5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Choices for subwoofer and audio

Shives

Reaction score
Ok... So I post jacked another and want to start fresh.
2019 Black out 1500 5.7 base audio.
1. Bluetooth sounds so much better then uSB connection... I’m sure others have noticed. I’ve also faded my audio to the front to gain better and louder sound. So, tells me that factory amp is about useless to push the factory speakers. But, I don’t sit in the back seat... And screw them. Lol.
So, my idea is to take the factory sub box... Alpine or HK (both you can buy online cheep with driver, alpine is little over 100 and HK is about 145) And hook it up to the factory system, by means of Alipne aftermarket amp. Or something.

so, has anyone tried this yet!? What did you use? Should be simple enough to hook up the factory sub Via the connections under the driver seat. Get the right plug or LOC. Again, just sub!
If I do decide to amp the interior speakers, I’ll get a PAC unit v.2.

Now, to you that have this sub... Is it dual voice coil!? I have a Alipne KTP-445U that I’m considering running 2 ch and bridge the 1-2 and 3-4 for the sub if dual voice and see how she runs. Or, trade that for a Mono block new in box.

really just want some bottom end and volume. I also feel that onceI lower the bass for the Eq, and allow the sub to push that, should produce some better sound.

hummm... I though I also saw someone was able to get the sub out on the factory deck to control volume for the Aftermarket amp and sub. not the PAC unit with control... sub control fro
Deck. Anyone do this!?
It’s winter, time for audio!

lapedr

Reaction score
Yes I did this in my 2019 Big Horn Blackout. I bought a used factory sub out of a 2019 Laramie that had prem-plus audio on ebay, and then wired the 6 wires of the sub to the left rear pos and neg out of the factory ANC it is absolutely awesome. I used to have a 2014 sport with the alpine 8 spkrs and sub, and this sounds just as good.

papester

Reaction score
Yes I did this in my 2019 Big Horn Blackout. I bought a used factory sub out of a 2019 Laramie that had prem-plus audio on ebay, and then wired the 6 wires of the sub to the left rear pos and neg out of the factory ANC it is absolutely awesome. I used to have a 2014 sport with the alpine 8 spkrs and sub, and this sounds just as good.
I would think by connecting the Sub the way you did you would be sending a full signal to the Sub and not just the Low frequencies.

Buck88

Reaction score
I just want my radio to go louder then 26. Once it hits 26 it doesnt get louder, and if you leave it at 38 it almost sounds like it's being turned up and down.
The 2018 audio system was so much better. Plus I also had the option to start my truck from my phone without needing to have Nav

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just want my radio to go louder then 26. Once it hits 26 it doesnt get louder, and if you leave it at 38 it almost sounds like it's being turned up and down.
The 2018 audio system was so much better. Plus I also had the option to start my truck from my phone without needing to have Nav
Check with your dealer, there was TSB that would fix issue with Amp. Not sure if this is applicable to your truck but for certain 19's

September 18, 2018 - Flash: Amplifier Enhancement - # 08-123-18

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

AngryAce

Reaction score
The stock radio does not have preamp outputs. I just picked up a 2020 1500 Night Edition Big Horn and I will move my audio gear from the 2014 Ram I had. We are stuck using the head units that come with the truck as it has too much functionality to be without it. I feel the upgraded factory sound systems still leave something to be desired so they don't work for me personally.

To do it right, we need to start with a signal processor that takes the high output signal from the head unit and converts it to preamp outputs (some amps can do this to some degree), I use a JL Audio Clean Sweep. Their new model is the FiX82 which can use a computer to make adjustments but there are many signal processors to choose from. From there, you can use any amp, speakers and subs you want. My set up is the clean sweep then

JL Audio XD700/5v2 amp
4 JL Audio c3-600 mid/tweeter sets in the doors
2 JL Audio C2-350x in the dash
JL Audio Stealth Box with 10" JL Audio 10w3v3 2 ohm sub (Made for the 4th gen Rams, fits nice under the 5th gen seat but not made specifically for it)

This system is clear, loud and pounds the bass.

Thatsme06

Reaction score
The stock radio does not have preamp outputs. I just picked up a 2020 1500 Night Edition Big Horn and I will move my audio gear from the 2014 Ram I had. We are stuck using the head units that come with the truck as it has too much functionality to be without it. I feel the upgraded factory sound systems still leave something to be desired so they don't work for me personally.

To do it right, we need to start with a signal processor that takes the high output signal from the head unit and converts it to preamp outputs (some amps can do this to some degree), I use a JL Audio Clean Sweep. Their new model is the FiX82 which can use a computer to make adjustments but there are many signal processors to choose from. From there, you can use any amp, speakers and subs you want. My set up is the clean sweep then

JL Audio XD700/5v2 amp
4 JL Audio c3-600 mid/tweeter sets in the doors
2 JL Audio C2-350x in the dash
JL Audio Stealth Box with 10" JL Audio 10w3v3 2 ohm sub (Made for the 4th gen Rams, fits nice under the 5th gen seat but not made specifically for it)

This system is clear, loud and pounds the bass.
Nice setup! Out of curiosity how are you feeding the 3.5's? Are you mounting the component tweeters in the doors?

AngryAce

Reaction score
In the 2014, I ran the 3.5" off the front output from the amp, the rear output ran all 4 c3-600s. I installed tweeters in the sails in the doors which played nicely off the 3.5s. I am not sure how I am going to set up the 2020 Ram but should be fairly similar. I really need a 7 channel amp lol

ST3500

Reaction score

I had the same Stealthbox on my 2016 RAM, what I did was: I replaced the 10w3v3 with a 10w6v3-D4, mounted on a "3/8 spacer to clear the bottom of the box.
Even so the box was kind of undersized for a 10w6, it was feed with a JL 600/1 Slash v3 amplifier that was signal processed by a Helix DSP (not the MK2, the previous version).
That single sub hit really hard...… seriously, it really did !! Deep and clean (not as deep as a ported box would, but it was definitely deeper than the 10w3 stock driver).
And the best part is that: you cannot, I repeat: you can't overdrive a w6 subwoofer to distorsion (unless you really exaggerate on the amount of power that you feed it with, of course).

Shives

Reaction score
Ok anyone just add a amp and sub to the truck? Lol. With out a clean sweep? I used to build cars for IASCA and ****. Way past all that, just want some low end. Drop the low end from the interiors, a sub amp with remote adjustment. Looking for a easy decent method. Nobody makes a single sub box for these trucks.. So I was hoping the factory sub box will drive enough.
Now what one was rated better? HK or Alpine!?

Users who are viewing this thread