5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Charging System Service?

tom318

Reaction score
I got my monthly vehicle "health report" via an email and it says I need to service the charging system? I don't have any lights or faults in the truck? Is this a legitimate issue? Anyone else ever see this. Truck has 34k miles.

AMS Guru

AMS Guru, Ram Guru-ish
Reaction score
It means the truck will lay down at exactly 36,001 miles if you don't replace the entire electrical system.....

Reactions: c3k

AMS Guru

AMS Guru, Ram Guru-ish
Reaction score
In all seriousness I haven't seen that myself-it could be a "hidden" code that won't display a CEL to you as the driver. I'd have the dealer pull codes on it.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I got my monthly vehicle "health report" via an email and it says I need to service the charging system? I don't have any lights or faults in the truck? Is this a legitimate issue? Anyone else ever see this. Truck has 34k miles.
There is a TSB out for this which unfortunately means a visit to the dealer. Some Gladiator Ecodiesels are getting the same message:

tom318

Reaction score
I’ll try to set something up ASAP with the dealer just in case. I have a trip next weekend that’s about 1k miles so I’m going to be getting close to that 36k mark really quick.

StringNH

Reaction score
I have about 15k miles on my truck, I have been getting same message for the last 5k miles. I drive about 1k miles a week. No warning lights but I have noticed the volts bouncing from as low as 12.2v up to over 15v. Nominal voltage should be about 14.1v for most vehicles. I have never seen fluctuations as big as this on any of my vehicles, usually rock steady around 14v. I would typically diagnose that as a bad voltage regulator or a bad ground, less likely bad battery. I don't have time for dealer BS, every thing they do takes 2 or 3 visits minimum, because first, they cant believe there could possibly be a problem so they do nothing, send you on your way, you go back, then they need to order parts, then another return visit to install the parts and maybe its fixed, if your lucky. I need to call because it's warranty but I really don't want to.

tom318

Reaction score
I ended up canceling my appointment since I was involved in a minor crash a few weeks back and with the body shops around here being so swamped I can’t get in till early December. Had I showed up to the dealer with a list of minor issues, including this power charge fault, they would have just blamed it all on the crash I’m charged me for everything. Unfortunately I’ll be out of my 36k warranty by December so maybe the insurance company will take care of the rest.

DuckySaurusRex

Reaction score
Yea I have been getting this message to constantly on the app. It is rather annoying. for a bit I was also getting a message on the infotainment screen telling me something was wrong as well. But that has seemed to stop. Took the thing to the dealer a few times for it and showed them pictures and ****. But they tested everything under the sun that they could and nothing is wrong. I am thinking there is something in the algorithm or just parameters for that sensor to kick off. Seemed to only really do it when it got cold out. But lately it has been behaving.

Users who are viewing this thread