5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Carfax -can dealers backdate entries for service?

IGottaQ

Reaction score
Had telcon with salesman regarding a 38Kmi truck on their lot that Carfax shows oil changes done at their dealership at 8,600 to 10,200 mile intervals.
Recommended interval=8Kmi, and the more applicable recommended interval for this truck may have been 3.5-5K miles since it has a Class IV hitch and trailer brakes.
They called back and said the Service Mgr reviewed the record and "Carfax is missing oil change entries that were done in their shop -the actual oil change interval is much more frequent".
I like Carfax, it's better than nothing but I realize it's not gospel. Interesting that the "missed documentation" fell between fairly consistent extended intervals.
Cynical me assumes that it is possible for a dealer can edit Carfax to backfill the oil change record to document timely maintenance(?)
I told them if I look at the truck, will want to see the "more frequent" service record. Regardless, not inclined to believe it.
Reasonable concern? Lots of these 2021's out there so can be selective.
thanks for your time.

Users who are viewing this thread