5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ceramic coating, yay or nay?

shrubs2000

Reaction score
Looks awsome, anything you would recommend with IHL

Looks awsome! Anything you would reccomend with IGL.

I use Adams Mega Foam in a foam cannon and in a bucket of water. Then dry with good microfiber and IGL Enhancer spray. Super easy as I only wash it about once a month. Before coating, I would wash a few times a week to keep it clean.

RT75

Reaction score
I use Adams Mega Foam in a foam cannon and in a bucket of water. Then dry with good microfiber and IGL Enhancer spray. Super easy as I only wash it about once a month. Before coating, I would wash a few times a week to keep it clean.
Yeah, I just got a quote for whole job. Honestly its pricey, probably more then I want to pay but I am going for it. Thanks for the response.

RT75

Reaction score
So my truck hasn't been washed in a week. We've had dew and frost and a little drizzle plus lots of pollen, dust and tree droppings. It actually looks pretty good, so much so that I'm not going to wash it as I had planned today. The truck was built in Jan 2020 so it's about 9 months old though I've had it for a month an a half w/1650 miles.

I'm using the Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic spray as the final rinse. View attachment 69735
Looks fantastic! It really is a beautiful truck. My Rebel is all black and just get so dirty quick.

Chippy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Looks fantastic! It really is a beautiful truck. My Rebel is all black and just get so dirty quick.

I off road and get occasional pin striping from tree branches, it’s much simpler to lightly correct a simple non ceramic protection and sealed set up than trying to correct scratches in a ceramic coat. I have ceramic on my Hellcat that is a garage queen but the truck gets hit with a quick correction with Rupes Uno Protect and then a quick P and S Beadmaker to seal. Won’t last as long as the ceramic but super simple to keep up I can do truck in 1/2 hr.

Last edited:

Patriotmobiledetail

Reaction score
Whats the cost? I'm curious...
Whats the product and steps in the prep?
I'm a pro detailer in Colorado and routinely make trips to texas to do cars..ive coated 5 members' trucks on here;)
For way cheaper than 99 percent of shops w 100 of the quality

tswea1

Reaction score
0125122430a5243f50f62a1b2ea0ba3f.jpg

d1a59a318eb1da8d88957c5fc2576630.jpg

8f27dd7b41a5edc7a2acdfe232ac9e9c.jpg

Got mine ceramic coated with Gtechniq Crystal Serum ultra along with PPF on the front hood. This is after a month since it’s last wash and living under a tree, I would highly recommend getting ceramic coating, well worth the money for trying to keep her clean

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Patriotmobiledetail

Reaction score
Gtechniq crystal serum light is a GREAT coating.
Rating 3 to 5 yrs
I'd suggest getting a good ceramic safe soap
Stay away from hard cleaners or brushes and always properly dry your car and wash it only when paint cool to the touch
Try this soap
Www.americanaglobal.net

It is made in USA.
Relatively cheap...45 dollars for a gallon and it is silica infused for great coating recharge and longevity.

Great choice!

tswea1

Reaction score
Glad to hear that! I got the ultra so supposedly good for 9 years. I was going to just stick with the Gtechniq products or have the guy who did the coating do regular maintence washes. For the price I paid for it, definitely don’t want to mess it up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RT75

Reaction score
I off road and get occasional pin striping from tree branches, it’s much simpler to lightly correct a simple non ceramic protection and sealed set up than trying to correct scratches in a ceramic coat. I have ceramic on my Hellcat that is a garage queen but the truck gets hit with a quick correction with Rupes Uno and then a quick P and S Beadmaker to seal. Won’t last as long as the ceramic but super simple to keep up I can do truck in 1/2 hr.
Everyone trucks look great, now Im second guessing the coating.

RT75

Reaction score
Whats the cost? I'm curious...
Whats the product and steps in the prep?
I'm a pro detailer in Colorado and routinely make trips to texas to do cars..ive coated 5 members' trucks on here;)
For way cheaper than 99 percent of shops w 100 of the quality
Wish I was closer. Shop wants 2k for paint correction and IGL Kenzo. The owner was knowledgable, shop has been in buisness for 5 years. I have trouble giving my truck up for a couple of days though. Dont like that part but I guess thats part of the process.

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Everyone trucks look great, now Im second guessing the coating.
You can get the same shine and appearance and protection (except the 9H) using other coatings, you'll just have to apply them more often. If you live in a climate and have the drive to clean your truck often, and remember, you still have to wash and top the ceramic, then I wouldn't feel bad about not getting the ceramic. If you have a black truck and you're OCD enough that you cant stand dust on your truck, then ceramic or not you're going to be washing a lot ;)

smikels

Reaction score
I have had ceramic coating on 2 vehicles through dealers. One of them the product was fantastic and that is my wife's car. It beads like a champ and is a year old now. It repels dirt and water so awesome. I also had another car done and it wasn't good at all. So if the right stuff is used it looks fantastic. If you do not get the right stuff though it is money down the drain in my opinion. I haven't gotten it done on my truck yet. I do use the hybrid ceramic wax and it does a pretty good job for now. I wanted to do my research and make sure I got the correct stuff applied to my truck, however I just haven't gotten it done.

Patriotmobiledetail

Reaction score
Wish I was closer. Shop wants 2k for paint correction and IGL Kenzo. The owner was knowledgable, shop has been in buisness for 5 years. I have trouble giving my truck up for a couple of days though. Dont like that part but I guess thats part of the process.
I would charge between 900 to 1300 for something comparable w claybar and paint correction.
2k is pricey

RT75

Reaction score
You can get the same shine and appearance and protection (except the 9H) using other coatings, you'll just have to apply them more often. If you live in a climate and have the drive to clean your truck often, and remember, you still have to wash and top the ceramic, then I wouldn't feel bad about not getting the ceramic. If you have a black truck and you're OCD enough that you cant stand dust on your truck, then ceramic or not you're going to be washing a lot ;)
Yeah, I will be cleaning a lot with or without... I am definately OCD.

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah, I will be cleaning a lot with or without... I am definately OCD.
I just literally went out to the truck with the intention of washing it, or at least hosing it down since we had drizzle this morning and I was driving on wet roads. Somewhat disappointed I came back in and sat down by the computer. My truck is still clean. I didn't notice this performance after the first two rinse off Meguiar's Ceramic Hybrid Spray applications but after the third application a week or so ago the truck is really staying free from all sorts of dirt and spots.

RT75

Reaction score
Thats great, I used their quick detailer in the past and I know its not the same type of product I always had good results.

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well, I just put a deposit down on the weekend of Nov 14th for a Kenzo. I don't have a garage but his process (Saturday through late morning on Monday) has the truck in his shop for the required cure time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/