5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CarPlay intermittent connection

boldram

Reaction score
Tried different iPhone and several lighting cables still works some days.
Would stay connected for a few days and stop for a few days. updated phone, reset Uniconnect nothing helps.
I don't believe that this is a physical connection issue. I don't like Bluetooth connection i prefer a wired one so it does CarPlay and charges same time.
Is there a dealer bulletin or a recall? i have heard a lot of people complaining.

boogielander

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
maybe try wireless carplay instead and see what happens?
the only time I plugged it in to charge while running carplay was the only time it gave me the same issue.

after that I moved on to wireless charger using the 110v underneath and a USB-C wireless charger and wirelss carplay and it never gave me anymore issues unless i take the phone out far away from the truck while it was running.

I used this wireless charger:
and this USB cable:

I secured the charger to the OE phone holder location via 3M Velcro tape and after 2 years it's still doing well.

PS: wireless carplay is through Wifi, not bluetooth.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Would stay connected for a few days and stop for a few days. updated phone, reset Uniconnect nothing helps.
I don't believe that this is a physical connection issue. I don't like Bluetooth connection i prefer a wired one so it does CarPlay and charges same time.
Is there a dealer bulletin or a recall? i have heard a lot of people complaining.
Does it only happen when it’s hot outside? Could be the usb media hub

Also can you share some details about your truck, or possibly make a signature with the info?

uncc_99xj

Reaction score
I know you've updated the phone, but have you tried unpairing it completely and repairing it? I've had to do that a couple of times to clear up connectivity issues with carplay.

Dktampa

Reaction score
I finally have resolution on intermittent connectivity. There is an obscure control in iPhone (14 at least) that must be toggled on to reduce security on the usb connection. It is under SETTINGS, FACE ID & PASSCODES (must put in your passcode) then scroll to bottom ACCESSORIES. Default is toggled off. Toggle on. I just bought the 23 Laramie last week and after dealing with the CarPlay dropping out multiple times took it to dealer for updated programming. They said I had the most recent version.

Jmac509

Reaction score
Does it only happen when it’s hot outside? Could be the usb media hub

Also can you share some details about your truck, or possibly make a signature with the info?
It's interesting you mention the heat. I noticed my front USB ports don't charge when its too hot.

Occasionally I run into infotainment issues with carplay either not connecting or freezing and they have always been resolved by resetting the headunit. Just hold the power button on the volume dial down for 10 seconds and it reboots. The infotainment does not reboot on it's own and stays active even when the truck is off so it doesn't hurt to reboot it once in a while. This happens to all of my vehicles so isn't a ram specific thing.

Users who are viewing this thread