5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Centering Steering Wheel

OhioBigHorn

Reaction score
Good day

My truck has the Bilstein 5100 leveling struts set on clip 4. I bought the truck new and the wheel was perfectly straight. After the leveling kit the wheel always seems to wants to rest at the eleven o'clock position. If I hold wheel straight I would drive off to the right side of the road. The install shop did do the alignment and everything showed perfect on the machine but they made 4 attempts to straighten wheel and could not get it any better and told me I would have to take it somewhere else. The shop I went to today could get it no better. They are going to try again next week. They mentioned maybe some kind of sensor. Is there some sort of calibration we are missing. Does the dealer need to do it. The truck does drive straight down the road. Maybe expecting too much after a level? Any advice is appreciated.

Good day

My truck has the Bilstein 5100 leveling struts set on clip 4. I bought the truck new and the wheel was perfectly straight. After the leveling kit the wheel always seems to wants to rest at the eleven o'clock position. If I hold wheel straight I would drive off to the right side of the road. The install shop did do the alignment and everything showed perfect on the machine but they made 4 attempts to straighten wheel and could not get it any better and told me I would have to take it somewhere else. The shop I went to today could get it no better. They are going to try again next week. They mentioned maybe some kind of sensor. Is there some sort of calibration we are missing. Does the dealer need to do it. The truck does drive straight down the road. Maybe expecting too much after a level? Any advice is appreciated.
There's no sensor. It is a mechanical connection.

I looked through what I have of the service maual and nowhere does it mention resetting a steering angle sensor. Which isn't absolute, because the factory manual is kinda weak.

However, it was okay, you changed suspension parts, and now it's not okay. Something got messed up with the leveling. If the camber is off, it's going to pull, and then you'll have to fight it with the wheel. Does it track straight if you let go of the wheel on a smooth road? If yes, the tie-rods need adjusting. If no, the camber needs adjusting, and then the toe needs to be reset again.

It wouuld help if you posted the alignment printout.

Thanks for your help sorry didn't have the print out. It does drive straight with hands off the wheel. The steering wheel is just ****ed slightly to the left. I have an appointment next week and they are going to try again. He just said something about hooking his scanner to it with these electric type steering. I have no clue.

Thanks for your help sorry didn't have the print out. It does drive straight with hands off the wheel. The steering wheel is just ****ed slightly to the left. I have an appointment next week and they are going to try again. He just said something about hooking his scanner to it with these electric type steering. I have no clue.
There is an angle sensor in the steering. But it doesn't have anything to do with the steering wheel being straight. This isn't steer by wire. It is mechanically connected. A good alignment shop can fix it.

Ok Will give this shop one more try. Between both shops they have made 5 attempts already. I appreciate your help

Users who are viewing this thread

Back