5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Chirping over bumps

Dupras

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I have a 2022 ram 1500 limited that has developed some chirping went going over bumps. It’s not all the time, but it is often and it seems to go away when it is wet out. I’ve had the entire front and looked at a no one can seem to find the problem. I’ve done some research and it sounds like previous years had issues with the anti-rattle clips on the calipers making a similar sound. Does anyone know if this is still an ongoing issue or is anyone having this issue with their 2022 models? Would love any thoughts you might have as it’s beyond annoying to have a relatively new vehicle sounding like it’s 15 years old.

Hey everyone,

I have a 2022 ram 1500 limited that has developed some chirping went going over bumps. It’s not all the time, but it is often and it seems to go away when it is wet out. I’ve had the entire front and looked at a no one can seem to find the problem. I’ve done some research and it sounds like previous years had issues with the anti-rattle clips on the calipers making a similar sound. Does anyone know if this is still an ongoing issue or is anyone having this issue with their 2022 models? Would love any thoughts you might have as it’s beyond annoying to have a relatively new vehicle sounding like it’s 15 years old.

Sounds like the same brake issue others (like myself) have had as well, some described it as "cricket" chirping. That it goes away or is less when its wet is a pretty good indicator that that's the same issue, some are using wd40 or a lubricant of some sort to spray those clips down.

Sounds like the same brake issue others (like myself) have had as well, some described it as "cricket" chirping. That it goes away or is less when its wet is a pretty good indicator that that's the same issue, some are using wd40 or a lubricant of some sort to spray those clips down.
Thanks! I did think of doing this, I just didn’t wanna end up with WD40 in the area of the pads and have braking issues 😂

Thanks! I did think of doing this, I just didn’t wanna end up with WD40 in the area of the pads and have braking issues 😂

WD40 will burn off pretty fast due to friction/heat. I had it bad last summer (crickets) and sprayed the clips down pretty good, some spray will probably hit the rotor but I never a felt a difference. The can I bought also had that little red straw which came in very useful.

WD40 will burn off pretty fast due to friction/heat. I had it bad last summer (crickets) and sprayed the clips down pretty good, some spray will probably hit the rotor but I never a felt a difference. The can I bought also had that little red straw which came in very useful.
Ok that’s good to know. How long did you find it lasted.? I’ve thought about doing a brake service and having them inspect the pads/rotars and then lubricate the clips

Ok that’s good to know. How long did you find it lasted.? I’ve thought about doing a brake service and having them inspect the pads/rotars and then lubricate the clips

I reapplied it several times last summer, usually several weeks in between but depends how much you drive. Maybe once or twice since then but for reasons unknown I haven't had to touch them at all since early spring.

May be a dumb question, but has any one actually taken the time to pull the wheel off and use high temp brake grease?

May be a dumb question, but has any one actually taken the time to pull the wheel off and use high temp brake grease?

Not a dumb question, no doubt there are far better solutions to this than wd40 but for myself it's a very occasional 5 second spray when I park my truck (can is always in the back door) and I just haven't been bothered enough to fix it properly.

The dealer completely replaced my calipers (all 4) to get rid of the chirping as they were able to recreate the problem. 3 out of 4 were chirping. This was 3 years ago. The problem was completely solved.

The dealer completely replaced my calipers (all 4) to get rid of the chirping as they were able to recreate the problem. 3 out of 4 were chirping. This was 3 years ago. The problem was completely solved.

How much was it if I may ask (even if they covered it under warranty)? And was there a TSB for it or they just did it on their own?

I did the high temp grease option 3 years ago and no issues since. I'd rather do that than having to respray every few weeks.

How much was it if I may ask (even if they covered it under warranty)? And was there a TSB for it or they just did it on their own?
I don't recall the cost on the invoice, I think I may have it in the glove box, I will have to look later. No TSB they just replaced them under warranty. I remember I complained to them about it during an oil change appointment early on. They didn't have time then to do anything but said if it continues, it is cataloged and will take care of it at a later date. Well they did.

Ok, I remembered wrong. They did the brake pads all the way around. Not the calipers. That fixed it. Maybe they replaced the other HW also like the clips, not sure. There was no price on the invoice, just said N/C.

Well turns out it’s not the clips. It’s back to the drawing board but I did have the UCAs replaced with zone Off-road level kit and a new strut on thr passenger side. It sounds like it’s only coming from the passenger side so the shop I’m taking you to is going to look at replacing the upper control arms to see if that will fix the problem. I’m wondering if it’s the strut that’s making the creaking/chirping sound when going over bumps.

Well turns out it’s not the clips. It’s back to the drawing board but I did have the UCAs replaced with zone Off-road level kit and a new strut on thr passenger side. It sounds like it’s only coming from the passenger side so the shop I’m taking you to is going to look at replacing the upper control arms to see if that will fix the problem. I’m wondering if it’s the strut that’s making the creaking/chirping sound when going over bumps.
I once chased a chirp sound around for quite awhile a few years ago. Practically tore out the whole front end looking for it. Turns out it was the spare tire bouncing around in the back a little because it lost some air pressure over time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back