5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Catch can review

K1135

Reaction score
So about a month ago I bought a UPR catch can from amazon. After 2 weeks and 600 miles it caught about a 1/4 inch of oil in the can. I didn't measure it out but I has happy it was doing its job or I thought. I took the hose to the intake and it was wet so I cleaned it and retested again and it was still catching oil but also making its way into the intake. Needless to say it was catching the majority but not all so I just order a Mishimoto and see if I get any positive result. I'm not here to debate whether it needs one or not just my preference but if you have a catch can have you ever took the intake hose off and look if it was dry? Photos what the system looks like. I put it on my truck when It had about 200 miles on it.

Attachments

• 20200818_133402.jpg
    20200818_133402.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 109
  • 20200818_133409.jpg
    20200818_133409.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I'll check mine tonight (Mishimoto) but it's doubtful that it would catch all the oil. Figuring out if one is better than the other sounds like a fun experiment though

K1135

Reaction score
From the YouTube video the person reviewing the Mishimoto can had no oil In the hose going to the intake which clearly was doing ita job so I was like let me check mine out. Yup its doing part of its job LOL

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Okay, just checked the tube to the inlet on my Mishimoto and it was dry. Get rid of that UPR can lol. I guess the Mishimoto was worth the price!

Bassinb

Reaction score
I had a no name cheap catch can off of ebay on for about 500 miles and it looked to be catching ~50% of the oil. I threw that in the trash and put on a mishimoto. 1000 miles since and there is zero oil in the intake hose, plus it is way easier to screw/unscrew to empty.

BilletLaramie57

Reaction score
Installing UPR can right now... Guess I'll check mine in a few hundred and see how it all looks.

K1135

Reaction score
Yea its funny when you see it catching oil you think its doing its job but to stop and think to check the inlet hose is it really dry? Lol I'm returning the UPR and have the Mishimoto by Saturday

BilletLaramie57

Reaction score
Yea its funny when you see it catching oil you think its doing its job but to stop and think to check the inlet hose is it really dry? Lol I'm returning the UPR and have the Mishimoto by Saturday

Are they allowing you to return it after it’s been used?

Kob0583

Reaction score
I have a UPR and mine looks nothing like yours. I have the one with the offset baffle it’s black. My hose is dry, though I’ll check again but I pulled it off the other day both sides and the inlet side was wet but fine on the other side.
df49cf1ca5e738822038c790de64250f.jpg

Mine looks similar to this, you can buy this part for $30 might be cheaper and give you a better result. You have a single baffle so you could getting blow by across the baffle this design is suppose to stop that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

K1135

Reaction score
I have a UPR and mine looks nothing like yours. I have the one with the offset baffle it’s black. My hose is dry, though I’ll check again but I pulled it off the other day both sides and the inlet side was wet but fine on the other side.
df49cf1ca5e738822038c790de64250f.jpg

Mine looks similar to this, you can buy this part for $30 might be cheaper and give you a better result. You have a single baffle so you could getting blow by across the baffle this design is suppose to stop that.

The problem with spending 30 is the total cost would be about 170 so for that Im just going to return it and get the Mishimoto. Not sure if mine is the new design or old design

Last edited:

Kob0583

Reaction score
The problem with spending 30 is the total cost would be about 170 so for the Im just going to return it and get the Mishimoto. Not sure if mine is the new design or old design

Mine came with the offset baffle and I bought direct from UPR is was only $130. You might have an old one maybe.
0f02092929fc098d932c414a032e497e.jpg

This is mine. If went with this vs Mishmoto because I wanted the hoses to stay below my ram air, nothing wrong with Mishmoto mine choice was in part aesthetic. I’m going to check my hose again but last time I pulled it off it was fine. Hope you get what your looking for.

Kob0583

Reaction score

This is the link for the UPR CC, it’s not like yours you may have a older model.

K1135

Reaction score

This is the link for the UPR CC, it’s not like yours you may have a older model.

So got an e-mail from URP about the catch can and the one I got is their NEW style ‍♂️

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes, that is correct. There are two styles of UPR Catch Cans...the offset baffle and the flat baffle. The offset is the older model and the flat is the newer model.

Another thing you can check besides your hose for dryness is keep an eye on your rear stainless exhaust tips. If they don't have soot collecting on them anymore, then you know the UPR Catch Can is doing it's job. I haven't had to scrub a chrome/stainless exhaust tip since I installed the UPR Catch Can on four of our family Rams.

K1135

Reaction score
Yes, that is correct. There are two styles of UPR Catch Cans...the offset baffle and the flat baffle. The offset is the older model and the flat is the newer model.

Another thing you can check besides your hose for dryness is keep an eye on your rear stainless exhaust tips. If they don't have soot collecting on them anymore, then you know the UPR Catch Can is doing it's job. I haven't had to scrub a chrome/stainless exhaust tip since I installed the UPR Catch Can on four of our family Rams.

Good to know. I ended up returning it for the Mishimoto and so far after 1000 miles nothing on the intake hose. so I think the Mishimoto is well worth it.

raygun9

Reaction score
Mine came with the offset baffle and I bought direct from UPR is was only $130. You might have an old one maybe.
0f02092929fc098d932c414a032e497e.jpg

This is mine. If went with this vs Mishmoto because I wanted the hoses to stay below my ram air, nothing wrong with Mishmoto mine choice was in part aesthetic. I’m going to check my hose again but last time I pulled it off it was fine. Hope you get what your looking for.

Super old thread but, is this a billet tech? I just traded in my 2012 ram for a 2020 rebel and love the looks of this...

Users who are viewing this thread