5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can you install a dropdown step without messing with OEM specs

Fubarsquid

Reaction score
Wondering if it is possible to install an aftermarket OEM driver corner step on rebel ecodiesel. Sticker said when I purchased it NA with multifunction tailgate. Does anyone know why that is. Also new to the forum and fifth gens. Thanks in advance.

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wondering if it is possible to install an aftermarket OEM driver corner step on rebel ecodiesel. Sticker said when I purchased it NA with multifunction tailgate. Does anyone know why that is. Also new to the forum and fifth gens. Thanks in advance.
There are users here that have installed the step and have the MFT as will I in the spring. You cannot install both the corner step and the MFT step if that's really what you're asking.

Fubarsquid

Reaction score
No I suppose what I'm really asking is with the MFT can I install the MFT step either the corner one or the one in the center on my 2020 without cutting welding to reduce deviation from OEM. Also not sure why it would not come with the bed utility group as it was listed NAW

Fubarsquid

Reaction score
No I suppose what I'm really asking is with the MFT can I install the MFT step either the corner one or the one in the center on my 2020 without cutting welding to reduce deviation from OEM. Also not sure why it would not come with the bed utility group as it was listed NAW
I'll roll with either step if its center or left but not sure the application process as well as if it's possible without invasive measures, should be ready to go from Ram out the door. Kinda upset about that

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There are some discussions on this topic from a while back. I think the MFT step was just late to the game and didn't make it with some of the earlier deliveries even though they had advertised it....hence the4 NAW.

The steps are different for the corner and center and I don't believe you have to cut anything. On my '15 the corner step required the removal of a bracket (screwed on) and then bolted into the existing bumper bracket..I cant imagine the 2020 is much different.

From my perspective which step you decide on has a lot to do on how you use the bed. I find that I really dont need a center step if I use the swing open gate but I absolutely need the corner step when using the tailgate in the conventional mode...like with a trailer attached so since you can only install one, I'm going for the corner.

NewLove

Ram Guru
Reaction score
In the same boat. Wish I can install both. I see myself constantly using the swing gate and stepping up on the bumper. Coming back down off the bed I almost killed myself stepping down a number of times. Being I have a Rebel it’s a little higher than the rest so I think I’m gonna go with the center step.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
In the same boat. Wish I can install both. I see myself constantly using the swing gate and stepping up on the bumper. Coming back down off the bed I almost killed myself stepping down a number of times. Being I have a Rebel it’s a little higher than the rest so I think I’m gonna go with the center step.

I just lower the air suspension. ;) But seriously, for a short fat guy the combination of air suspension and MFT cant be beat!

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score

If you have a hitch receiver you could get a hitch step for the center and the corner step for the down tailgate.

RickWaz

Reaction score

This was posted 09/12/20 by @Limited38 who managed to install both, after some slick machining!

Yes it can be done. Modified Mopar P/N 82216265A bed step. Machined mounting flange to clear existing corner step structure, trimmed corner step lower mounting flange & drilled new mounting bolt hole. It worked out slick. Now I have the best of both worlds.

NewLove

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Installed the Mopar center step today. It’s great!.. and I don’t have to worry about killing myself stepping up and down into the bed anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread