5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CarPlay no longer working - Need a software upgrade

rohsboss

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I need some assistance with getting a software upgrade for my UConnect 4 screen on my 2019 Big Horn. The dealership is trying to charge me $300 to do an upgrade which I think is insane.

I’ve attached all the photos of my radio screen. It looks like I’m running 18.28.10. When I called RamCares they said there’s a newer version out there.

Has anyone else had issues with CarPlay not working after the iOS 17 upgrade? Does anyone happen to have these software versions so that I can perform the update manually with a USB drive?

I appreciate y’all. Have a great day.

Attachments

• IMG_5379.jpeg
    IMG_5379.jpeg
    98 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_5378.jpeg
    IMG_5378.jpeg
    101.4 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_5377.jpeg
    IMG_5377.jpeg
    101.1 KB · Views: 49

Bean2k13

Reaction score
I’ve got the big screen on my 2019 and I am also not able to use CarPlay through the usb cable

rohsboss

Reaction score
I’ve got the big screen on my 2019 and I am also not able to use CarPlay through the usb cable
I even have one of those Carlinkit wireless adapters for mine, and it still does not work with that like it used to.

JohnFromNJ

Reaction score
Carplay also stopped working for me after the IOS upgrade. I have an older iPhone (2nd Gen SE), but my wife's iPhone 14 also does not work. I typed my VIN into driveuconnect.com and it said I did not need an upgrade.
I don't know how OP got to the hardware/software screens. I can't find any "Dealer" location in my settings.
I removed my vehicle from Carplay, restarted my phone, checked the screen settings, disconnected the battery for 20 minutes, brought a new usb-c cable. The Carplay app on my phone never shows my car under "Available Cars".
My hope is that Apple or Uconnect will realise there is an issue and provide a fix.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Did they tell you what's the most current version? Mine is on 18.48.16, can't find seem to find much info about the Uconnect 4C 8.4 non-nav

JohnFromNJ

Reaction score
No, just a pop-up that there are no updates available. I reset my iPhone, and had the battery disconnected for an hour. Still unable to get CarPlay to detect my car when using usb-c to lightning cable.

ZombieSlayer

Reaction score
Make sure CarPlay isn't restricted in Settings > Screen Time > Content & Privacy Restrictions, tap Allowed Apps and confirm CarPlay is enabled. If that doesn't work go in to Settings > General > CarPlay, tap your Car, followed by Forget This Car

Then go in and set up carplay for the truck again

Taken from some random google search :D

JohnFromNJ

Reaction score
Carplay also stopped working for me after the IOS upgrade. I have an older iPhone (2nd Gen SE), but my wife's iPhone 14 also does not work. I typed my VIN into driveuconnect.com and it said I did not need an upgrade.
I don't know how OP got to the hardware/software screens. I can't find any "Dealer" location in my settings.
I removed my vehicle from Carplay, restarted my phone, checked the screen settings, disconnected the battery for 20 minutes, brought a new usb-c cable. The Carplay app on my phone never shows my car under "Available Cars".
My hope is that Apple or Uconnect will realise there is an issue and provide a fix.
Update, I noticed that my USB was also not recognising USB data sticks, so I grabbed a new USB hub (6839 7098 AE). I was planning on installing so I decided to take a peek at what was involved. I removed the console cover (two screws on top under the pad) and reached around for the media hub to see if I could access it without removing the whole center console. I could not, but after putting things back together, CarPlay works. Anyone reading this could simply try to jiggle the wires on the USB hub to see if CarPlay comes back.

KKearney

Reaction score
Hi all. I had the same issue with my 2019 with UC4. Tried all of the recommended fixes and none worked. Bought a replacement USB hub, removed 4 or 6 (can’t remember how many) easily accessible screws, and slide the center console back. From there it was pretty straightforward to disconnect the old usb hub, plug the new one in and it has been working since! I did that in December and it’s been rock solid. The part was $38 including shipping.

BTW this is my first Ram, and I am less than impressed by Mopar service. I had the truck in to address an exhaust leak and asked to have the CarPlay issue diagnosed. For $135 they confirmed what I knew, that it didn’t work. BUT they wanted to replace the UC 4 ($2500) so they didn’t “throw parts at it“. Truck not under warranty so passed, replaced the hub myself. Works great. Good luck to all!

Users who are viewing this thread