out with a line of all-purpose products for that reason, it's essentially the same thing but in a different can so people realize it's not just for wood.
Used to use it on the leading edge of the wings on my plane. Was the best way to have the bugs easily wipe off!

Users who are viewing this thread