5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Carplay stopped working after Saturday update

silver64

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I saw a message on my screen asking me if I wanted to do the update today (Saturday the 27th) or in a few hours. I said now and after a while I got another message telling me the update was complete. Prior to the update my phone had no problems using Carplay. After the update the Carplay icon does not appear and none of the Carplay features are accessible.

I did the normal things like reset my Apple iphone which has the latest software version and checked all the settings I could remember in both the iphone and the Uconnect. I sent a message to Chrysler Customer Care on Saturday to see if they could provide any clues on this.

I'm wondering if this update was one of those that requires you to delete everything and start over. My radio presets were also lost so this is what makes me think it was a major update. Maybe it finally going to use the Bluetooth instead of the wired connection????????

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It was most definitely a major update, I would go through the original setup you did when you got connected the first time, including any permissions.

busa2009

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I saw a message on my screen asking me if I wanted to do the update today (Saturday the 27th) or in a few hours. I said now and after a while I got another message telling me the update was complete. Prior to the update my phone had no problems using Carplay. After the update the Carplay icon does not appear and none of the Carplay features are accessible.

I did the normal things like reset my Apple iphone which has the latest software version and checked all the settings I could remember in both the iphone and the Uconnect. I sent a message to Chrysler Customer Care on Saturday to see if they could provide any clues on this.

I'm wondering if this update was one of those that requires you to delete everything and start over. My radio presets were also lost so this is what makes me think it was a major update. Maybe it finally going to use the Bluetooth instead of the wired connection????????

What radio nav 12 inch what’s your software

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SCasey89

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What radio nav 12 inch what’s your software

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
From what I'm gathering, I believe the update they are referring to is only on the 8.4 Radios, not the 12's

silver64

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Response from corporate customer service:

1. Make sure that CarPlay is supported on your vehicle or Uconnect® system. Dumb response since I told them it worked before the upgrade!

2. Plug your iPhone into the CarPlay USB port using an Apple certified cord. If the CarPlay Home screen doesn’t appear, select the CarPlay logo on your Uconnect touchscreen. The problem reported was the Carplay icon NEVER appears.

3. Make sure that your vehicle is running.

4. Ask Siri® for what you need. You can do this as follows:

• Press and hold the Voice Recognition button on your steering wheel. Then ask for what you need.
YOUTUBE VIDEO INSTRUCTION:

1. Please note: CarPlay will work with every iPhone from the iPhone 5 on. Apparently not since I have an iphone 7
  2. To pair an iPhone with a vehicle you must plug it into the dashboard with a Lightning cable. Theres no place on the dashboard to plug in a cable they are on hubs and the one that works for Carplay is on the backside of the center console. When your car detects that your iPhone has been connected, the CarPlay icon will automatically pop up. Not happening since the latest upgrade. Don't they test this software first? Current FCA US vehicles support CarPlay over a wired connection.
  3. Yes, CarPlay uses your phone's data plan. Please visit your carrier’s website for data usage and charges.

Should you still have concern, the next step is to drop by the nearest FCA dealership from there they can take a quick glance at your radio, to see if there are any concerns.
This will determine what the next steps should be.

Please do not hesitate to contact us if you need any further assistance by replying to this email or calling us at FCA 800-247-9753

Thank you again for your email. Have a great day.

Best regards,

FCA Customer Care

Johnwi

Reaction score
I’m not receiving text message notifications since upgrading to the new iPhone 12 Pro. It’s turned on but I don’t receive a notification on my screen. I‘ve called Uconnect and they were of no help. They told me there’s an update that supposed to be out later this year. No idea if that fixes my problem. Very frustrating how you pay for the entire service and they can’t deliver on all of it.

silver64

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I took my truck into the dealer yesterday so we will see what they say.

silver64

Ram Guru
Reaction score
UPDATE*****
Picked up the truck from the dealer. Apparently when the update was done it changed which USB ports will activate Carplay when you plug in your phone. In my truck there are two ports on the lower dash panel & two on the back side of the center console. One of the ports on the back of the center console was previously the only one that worked with Carplay. Now the only ports that work are on the dash. In retrospect I should have tried to move the cable to other ports to see if it worked.

That said when software changes are made we should be updated that the USB configuration was changed for Carplay. I have a USB Flash drive with music on USB 1 (the top port) and the phone is plugged into USB 2 the bottom port. USB ports 3 & 4 are now for charging only.

Mr4x403

Reaction score
Dangit. That is crap. I liked having the rear ports work with my phone resting on the center console. I hate having the cords running from the dash. Ughhh. Guess i just wont use carplay

Johnwi

Reaction score
I drove to the store today and and was about to exit my vehicle and received a text message notification through Uconnect so I guess mine is working again. No clue why. I've been using my wired Apple Car Play since Uconnect wasn't sending me text alerts and I must say I like being able to send custom texts using Car Play. I think the text feature of car play works better than the Uconnect for text messages

Users who are viewing this thread